Sponsored

Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I wonder how that passed inspection? One of these is not like the other...
You mean they have inspections at fca?
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I have a loaded 2019 Sahara and have seen the ambient lighting on my build sheet but I’ve tried a few times and I can tell you that one of those wheel buttons doesn’t do a damn thing. I’ve tried fooling with those wheels at night while waiting for the wife. I must’ve got the wrong module too. I just shrugged it off and moved on.
Try it at night with doors closed.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
You could bring it to your dealer and have them check, or you could first unbolt it yourself (7mm) and check the part number; if it ends with a 12ab it's the wrong one, if it ends with 13ab, it's the correct one but may be broken.
Where is this module located?

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
I just brought home my 21 rubicon and I also don’t have the ambient lighting at all on neither side. Looks like only 2 wires. But I have a rubicon. So what’s the fix then? Also is there any other lighting I should look for? I have the cup holder lights. None in door handles. What about back seats?

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just brought home my 21 rubicon and I also don’t have the ambient lighting at all on neither side. Looks like only 2 wires. But I have a rubicon. So what’s the fix then? Also is there any other lighting I should look for? I have the cup holder lights. None in door handles. What about back seats?
I'd say look up your build sheet with your VIN in this forum, verify it lists "Ambient LED Interior Lighting" under Standard Equipment; and that you've checked when the car and the lights are on, and its dark enough to tell. Regarding the rest, there's also small leds just above the door release, and in the cup holders which are also adjustable using the left adjustment wheel next to the lighting knob; if there's a problem, inform your dealer.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Just to preface, The amount of change in brightness in the cup holders and door handles is very little! If your expecting it to be something very noticeable you will be let down. When I finally rotated the wheel to see the brightness I instantly started thinking of ways to add brighter leds,(specially cup holder location) unfortunately that location is not so easy to remove and re attach so I gave up.

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
I’m not worried about the brightness. I just want them to be lit...which they are not. I have the cup holder ones. And my build sheet does confirm that I have the “ambient led lighting”. So I guess I’ll have to contact the dealer. Is it an easy fix? Also does anyone have a picture of the door handle ones? Not seeing that on my build or in my Jeep.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m not worried about the brightness. I just want them to be lit...which they are not. I have the cup holder ones. And my build sheet does confirm that I have the “ambient led lighting”. So I guess I’ll have to contact the dealer. Is it an easy fix? Also does anyone have a picture of the door handle ones? Not seeing that on my build or in my Jeep.
If you really only have two wires feeding the led modules in the foot-wells, that's likely the biggest problem; as the modules which support ambient foot-well lighting won't work without a three wire harness (as pictured by another poster earlier in this thread, to the best of my knowledge).

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
If you really only have two wires feeding the led modules in the foot-wells, that's likely the biggest problem; as the modules which support ambient foot-well lighting won't work without a three wire harness (as pictured by another poster earlier in this thread, to the best of my knowledge).
I just went out and checked. Turns out I was wrong. I do have 3 wires! So that’s good news. So the fix then is just a new light module? Did you get them from the dealership (at their expense) and put them on yourself? Or do they have to do it

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just went out and checked. Turns out I was wrong. I do have 3 wires! So that’s good news. So the fix then is just a new light module? Did you get them from the dealership (at their expense) and put them on yourself? Or do they have to do it
I requested the dealer (at FCA's expense) replace the passenger side foot-well module with the correct one as noted in the beginning of this thread; be aware the driver's side module is different, so will have a different correct part number which I didn't look up as I didn't need it, but the dealer should be able to. If you trust your dealer's mechanic fooling around under your foot-wells they can do it, but suspect the dealer will need to be involved with the replacement in some manner to be able to expense the modules/work to FCA under warranty (if that was the problem).

Last edited:

Sponsored

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
I requested the dealer (at FCA's expense) replace the passenger side foot-well module with the correct one as noted in the beginning of this thread; be aware the driver's side module is different, so will have a different correct part number which I didn't look up as I didn't need it, but the dealer should be able to. If you trust your dealer's mechanic fooling around under your foot-wells they can do it, but suspect the dealer will need to be involved with the replacement in some manor to be able to expense the modules/work to FCA under warranty (if that was the problem).
okay I’ll get in touch with them tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help! Really appreciate it. Ido have one more question which is semi off topic....in your main cup holders (the ones in between the driver and passenger seat) are there inserts at the bottom? Like a liner? I could of sworn my 2020 had them. But this new one doesn’t.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
....in your main cup holders (the ones in between the driver and passenger seat) are there inserts at the bottom? Like a liner? I could of sworn my 2020 had them. But this new one doesn’t.
There's a rubbery spot in the center of the bottom of each, but no liner per-se in mine.

dchant

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep grand cherokee
There's a rubbery spot in the center of the bottom of each, but no liner per-se in mine.
okay. Thanks for looking. I thought it had like a rubbery mat at the bottom that you could pull out. After seeing my ambient lighting is wrong I’m paranoid I’m missing other things.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I think I'm in the same boat as others on this thread. I have a 2021 Rubicon, ambient LED interior lighting on the build sheet, 3 wires connected to the light in the footwell. So to get this right, the footwells are supposed to be lit while driving at night similarly to the cup holders? They do illuminate when I open the doors but no amount of fiddling with the dash wheel changes the outcome of the footwell lighting.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
... So to get this right, the footwells are supposed to be lit while driving at night similarly to the cup holders? ...
Yes, at least for the Sahara, Rubicon and derivative models to the best of my knowledge; although not nearly as brightly as when a door is opened (i.e. courtesy lighting).
Sponsored