Metal cloak 3.5 and death wobble

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Hello I just installed the metal cloak game changer with oc Motorsports a local shop... installed Adams driveshaft front and rear with 37 BFF km3..

there is a lot of shaking andonce I hit a bump ping 40-50 itwobbles. I don’t think this is normal. They set the caster at 5.9
they did relocate the stock steering stabilizer as I added this piece... maybe this is the issue?
https://metalcloak.com/jl-front-axle-disconnect-skid-plate-system-stabilizer-relocation.html

Idk what’s going on
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I would check the list and visit an installer from their list. Especially since there are so many in Socal

https://metalcloak.com/installers
I would bet it is something related to your steering stabilizer mount. How do I know? I installed Yeti tie rod with steering stabilizer relocation bracket and clamp over this weekend. I forgot to tighten bolt holding stabilizer end attached to the clamp on tie rod. I did test drive right after and it was driving great. This morning on the way to work I had near dead wobble after I hit the bump around 40 mph. It hit me right away. I did not tighten the bolt. It was finger tight jus to hold it during installation. Pulled over at gas station and that was the problem. Tighten it and all was good. No more vibration. That clamp you have looks really flimsy.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MC3.5 and I have had the DW, but ONLY when I purposely removed my steering stabilizer. I run the MC stabilizer relocation bracket, so that’s not it. I would continue to focus on the stabilizer though. Is it OEM?

Edit: I just re-read and you are re-using the OEM. have you had the recall done, where they replace the stabilizer? If not, I would start there. If so, I would dump the OEM and get an aftermarket.

Sponsored

Zaskar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Hello I just installed the metal cloak game changer with oc Motorsports a local shop... installed Adams driveshaft front and rear with 37 BFF km3..

there is a lot of shaking andonce I hit a bump ping 40-50 itwobbles. I don’t think this is normal. They set the caster at 5.9
they did relocate the stock steering stabilizer as I added this piece... maybe this is the issue?
https://metalcloak.com/jl-front-axle-disconnect-skid-plate-system-stabilizer-relocation.html

Idk what’s going on
I hope you have your issue resolved. I wanted to follow up though with my experience over the past weekend. Installed a Metal cloak 3.5 gamechanger lift, and the HD steering kit. Buttoned everything up, and noticed that the vehicle would wobble when I hit bumps but it would recover. I finally hit a pretty decent pothole and the wobble didnt go away until I slowed down (death wobble). I went home tightened everything again, same issue. I called metalcloak and they asked me to go back to the stock steering stabilizer. I changed it back, and the wobble is gone. I called them back to let them know, and they are sending a new stabilizer to me.

I love the lift, and new steering. Their customer service is awesome as well. My hunch is that it may have something to do with the changes FCA has been making to the stock components, and software on the JL steering to fix the "wandering" issue (I had the TSB for the steering box completed on mine before installing the lift and steering kits.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have this setup with BFG 39s and have the wobbles with MC's steering stabilizer and relocate. I'm about to go to the nuclear option and install a Redneck Ram hydro assist. I wanted it anyways, now I just have an excuse to sell to the wife.

Reactions: J0E

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I hope you have your issue resolved. I wanted to follow up though with my experience over the past weekend. Installed a Metal cloak 3.5 gamechanger lift, and the HD steering kit. Buttoned everything up, and noticed that the vehicle would wobble when I hit bumps but it would recover. I finally hit a pretty decent pothole and the wobble didnt go away until I slowed down (death wobble). I went home tightened everything again, same issue. I called metalcloak and they asked me to go back to the stock steering stabilizer. I changed it back, and the wobble is gone. I called them back to let them know, and they are sending a new stabilizer to me.

I love the lift, and new steering. Their customer service is awesome as well. My hunch is that it may have something to do with the changes FCA has been making to the stock components, and software on the JL steering to fix the "wandering" issue (I had the TSB for the steering box completed on mine before installing the lift and steering kits.
Is the MC stabilizer in the factory location or is it raised?

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Dealing with the wobble as well after the 2.5 dual rate kit. I called mc and they said I needed more caster, I'm at around 5.7 they said I needed to be between 6 and 6.5. I'll try that and see what happens. This seems to be a common thread though. I hope higher caster makes a difference.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Dealing with the wobble as well after the 2.5 dual rate kit. I called mc and they said I needed more caster, I'm at around 5.7 they said I needed to be between 6 and 6.5. I'll try that and see what happens. This seems to be a common thread though. I hope higher caster makes a difference.
Just an FYI. I have been dealing with this for months on a 2” lift. I tried the caster at 5.5 all the way to 7.5 in .2 increments, spent an entire weekend pulling the arms and making adjustments. Other than better stability and wheel return it had absolutely no change in the wobble/shimmy

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Just an FYI. I have been dealing with this for months on a 2” lift. I tried the caster at 5.5 all the way to 7.5 in .2 increments, spent an entire weekend pulling the arms and making adjustments. Other than better stability and wheel return it had absolutely no change in the wobble/shimmy
Yea I've followed all of your troubles. Really stinks that you can't pin point.

For me I replaced just not that many components that could affect this I wouldn't think. Springs and shocks shouldn't affect it I wouldn't think. Other than that I have upper and lower front control arms, front track bar and sway bars.

I wonder if the sway bar end links lengths from side to side could play into it? I guess I'm going that I have few enough things to play with that I can figure it out.

Zaskar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Sounds crazy but try going to the stock stabilizer (if your sure everything else is tight and Right). I never thought to change the stabilizer. I had planned on adding caster this weekend, but tried the stabilizer and its fixed.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr

For me I replaced just not that many components that could affect this I wouldn't think. Springs and shocks shouldn't affect it I wouldn't think. Other than that I have upper and lower front control arms, front track bar and sway bars.

I wonder if the sway bar end links lengths from side to side could play into it? I guess I'm going that I have few enough things to play with that I can figure it out.
Thats pretty much what I started with. Dynatrac lift, Clayton upper and lower front arms, Synergy track bar. Everything else was replaced trying to solve it.

Zaskar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited

it's fixed. Agree, it's a steering issue. Track bar, stabilizer, steering box, and loose bolts on anything.
Sponsored