Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah i currently use a 12+8 cable and just leave it tucked under the dash so when I chose to make a change I just grab the end and plug in my OBDII BT module and do what I need to do but am thinking I need to just get this https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ and then all I would need to do is plug my module into the OBDII port and be done, no fumbling with plugging and unplugging things, getting the Zauto SGW bypass does run the overall cost up some but it may be worth it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shak14

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah i currently use a 12+8 cable and just leave it tucked under the dash so when I chose to make a change I just grab the end and plug in my OBDII BT module and do what I need to do but am thinking I need to just get this https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ and then all I would need to do is plug my module into the OBDII port and be done, no fumbling with plugging and unplugging things, getting the Zauto SGW bypass does run the overall cost up some but it may be worth it.
Do you need to have the plugs plugged back in to the Jeep for it to function, or are the outlets they’re plugged into just dummy outlets?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need to have the plugs plugged back in to the Jeep for it to function, or are the outlets they’re plugged into just dummy outlets?
No sir, if you use the SGW bypass from Zauto you can just plug what ever you want into the OBDII port and it will go thru as it’s a pass thru bypass as that’s it’s purpose, if you get the Tazer two piece unit it comes with the bypass but lots get the mini or lite but then you have to marry and unmarry and remove the for service visits, in my case Im thinking I can get the bypass and just leave it plugged in all the time then just plug in my OBDII BT module and make my changes then unplug and not have to mess with pulling cables done on the whole unmarry/marry, plug/unplug connector thing

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
No sir, if you use the SGW bypass from Zauto you can just plug what ever you want into the OBDII port and it will go thru as it’s a pass thru bypass as that’s it’s purpose, if you get the Tazer two piece unit it comes with the bypass but lots get the mini or lite but then you have to marry and unmarry and remove the for service visits, in my case Im thinking I can get the bypass and just leave it plugged in all the time then just plug in my OBDII BT module and make my changes then unplug and not have to mess with pulling cables done on the whole unmarry/marry, plug/unplug connector thing
Hey Will: Thanks for the clarification. I have a couple of questions of my own.

1) Are the ODB 2 port and the place where the 12 pin and 8 pin cables plug in (I guess that's the SGW [secure gate way]) themselves connected in some way?

2) What would happen if you simply left the 12 pin and 8 pin cables disconnected from the SGW gateway after separating them from the SGW gateway? To rephrase the question, is the place where the 12 pin and 8 pin connectors normally plug in (the SGW gateway) simply a holder for them or does communication (also) flow through the two cables either from or to the SGW gateway when those cables are connected to the SGW gateway? I ask this because if you can simply unplug the cables, then the SGW extension cord https://www.zautomotive.com/product/sgw-extension-cable/ might serve limited purpose. This disconnection is something you seem to have alluded to doing or trying (??) (keeping the 12 pin and 8 pin cable disconnected) as these 12 pin and 8 pin cables remain detached from the SGW gateway and instead attached to your 12 pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 adapter cable e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PTBZ6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I've worked with Jscan I've always reattached the 12 pin and 8 pin cables to the SGW gateway when done, and put away my ODB 2 reader and 12 pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 cable.

3) What do you suppose happens with the Z automotive bypass module that allows you to plug in an ODB 2 reader directly into the ODB 2 port and not the 12 pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 adapter cable? Do you suspect that the Z automotive bypass module is "telling" the 12 pin and 8 pin cables a.....

...."lie,"

....and basically sending the message to those 2 cables:

"don't worry, the ODB 2 device that just got plugged into the ODB 2 port is really 100% genuine dealer only owned FCA blessed diagnostic equipment" even if it's not?

Thanks Will. If some questions are beyond your scope, no worries. :)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah I currently have the 12+8 connector tucked under the dash, I removed the 12 and 8 pin cables from the SGW module and did not have any issues until I had to have my vehicle inspected as they plug into the OBDII port to run a check and since my OBDII port was basically disconnected it flagged an error which I easily corrected by plugging back in the cables and removing the bypass cable

With the cables unplugged from the SGW I never received any errors on the EVIC but the OBDII port is non functional if the 12+8 cable is left plugged in as there is no comms from the OBDII to the ECU as you have the cable disconnected and plugged into the 12+8 cable.

Using the Tazer SGW bypass module solves this as you are unplugging from the SGW and plugging the 12 and 8 pin connectors into that bypass module like you would be plugging into the SGW as the Zauto module takes the SGW’s place and this allows one to plug the device of there choosing into the OBDII port, this of course can’t be done if say using a Tazer mini as it’s basically the bypass module and programmer all in on.

