Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I loved the 3.6 in my 14 JKU. But I test drove the 2.0 it felt like the motor was running at redline just driving around town, needless to say I got another 3.6
Sponsored

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
Drove both before making the decision...the 2.0 was a bit "buzzy" and the 3.6 just seems more refined. My JK has the 3.6 too but it makes a big difference going form the 5 speed to the 8 speed, of course the Rubicon gearing makes a difference too.

Still love both of my 3.6's

Bootloot

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 4 dr, 4 cy.
I bought a 2020 2.0T Rubicon 4 door in August of 2020 and its been flawless for us. That said, I did pay for a long extended warranty for peace of mind. I test drove both extensively, I didn't think there was that big of a difference either way. We ended up going with the 2.0T because the vast majority of the Jeeps on the lot in our area had the 2.0T and my wife was dead set on getting the Jeep in bikini blue and we could only find that color in the 2.0T. So far we have been happy with the purchase.

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have similar heartburn to the OP. I test drove both and felt that the 3.6 was the smoother and overall better feeling acceleration in city driving. The turbo seems dead set on making sure you know it's a turbo in order to accelerate at a normal rate in town.

But at the end of the day, I found a turbo with all the other features -- including the tangerine orange color --that I wanted. So I went with it and feel fine with the decision... Especially at the pump. :)

Sponsored

shlotch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I drive a lot of highway miles in the mountains, and am really enjoying the performance of the 2.0T. That said, I test drove both and would have been perfectly fine with either. This is just a case of the turbo fitting a bit better into my personal application - which is why it's nice to have to options.

As an aside, I've been really, really impressed with the mileage I've been getting, even with regular octane fuel. It has far exceeded my expectations. Majority highway, but I've been averaging between 24-29 mpg depending on useage. That's pretty surprising to me. I owned a gutless Fiat Renegade before this and got worse mileage. Now THAT was a bad engine.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I loved the 3.6 in my 14 JKU. But I test drove the 2.0 it felt like the motor was running at redline just driving around town, needless to say I got another 3.6
I have driven my 2.0T for almost 3 years and not once have I ever been close to redline.

In fact, when I test drove a 3.6, I was so disappointed I almost gave up on buying a Wrangler entirely.

shlotch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Your dealer apparently hasn’t read the specs for that engine.
To quote the user manual:

"This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having a posted octane number of 87 [...] For optimal performance the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is recommended in these engines."

Can absolute run regular octance fuel.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a 2019 with no etorque. I love the V6 it is such a refined engine. I had a turbo before and did not like it as much, felt cheap to be honest. The turbo should have been a clear upgrade from the pentastar, a V6 turbo. Not a similar alternative, makes no sense.

If I was buying a 2021 I would get the turbo to skip the etorque. But then I though about the high octane gas. I know it says it can take low octane, but the manual still says it performs better on high octane. I go back to my undergrad days at engineering school when we studied the combustion engine. We studied turbocharging and the reasons you need higher octane gas when forcing all that compressed air. It means you need gasoline that takes more heat to ignite (higher octane). Your engine wont blow up during your warranty period, but I cant think long term use of low octane gasoline on your turbo engine has no consequences. Think about it, manual still says it will perform better with high octane gas, and so does science. For those of you planning to keep the 2.0 past warranty and using 87, how do you sleep at night?

edit: So I look the compression ratios for both engines and the V6 has a higher compression ratio than i4. In fact, the V6 compression is pretty high and engines with these ratios recommend higher octane gasoline. So the computer in our V6 JL ia probably doing a lot of work to avoid knocking. The i4 is probably doing the same. So we are all on the same boat. Well, now I cant sleep at night 😂. Fack.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If I was buying a 2021 I would get the turbo to skip the etorque. But then I though about the high octane gas. I know it says it can take low octane, but the manual still says it performs better on high octane. I go back to my undergrad days at engineering school when we studied the combustion engine. We studied turbocharging and the reasons you need higher octane gas when forcing all that compressed air. It means you need gasoline that takes more heat to ignite (higher octane). Your engine wont blow up during your warranty period, but I cant think long term use of low octane gasoline on your turbo engine has no consequences. Think about it, manual still says it will perform better with high octane gas, and so does science. For those of you planning to keep the 2.0 past warranty and using 87, how do you sleep at night?
The 2.0's drop in performance is due to the tune altering ignition/fueling/etc. and not a direct result of the lower octane's burning characteristics. All(?) modern engines have knock sensors anyway, so I'm not quire sure how pre-ignition damage would occur.

If anything, the 3.6's higher redline combined with it's 11.3:1 compression ratio makes me far more concerned than de-tuning a 2.0 to run on 87.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The 2.0's drop in performance is due to the tune altering ignition/fueling/etc. and not a direct result of the lower octane's burning characteristics. All(?) modern engines have knock sensors anyway, so I'm not quire sure how pre-ignition damage would occur.

If anything, the 3.6's higher redline combined with it's 11.3:1 compression ratio makes me far more concerned than de-tuning a 2.0 to run on 87.
yeah read my edit. Few minutes before your post lol.

shlotch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
edit: So I look the compression ratios for both engines and the V6 has a higher compression ratio than i4. In fact, the V6 compression is pretty high and engines with these ratios recommend higher octane gasoline. So the computer in our V6 JL ia probably doing a lot of work to avoid knocking. The i4 is probably doing the same. So we are all on the same boat. Well, now I cant sleep at night 😂. Fack.
Haha, serves you right for doing research. I hope you've learned your lesson! ;D

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I like the V6, they put it in everything and its proven. I prefer that over the newest shiny thing

jetspeed8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport JL 2DR
I think they are both really good motors. I don't think you should generate any regrets either way. I ordered the 3.6 because I wanted a manual transmission so I didn't have to choose. However, I think I would be just as happy with a 2.0.
They both take 87 octane.
2.0L ENGINE
This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality
unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/
2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing.
Sponsored