2 door vs. 4 door sales

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Basically if Jeep were to standardize the high line fender across all models then it would reduce the amount of fenders down to two, either black abs or painted.
They look really bad on a sport with stock narrow tires and narrower axles. In addition to being higher the rubicon fenders are also quite a bit wider.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Could you elaborate on Rubicons having two different kinds of fenders? What are the differences?
Smooth painted and textured unpainted.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
They look really bad on a sport with stock narrow tires and narrower axles. In addition to being higher the rubicon fenders are also quite a bit wider.
I am so used to everyone immediately swapping to wider wheels and bigger tires that didnt even take looks into account lol.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are technically 4 kinds, painted or unpainted with LED or halogen. All have different part numbers. Not including export models which are also different.
LED and halogens fit Sahara and Rubicon fenders, painted or unpainted. I replaced the halogen DRLs on my Sahara with a pair of Rubicon takeoff LEDs and they fit perfectly.

However, LED DRLs do not fit Sport/Willys fenders. They have a different shape with shorter lights.

Sahara and High Altitude don’t share painted fenders, either. For some reason, Sahara fenders have a wider black contour; High Altitude fenders have a thinner contour and the fender itself has an extra crease.

The whole thing is very weird.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
i would love to see a comeback of the 2 door with a longer wheelbase. Saw a TJ unlimited the other day, and I think that design would allow many that wanted a 2 door but had to choose 4 door due to more cargo area.
@Jeep ^^^^ This

I’ve always thought that Jeep should axe the current 2-door model and sell a 106 inch wheelbase 2-door alongside the current 4-door.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I bought my 2018 2 door used only a few months ago. I had spent months looking for a new one with desired specs but they never seemed to be available. When I spoke to a few salespeople at different dealerships, they all pretty much said that they sell “at least 10” 4 door for every 2 door and that owners only wanted to stock fully loaded 2 door Rubicons.

I am in Calgary. A search for local Wranglers shows 11 x 2-door and 199 x 4-door model in dealer inventories.

Questions:
1) How does this compare to other areas?
2) Did any other non-Rubicon 2 door owners also struggle to find their Jeep?
3) Stellantis is not bound to any tradition beyond paying shareholders, but it is extremely hard to imagine 2 door versions being on the chopping block, due to the outcry. So, if the percentage of 2 door sales does decline further, what happens in the future?
I had a bitch of a time finding the one i wanted. I actually had to get one shipped in from out of state because i could find a Mojito! 2 Door manual with no options other than the tinted windows.

People just do not buy 2 doors anymore.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
@Jeep ^^^^ This

I’ve always thought that Jeep should axe the current 2-door model and sell a 106 inch wheelbase 2-door alongside the current 4-door.
Yea no that is a silly idea. There are still a bunch of us who want a short wheel base Wrangler. If you want a long wheel base just get a 4 door. Not to mention 106 inches is only 9 inches more than the 2 door and 9 inches shorter than the unlimited anyway....

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Currently there are three lengths of this chassis: 2-door JL, 4-door JL and 4-door JT.

The biggest development cost is for the chassis, running gear and powertrains. Once you have that, developing a different body is relatively easy and inexpensive.

So instead of wasting time and money creating so many different fenders, bumpers, grilles, etc., I’d be offering as many different bodies as I could mount on those three chassis:
  1. 2-door Wrangler —on short JL wheelbase
  2. 2-door long wheelbase Wrangler “LJ” —on JLU wheelbase
  3. 4-door Wrangler Unlimited —on JLU wheelbase
  4. 2-door w/6-ft bed “Scrambler” —on JLU wheelbase
  5. 4-door w/5-ft bed “Gladiator” —on JT wheelbase
Some bodies will sell better than others, no doubt. But if the incremental cost of offering different body types is minimal, then who cares?

