Sponsored

More feedback about crawling from 2.0T (Non-eTorque) owners please.

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Trying to make up my mind whether to order the 2021 JLUR with the 2.0T. I will be off roading a lot and prefer non hybrid, but I have concerns.

Have you crawled you 2.0T NON eTorque over big rocks or tree trunks? If so, have you had any problem with the turbo lag and the following turbo surge while crawling? I will be off roading a lot, and crawling is my main concern about the 2.0T. I test drove one from the dealer, but I couldn't test crawl it.

Thanks again.

Edited post with clarification.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The 2.0 has great torque and coupled with the 8 speed there is always the “right” gear. Absolutely love mine, wouldn’t go any other way. With limited slip and a set of KO2’s it’s very capable, plus gets great mileage (for a Jeep).

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
My previous jeep was a JK Rubicon Unlimited with the 3.6. I liked that engine and never had a reason not to reorder one on my 2021 JL. After reading about the turbo 2.0 I decided to try it out when I ordered my jeep. All I can say is I love the motor. It's fast, torquey, and just plain fun to drive. It makes me want to drive the jeep more. Go for it, it is an awesome engine.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the others. My last 2 jeeps had the 3.6. 2016 JK and a manual 2018 JLU sport. I enjoyed those engines but love my new 2.0T without the etorque. It’s a blast to drive and has the power I need. Is there a bit of concern on longevity? A little but I’m sure these engines will do great. It’s not the first 4 cylinder with a turbo out there. If you haven’t yet, test drive them both and decide then.

I was in your shoes when I bought my Rubicon 2021 and have been happy with my purchase. I even towed a 2000lb enclosed trailer from NC to CO and it did it like a champ. I only have 4K miles on it so far but it has done well so far and as I said earlier, a blast to drive.

Sponsored

ROTM

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I love my new 2.0T. I’ve had the 3.6, and it is a very solid platform and well supported throughout the country with capable mechanics everywhere. That said, the 2.0T is noticeably quicker in every scenario. Time will tell on the maintenance, but zero issues thus far. Word is this will become Mopar’s new long term platform, until electric takes over. The Magna Flow exhaust adds even more power and great sound. That will be next.. someday.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I specifically did not want the over complex etorque. I had the regular V6 in my 2017 JK and loved it, my 2021 Hurricane 4 is fantastic. I run 37's with stock gears and it has no problem moving the Jeep right along. i have rock crawled with it and it has plenty of torque. I get 17mpg with my 37's and mostly back road driving. VERY HAPPY with it.

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks all for replying. I should have been more specific here as I was in my other thread.

Have you crawled you 2.0T NON eTorque over big rocks or tree trunks? If so, have you had any problem with the turbo lag and the following turbo surge while crawling? I will be off roading a lot, and crawling is my main concern about the 2.0T.

The 2.0 has great torque and coupled with the 8 speed there is always the “right” gear. Absolutely love mine, ...
My previous jeep was a JK Rubicon Unlimited with the 3.6. I liked that engine and never had a reason not to reorder one on my 2021 JL. After reading about the turbo 2.0 I decided to try it out when I ordered my jeep. All I can say is I love the motor. ...
I agree with the others. My last 2 jeeps had the 3.6. 2016 JK and a manual 2018 JLU sport. I enjoyed those engines but love my new 2.0T without the etorque. It’s a blast to drive and has the power I need. ...
I love my new 2.0T. I’ve had the 3.6, and it is a very solid platform and well supported throughout the country with capable mechanics everywhere. That said, the 2.0T is noticeably quicker in every scenario. ...
Get the eTorque and thank me later.

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I specifically did not want the over complex etorque. I had the regular V6 in my 2017 JK and loved it, my 2021 Hurricane 4 is fantastic. I run 37's with stock gears and it has no problem moving the Jeep right along. i have rock crawled with it and it has plenty of torque. I get 17mpg with my 37's and mostly back road driving. VERY HAPPY with it.
Thanks for replying. I saw your answer in the other thread. That may seal it for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks to all who commented. I was able to get 2 separate test drives each in both the V6 and the 2.0T. The second drives were over a longer distance on relatively clear roads. However, they were not the same roads or speeds.

The 2.0 T does feel a little quicker, but the turbo lag definitely showed itself on the second drive. It was compounded with a downshift lag, and the combination annoyed me. The V6 responded faster to a throttle on event while cruising, and seemed to have more low end torque. I have seen torque curve data that backs that up.

So, despite my misgivings about the eTorque system, I went with the V6. Placed my order yesterday.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
As far as the turbo lag when crawling, it has never been an issue for me. In 4lo, manually shifted in 1st, it does quite well.
I come from a sports car racing background. Brake boosting. It works in the JLUR.

Brake boosting is where you ride the brake and load the engine with the gas pedal. This spools the turbo and builds boost. You now have full torque and lots of power, you just have to manipulate the brake with your left foot. If you just take your foot off the brake, you’ll slingshot.
That said, I have never had to brake boost the JLUR. It has crawled everything I have wanted it to with no issues. 4lo, 1st, disconnected sway, off road +, both lockers locked, and I have yet to have an issue.
Sponsored