Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

ROTM

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the new 2.0 turbo, and had a 3.6 before. The 2.0 definitely has more passing power and juice for the on-ramp. Time will tell on maintenance, but I cannot imagine Mopar not supporting the platform long-term.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
For me....no interest in eTorqe (or e-anything, tbh). The 2.0 was peppy and quicker, no doubt. Went with the 3.6 b/c I wanted manual, and little history at the time I bought mine (7/19). And I plan on keeping mine for at least 10 years...at least.
Looks like reliability might not be an issue. I’m no engineer or mechanic (or smart), but I suspect that a 3.6 will last longer. But that’s it...just a suspicion. Still hate e-torque. (and not entirely sure why).

Sponsored

ROTM

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ultimately decided against the eTorque. After some research, and much appreciated direct feedback at a dealership, it seemed that engine version could be short-lived. I have heard positive things regarding it’s increased capabilities, though. JL Fan is right.. the 3.6 has the proven history of longevity and likely the lengthiest list of capable mechanics of any engine platform in the US. Cannot go wrong with it.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Absolutely zero regret between the choices. I did think long and hard this year about going to the 3.0D, but my commute would kill that engine. 2 miles each way to work and home for lunch, so during the week roughly 50 miles of in town stop sign to stop sign.

The 3.6l sounds great, after removing hood insulation and the stupid beauty engine cover. Easy to do simple maintenance. Standard alternator design (I have the non-etorque).

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Lets revisit in five years when vehicles have 100,000+ miles they’ve been in the rust belt for several cycles. When vehicles are new ,very new ,still under warranty nobody has any regrets. but wait ! till it’s customer pay time then the regrets set in. Simple V-6 for the win. Turbo Worse with E torque three cooling systems lots of electrical. Yeah what can go wrong.
Ive never seen a turbo engine that didn't have weeping gaskets before a naturally aspired engine

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
4 cyl with turbo or not - it’s a Japanese econobox motor. No matter what you do, the fewer power impulses per rev will always be noticeable. V6 minimum, IMO, haven’t owned a 4 cyl since I was a student.

The only reason a larger motor gets worse mileage is because the gas pedal goes down further, so to speak. The physics of energy required to move air and mass are exactly the same and the various motor efficiencies are not very different.
It's that u can only go so small of an engine on a heavy vehicle before it becomes a chore to drive .
Gearing helps but I don't think the gearing is tall enough for this one.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Why don't people like e-torque ?
Because it’s new,unproven and adds an extra layer of complexity. That’s really it. I’ve been happy with it and it’s covered under a very long warranty but if I where to be honest I’d rather not have it. I had no choice as I wanted a v6 auto 2door and there was only 21’s in my state. Time will tell but so far so good lol

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Ive never seen a turbo engine that didn't have weeping gaskets before a naturally aspired engine
You haven’t owned a Subaru. My N/A boxer engine commonly leaks oil at little over 100k miles. I did my HG at 111k miles. The MLS gasket that the turbo use don’t leak. One of mine has 171k, the other has 123k miles neither engine leaks oil.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
You haven’t owned a Subaru. My N/A boxer engine commonly leaks oil at little over 100k miles. I did my HG at 111k miles. The MLS gasket that the turbo use don’t leak. One of mine has 171k, the other has 123k miles neither engine leaks oil.
Rare in my opinion ..but ur right not a subaru owner here. no weeps from the valve covers whatsoever ? Thats wild

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
I've had my 2dr 80th Edition with the 2.0L for two days now. First turbo I've owned and I have to say I'm favorably impressed with its lively response. I test drove a 2dr with the 3.6L and it seems to me the 2.0 has just a skosh more juice.
Stay off the juice.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I understand the “e-whatever” is going to take over some day. When Henry Ford got started, his customers really just wanted a better horse. People were familiar with horses. And there weren’t gas stations on every corner. I think e-stuff is cool. But I’m not confident I can find a charging station as often as I think I would need one. And, I am not familiar with them, or their resale value, etc. Basically, I’m just not there yet.

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
4 cyl with turbo or not - it’s a Japanese econobox motor. ...
Could a few of the I4 turbo owners post the country of origin for the engine as listed on your window sticker?
Sponsored