Toyota is looking to build the next-gen Tacomas and Tundras on one assembly line to reduce cost, maintain quality and maximize value to the customer. If they can do that, Stellantis should be able to offer different bodied Jeeps as well.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I personally don't give a, let's just say hoot, whether you like 2drs or 4drs. Those of us who think we need/want to thread tight twisty places can get a 2dr and those of us who think we need/want to climb steep ledges and slopes can get a 4dr. I don't care.
But, it sure might be nice and maybe better from quality, maintenance, and service perspectives if FCA stopped trying to come up with the new, dopey named, flavor of the month, model and just streamlined its Wrangler line to offer a budget base trim in 2dr and 4dr models and a fully tricked off-road luxury thing in 2dr and 4dr models.
With fewer options to deal with, they might lose some sales around the edges; but, they might also have the time and resources available to get back to improving their quality control, which might give them a more satisfied customer base, fewer short term resales due to buyers being disappointed with quality or reliability, and more sales over the long term because of improved reliability and reputation.
In the distant past, Jeep might have been able to rely on the "gonzo run it, wreck it, and repair it" crowd; but, the intersection between that demographic and the demographic that can afford what Jeep is selling is actually shrinking. It might be better, in the long run, for the company to up their game in quality and reliability for buyers who might want to take their Wrangler, whether 2dr or 4dr, further out, on tougher trails, without needing to codependently excuse design, engineering, or manufacturing flaws that show up on the trail and at the wrong time. There are fewer and fewer of us so enamored with getting out on the trails that we are willing and able to throw money at a make that ranks 29 out of 32 in design, engineering, and manufacturing quality/reliability, but seems too overconfident to really care.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
LED and halogens fit Sahara and Rubicon fenders, painted or unpainted. I replaced the halogen DRLs on my Sahara with a pair of Rubicon takeoff LEDs and they fit perfectly.

However, LED DRLs do not fit Sport/Willys fenders. They have a different shape with shorter lights.

Sahara and High Altitude don’t share painted fenders, either. For some reason, Sahara fenders have a wider black contour; High Altitude fenders have a thinner contour and the fender itself has an extra crease.

The whole thing is very weird.
High altitude looks like it just has the black plastic trim bottom piece body matched as well. The thinner contour you see is just the fender liner. Not sure about the creases though, can't tell from photos.

Regardless, they look puke-inducing to say the least.
So I guess this is the factory 'storm-trooper' edition? FCA is such a troll.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door vs. 4 door sales 1616438888276

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don't give a, let's just say hoot, whether you like 2drs or 4drs. Those of us who think we need/want to thread tight twisty places can get a 2dr and those of us who think we need/want to climb steep ledges and slopes can get a 4dr. I don't care.
But, it sure might be nice and maybe better from quality, maintenance, and service perspectives if FCA stopped trying to come up with the new, dopey named, flavor of the month, model and just streamlined its Wrangler line to offer a budget base trim in 2dr and 4dr models and a fully tricked off-road luxury thing in 2dr and 4dr models.
With fewer options to deal with, they might lose some sales around the edges; but, they might also have the time and resources available to get back to improving their quality control, which might give them a more satisfied customer base, fewer short term resales due to buyers being disappointed with quality or reliability, and more sales over the long term because of improved reliability and reputation.
In the distant past, Jeep might have been able to rely on the "gonzo run it, wreck it, and repair it" crowd; but, the intersection between that demographic and the demographic that can afford what Jeep is selling is actually shrinking. It might be better, in the long run, for the company to up their game in quality and reliability for buyers who might want to take their Wrangler, whether 2dr or 4dr, further out, on tougher trails, without needing to codependently excuse design, engineering, or manufacturing flaws that show up on the trail and at the wrong time. There are fewer and fewer of us so enamored with getting out on the trails that we are willing and able to throw money at a make that ranks 29 out of 32 in design, engineering, and manufacturing quality/reliability, but seems too overconfident to really care.
Indeed. The other part of it is: I didn’t mind bashing my $20,000 Wrangler against the rocks; my $55,000 Wrangler...well that is a different story.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
High altitude looks like it just has the black plastic trim bottom piece body matched as well. Not sure about the creases though, can't tell from photos.

Regardless, they look puke-inducing to say the least.
Is this the factory 'storm-trooper' edition? FCA is such a troll.
1616438888276.png
Yeah, you can only tell the differences in the Sahara and High Altitude fenders if you look at them side-by-side. But they are indeed quite different.

Which begs the question: if the customer can’t even tell there’s a difference, then why even bother making them different in the first place?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yeah, you can only tell the differences in the Sahara and High Altitude fenders if you look at them side-by-side. But they are indeed quite different.

Which begs the question: if the customer can’t even tell there’s a difference, then why even bother making them different in the first place?
I think the thin contour you mentioned is just the black fender liner showing underneath, they painted the entire fender including the black plastic trim.

They missed a few spots though, I can still find some black plastic pieces they can paint over! Like the hood latches and blind spot monitor cover!

I mean, if you are going full retard, don't stop at 99% retard!
Sponsored

Last edited: