Rear End Damage - repairable or total?

Azad

First Name
Azad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
We recently got rear ended by someone going appropriately 40 mph while we were sitting at a red light. I am wondering if anyone has gone thru this kind of damage and want to know what you think if they will be able to repair it or is it going to be total.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20210319_165440

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20210319_172730

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20210319_172710

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20210319_172702

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20210320_151206

20210320_151247.jpg

20210320_151303.jpg
Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Hopefully no one was hurt.
My wife had the same thing happen to her in her car. It was totaled.
If the Jeep's frame is bent, it is probably going to be totaled but you won't know for sure until your insurance adjuster makes the call.
Hopefully the driver who hit you has insurance.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got rear ended in my 2009 JKUR. The Prius was destroyed; my Jeep showed little damage; most of it cosmetic.

The at-fault guy’s insurance paid to repair my Jeep.

A few weeks after I got my Jeep back, I noticed a grinding noise in 4th and 6th gears —it was a 6-speed stickshift. Brought it back to the body shop, and they found a transmission mount was bent. It was $800 to fix. The insurer refused to pay any more, so I was SOL.

When you take your Jeep to the body shop for an estimate, make sure they put it up on the lift and take a good look at the entire frame, and check all suspension, transmission, transfer case and engine mounts.

Good luck.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I bought a salvage jeep a bit over a year ago that had exactly the same damage, but on the right side. Same wrinkle in the frame near the shock mounting location.

It will be total loss. But is very repairable. Biggest issue - insurance will deam frame not repairable and that will put a huge price tag on repair bill.

My repair cost cost me me 5k for parts and labor to repair. Frame was pulled and patch welded (no different then repairing rusted Jeep frame).

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200322_173833

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200322_191051

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200529_162609

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200414_082036

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200612_162131

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear End Damage - repairable or total? 20200712_165856

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I got rear ended in my 2009 JKUR. The Prius was destroyed; my Jeep showed little damage; most of it cosmetic.

A few weeks after I got my Jeep back, I noticed a grinding noise in 4th and 6th gears —it was a 6-speed stickshift. Brought it back to the body shop, and they found a transmission mount was bent. It was $800 to fix. The insurer refused to pay any more, so I was SOL.

When you take your Jeep to the body shop for an estimate, make sure they put it up on the lift and take a good look at the entire frame, and check all suspension, transmission, transfer case and engine mounts.

Good luck.
I’d go one step further and have a dealer do a full inspection after repairs and get it in writing that the repairs were performed properly and it still has full warranty (assuming it’s still under warranty of course).

The last two vehicles we had repaired, (both times was the result of an elk hit) the bodyshop that did the repairs offered a lifetime warranty on all parts and labour and our insurance company assured us they would back the repairs as well.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500

Good luck.
@aldo98229 just curious... what insurance company was it that borked you?

Buzzbomb9

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Metallic JLU
Hope everyone’s alright. Unfortunately you are probably lookin at a total loss. Just by the frame damage itself, insurance companies are not to fond of taking the chance of further issues and the high cost of frame repair. Start pulling any upgraded parts off your Jeep before an insurance adjuster get a look at it.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I just went through this in January. It’s a total loss.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hope everyone’s alright. Unfortunately you are probably lookin at a total loss. Just by the frame damage itself, insurance companies are not to fond of taking the chance of further issues and the high cost of frame repair. Start pulling any upgraded parts off your Jeep before an insurance adjuster get a look at it.
Not just upgraded parts, pull everything you can off of it that doesn't look "obviously missing" to an insurance adjuster.

If it's got LED package, pull that too and replace it with Halogen you can grab for free on craigslist.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Was just watching some videos today, ironically, about how the addition of sensors, cameras and safety systems has caused many accidents that were once minor repairs to write the vehicle off. In one, a Range Rover was written off from a front end collision and the hood did not have a scratch or dent, due to all of the electronics damaged.

While Wranglers are not luxury vehicles like a Range Rover, don’t discount those items to add up the cost. They will also be the ones that will add to your grief if the car is not written off (JLs have enough electrical issues on their own without an accident) ... push for a write off!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I’d go one step further and have a dealer do a full inspection after repairs and get it in writing that the repairs were performed properly and it still has full warranty (assuming it’s still under warranty of course).

The last two vehicles we had repaired, (both times was the result of an elk hit) the bodyshop that did the repairs offered a lifetime warranty on all parts and labour and our insurance company assured us they would back the repairs as well.

Good luck.
At that point, I would've gotten an Attorney involved. There is no way the body shop correctly fixed the damage, or neglected to diagnose and correct the transmission issues. I for one don't like using Attorneys for body damage only collisions but when the insurance refuses to right the wrong, then its time for the attorney to step in.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Not just upgraded parts, pull everything you can off of it that doesn't look "obviously missing" to an insurance adjuster.

If it's got LED package, pull that too and replace it with Halogen you can grab for free on craigslist.
Ugh, don't do this! If an adjuster finds this out you are F'ed. They can and will run the VIN. Even if it is negligible to them regarding payout, its blatant fraud, as you are making them pay to replace things you are not replacing. Taken to an extreme, its like if you took the engine out and replaced it with an old Chevy crate engine so you could enjoy the undamaged asset they paid you for.

This makes everyone's insurance go up when people do this. Sure, the bumpers and aftermarket stuff, yeah. the stuff that came from the factory they are making their assessment on, don't do it!
Sponsored