First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Went like 18 months without a crack. Finally got a chip/crack, had it replaced for free through insurance. 1 week later, the new one gets a big chip. Luckily hasn't grown and it's on the passenger side.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Pretty sure new age glass is just week as all hell. My YJ didnt have cracks in it, just small little rock chips. Same thing with my Dodge stealth. That thing took rocks like a champ. My GTI and now my JL though..... it sees a pebble and it instantly cracks.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the club! I’m on windshield 3 in just over a year (15 mo). #3 got a crack in it just 5 days after it was replaced. So yep....enjoy. Lol

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
On my last JL I had a crack 2 weeks in. I was so pissed, the crack was like 2 feet long across. Once I got home, I didn't drive the Jeep until the glass was replaced.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Lost my first windshield after about 3 months. Second one has some chips, but, fingers crossed, no cracks yet. Anyone going Gorilla Glass on the next one?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Lost my first windshield after about 3 months. Second one has some chips, but, fingers crossed, no cracks yet. Anyone going Gorilla Glass on the next one?
I am for sure. So far my Windshield has been ok (and hope it stays that way). But if it does crack, it gives me an excuse to go Gorilla.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
It is the luck of the draw.

Here in Calgary, they use a dirt combination for snow traction (can't remember the science of why). So, on the positive side, cars do not rust nearly as fast as in the East ... but there are so many rocks in the dirt, Calgary has the highest amount of windshield replacement shops per capita in North America.

My wife had her Mazda's windshield crack on the way home from the dealership!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I am for sure. So far my Windshield has been ok (and hope it stays that way). But if it does crack, it gives me an excuse to go Gorilla.
Gorilla glass will add some protection, but the right angle/speed of rock will crack any windshield. I am curious to see, over a 5-8 year period, if the extra cost for Gorilla glass will be justified.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Heard that God awful sound you never want to hear on a Wrangler... Then analyzed the windshield and sure enough one week in, she's cracked 🙄
Jeep Wrangler JL Cracked one week in Resized_20210323_080344
When I first bought my Acura TL about 11 years ago, I (over) paid for some sort of windshield coating. I say overpaid, as I found out that it was half the price directly with the place. However, when I traded it in, I had several large hits that never cracked it. 11 years with a windshield, driving on country dirt roads means it was likely money well spent. Maybe look into something like that.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Stock windows are $60.00 that's why Safelight and the insurance charge $100.00 it's a wash for them. if you try for two replacements in a year, they are making money, insurance will not cover it.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Talk to your insurance agent and see if windshield replacements are covered under the comprehensive coverage. If so, I suggest lowering the deductible to $0 for future mishaps. *Some insurance companies have their own full glass coverage, separate from comprehensive.
Sponsored