Basically the OBDII port converts over to a 12 pin connector I think and then that plugs into the SGW and then the 8 pin connector comes out and goes to the ECU so using either the 12+8 or Zauto SGW bypass module circumvents the FCA SGW so it’s your choice on which one you want to use, for me I’m thinking I may get the Zauto as you install it once then whoever plugs into the OBDII port can do there thing but I may reach out to Zauto to confirm But it sure would be easier.

My JL is past its 3/36 so I could care less what the dealer has to say

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Gee-pah to make things easier for everyone I hope here’s the deal.

With this 12+8 cable here one just unplugs the 12 and 8 pin connectors from the FCA security Gateway ( SSW ) and then plug those cables into the ports on the 12+8 cable marked in green

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini or OBD JScan? 71BE2184-8078-4415-A421-73F123521427

Then you can plug your Scan Reader like this one into the plug end marked in blue and do your thing

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini or OBD JScan? E45D58E1-2784-4882-8132-BCEE7F8FFEE8

But to make things easier for those that don’t want to keep messing with cables one could not use the 12+8 cable like in the first pic and get this SGW bypass from Zauto which you basically take the same cables from the security gateway and remove them and then plug them into this and then you can use code readers programmers etc.... that need access to the OBD port but the SGW will be out of the picture

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini or OBD JScan? 146F8854-B352-4EE4-93CD-3F196D00B8AA

Im not sure leaving the SGW bypass in all the time would create any issues but if it’s the same bypass that came with my original Tazer then it should not as I left mine plugged in all the time, as I said none of this applies if your using a Tazer mini or lite but for those that say choose JSCAN this would be the ticket but getting the Zauto bypass drives up the cost of Jscan a lot but you could get the pricing in the neighborhood of just over $100 with the right OBDII BT module

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks Will. That "what needs to be connected where stuff" I've got down pat. I was just curious what's going on behind the scenes and if the two cables: the 12 pin and 8 pin can remain attached to the 12 pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 cable after a Jscan session, or if those cables need to be plugged back into where they were as per factory; putting the 12 pin and 8 pin to ODB 2 cable back "in the garage" for storage.

The Z Automotive bypass if fine to remain on the 12 pin and 8 pin cables, dealer visits for service notwithstanding.

RubiconIsland

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0
@RubiconIsland Ben: Wow, talk about the perfect place to have a Wrangler! The Canary Islands seem to have been designed for the Wrangler (or perhaps I should say it the other way around!)

Clearly, if turning off ESS was your primary objective in purchasing tech to do so, without question, between the Jscan and Tazer products, the Tazer *must* be the way to go, as such functionality isn't supported by the Jscan device, nor--without a change in how it works--will it likely be.
Yeah, the Canarys are awesome for off-roading, especially fuerteventura. Except some protected environments and military areas you can go anywhere you like. Also government is just about to setup a ferry connection to Marokko, that means I could go for day trips to Sahara desert. I'm pretty hyped about that

Yes, its only the "solution" about start stop, that I think is messy with jscan. And I want this to be disabled all time, we don't have any dens traffic here so most of time it stops and directly starts again which is useless and kills the battery without any benefit.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have never attempted to disable ESS with JSCAN so what additional steps need to be performed other than turning it off, it appears to be just a few settings to turn off in JSCAN or does one need to disable the hood switch ?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

does one need to disable the hood switch ?
Yes. One needs to disable one of the hood switches. JScan just provides the ability remove the warning message that appears with the hood witch disabled.

Keep in mind that with the hood switch disabled, remote start will no longer work.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. One needs to disable one of the hood switches. JScan just provides the ability remove the warning message that appears with the hood witch disabled.

Keep in mind that with the hood switch disabled, remote start will no longer work.
thanks for the info, I currently use my Smart Stop/Start module for ESS and JSCAN for the rest of my needs but I was curious on how JSCAN addressed ESS.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does anyone know where in the JSCAN app the adaptation to enable Off Road Pages is (if it even exists)?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Does anyone know where in the JSCAN app the adaptation to enable Off Road Pages is (if it even exists)?
@jludave

ADAPTATIONS>MISCELLANEOUS SETTINGS>OFF ROAD PAGES PRESENT ON/OFF

Can't tell you for sure if it works, though...

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
i dont have the 8.4 but just looked and it’s under miscellaneous settings towards the bottom
Sponsored