Sponsored

Thoughts on ETorque long-term?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Also, there undoubtedly will be " E Torque Delete" kits available by then, to convert to ESS type, or all electric motor install kits
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Does anyone know why FCA removed the eTorque system from the 2.0 and put it on the 3.6?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Possibly the 3.6 makes a little less low end torque than the 2.0t
I highly doubt this. At idle (actually with the engine stopped), the turbo hasn't spooled, and the 2.0 will act as though it's naturally aspirated 2.0.

Think about it, it doesn't take 90ft.lbs of torque to turn over a healthy 3.6. I can turn over a 3.6 with a 1/" drive ratchet .
I should have clarified this earlier: Obviously the torque is used for more than just starting the engine, as it wouldn't be able to be considered a hybrid if it were just a second starter motor. The BSG is not just starting the engine... it is also accelerating it to idle speed in a fraction of a second. This is why the ESS in the eTorque is smooth vs. the non eTorque.

Turning over an engine at 2 RPM by hand takes a lot less torque than the starter cranking the motor at ~200 RPM, which also takes a lot less torque than accelerating everything to ~1000 RPM in less than 1 second. Yes, the tune allows for less than a full rotation before starting, but you still have to rotate at least through one compression cycle. The larger rotating mass or one with more friction (cylinders/camshafts/compression/etc.) is going to be harder to get spinning quickly for a smooth start.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Add me to the list of those who wanted to avoid e-torque at all costs and are now very happy with it.

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
No one knows. Could be many many, many reasons that we havenā€™t even considered.
Now I'm even more curious on why Jeep decided to put a 3.6 eTorque engine in the JL, but not offer it in the JT. For the 2021 model year.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Does anyone know why FCA removed the eTorque system from the 2.0 and put it on the 3.6?
Several of us speculated on this a while back. We concluded its to create more space between the ā€œhybridsā€ with the e-torque system and the actual PHEV 4xe.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
E torque does not have a small aux battery. Yours is not an e torque system if you have that.
Really? Not trying to be contrary, but everything I've seen/read suggests otherwise, including this Chrysler article, which states "A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator...":

Jeep Wrangler eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology (chryslerfactoryplans.com)

Now I'm confused, but not curious enough (yet) to actually pull my fender off and just check for myself.

Last edited:

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Really? No trying to be contrary, but everything I've seen/read suggests otherwise, including this Chrysler article, which states "A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator...":

Now I'm confused, but not curious enough (yet) to actually pull my fender off and just check for myself.
You are confusing the terms. The ā€œsmall aux batteryā€ for non e torque systems are located behind the glovebox. Its like a small motorcycle battery.
The 48v e torque battery is located underneath the jeep in the rear. Its much bigger, liquid cooled, and encased, so calling it a small aux battery would be inappropriate. Hope this helps.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are confusing the terms. The ā€œsmall aux batteryā€ for non e torque systems are located behind the glovebox. Its like a small motorcycle battery.
The 48v e torque battery is located underneath the jeep in the rear. Its much bigger, liquid cooled, and encased, so calling it a small aux battery would be inappropriate. Hope this helps.
LOL...thanks, and appreciate the clarification!šŸ‘ I assume the battery location is the same for 3.6L on a 2-door?

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Now I'm even more curious on why Jeep decided to put a 3.6 eTorque engine in the JL, but not offer it in the JT. For the 2021 model year.
It's probably mostly a balance of CAFE fines, cost of production, and selling price.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's probably mostly a balance of CAFE fines, cost of production, and selling price.
^^^ this.

Plus FCA, especially under Marchionne, liked to live on the edge of what is legal and illegal.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
LOL...thanks, and appreciate the clarification!šŸ‘ I assume the battery location is the same for 3.6L on a 2-door?
Also to clarify.

If you got the non-etorque, be ready for a set of bloody knuckles to replace that $&#$^!@^%&@#^%POS small battery under the fuse box.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also to clarify.

If you got the non-etorque, be ready for a set of bloody knuckles to remove that $&#$^!@^%&@#^%POS small battery under the fuse box.
Luckily, I ordered etorque but still haven't laid eyes on it yet, as my JL won't arrive until next week (fingers crossed).

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Really? Not trying to be contrary, but everything I've seen/read suggests otherwise, including this Chrysler article, which states "A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator...":

No one with etorque has actually looked under the fuse box to see if itā€™s just empty space or if they used the space to put something else related to eTorque, but as the poster after you said, we can guarantee you will not find a small auxiliary battery there, or the eTorque battery for that matter, because the eTorque Lithium battery is next to the gas tank on the drivers side and it has its own liquid cooling and skid plate.

Here is a schematic of where the battery is located, the battery being number 3, with #1 being the Motor/Generator Unit and #2 being the orange 48v positive and negative cables going between the PPU and the MGU:
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? 1691B225-8534-4267-86E0-C98E49BB4C1A

Here is a photo of it under the jeep:
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? F3CC99E8-E93B-4801-B9AC-7F552CD0A73F

Here is the battery (called a Power Pack Unit) out of the Jeep:
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? 6F5C56B6-3B73-4E50-BC84-D85ADD0972DB
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? 76C5D24A-CC84-4395-B685-85175E4B6CA4
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? A9F054CF-3F79-4DA8-BC4F-680A59DCE8AB

The PPU includes a 3kW DC to DC converter used to power all accessories during a Start/Stop event and to charge the conventional Lead Acid battery whenever the engine is running.

And finally, here is a photo of the undercarriage of a Jeep without eTorque, where you can see the empty space beside the gas tank where Jeep engineers chose to place the PPU on eTorque Jeeps:
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on ETorque long-term? 81131AD3-6832-407D-BFF6-0AFC072D64D9

I hope this helps!

All images taken from EBay and Google Images.
Sponsored