Sponsored

Anyone have buyer's remorse for ordering the 3.6 instead of the 2.0 Turbo.

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Previously employed at a Jeep dealer from 2015-2017 and have had two wranglers with the 3.6L. I ordered a 2021 JLU with the 3.6L and manual trans because I simply don't trust a 4cyl turbo from FIAT. 3.6L is time tested.
Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
2.0 is a FIAT motor - seriously? Didnā€™t know. Hands down - no way - worst quality record in the industry - along with Renault.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Previously employed at a Jeep dealer from 2015-2017 and have had two wranglers with the 3.6L. I ordered a 2021 JLU with the 3.6L and manual trans because I simply don't trust a 4cyl turbo from FIAT. 3.6L is time tested.
Since you used to work at a Jeep dealership, how do you get a good deal on a Wrangler?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
However, there's something a bit nostalgic about a N/A V6 engine in a low-option Wrangler with a manual transmission.
Ahh yes, nostalgic about the V6 in the JK. Or is it that one other V6 ever put in a Jeep that was literally a nailhead Buick with two cylinders chopped out?

Also, does the 2.0T have a cool name like the Pentastar?
I remember seeing 'Hurricane' early on, wish they had stuck with it as 'GME' doesn't have the same ring to it (stands for Global Medium Engine).

4 cyl with turbo or not - itā€™s a Japanese econobox motor.
It's Italian, and not available in any economy cars.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I owned a 4cyl wrangler right out of high school. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I sold it and got the 4.0 once I could afford it.

I just can't go back to a 4cyl in a Jeep, regardless if it's all in my head!

I did test drive it though since it was on the lot. Felt kinda jerky and I wasn't a fan of the sound. Just not what I am used to.

Sponsored

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Since you used to work at a Jeep dealership, how do you get a good deal on a Wrangler?
Can't really comment on that. I worked in the service department. I built a relationship with the sales department at the dealer I worked for so I decided to return to a salesman I know there to purchase my JLU.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I don't really regret buying the 3.6L, I was going for simple and reliable and I think the 3.6L delivers that (well as simple as modern engines get). Just seems like less things to go wrong or to suffer abuse while off road. I also was not a fan of the 2019's 2.0L having that lithium battery underneath. yeah it seemed fairly well protected but with cooling lines and the electrical cable and the battery itself all down there it just seemed like more stuff to break. The turbo of course adds complexity but I also wasn't confident that it would tolerate running in 4 low at 12,000ft+ of elevation all day. Just overall it is too new and fancy for what I want in a Wrangler. I use my Jeep to go way off the beaten path so old and reliable is very important to me. One of the many things I loved about my TJs.

Now with all of that said, I've been in a Cherokee Limited with the 2.0 hurricane for the last week and a half or so. I don't like how the engine sounds (honestly from outside it sounds broken to me), and the turbo lag is very noticeable. But up here at elevation this cherokee feels much more powerful than my Wrangler. Some of that may be gearing (I believe this cherokee has a 9 speed auto) and weight, but I'm sure a lot of it is forced induction vs naturally aspirated differences. If I was buying a primarily road going vehicle, living at higher elevations, and my choice was a 2.0L hurricane or the 3.6L pentastar, I'd probably pick the hurricane. You're not going to win stop light drag races with it, but more power/torque is always a good thing and the boost in range would be a nice bonus. My JL with the 3.6L has a 350 mile range, the 2.0L has a 420 mile range. I believe the 4 door the range boost is more like 50 miles, but still would be nice. From looking at fuelly.com the hurricane would've gotten me about a 4 mpg increase, which isn't a deal breaker for me but would be a nice perk.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Happy that I choose the 3.6L.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have both. 2019 JLU 3.6 and 2021 JLUR 2.0. Both are 8 speed and neither has e torque. Both perform well, I especially like the 8 speed. I live at 7000 ft and it feels like the 2.0 accelerates a bit quicker, especially at highway speeds and going up hill. Its amazing how quick it can get around an 18 wheeler on the interstate. I've driven both over 11000 ft elevation and the 2.0 just feels peppier. On long trips the 3.6 has performed well, haven't taken a long trip with the 2.0 yet. The 2.0 is still new, less than 1000 miles, but they're both getting about the same mileage. So far all I've run in the 2.0 is 86 octane. There is a slight turbo lag on the 2.0, but it's not bad and I'm used to it already. I don't notice much difference in noise level, they just sound different. Test drive both and buy the the one you like best!
Totally agree with the elevation problem with the NA Penastar V6... I also live at 7K ft and I like to playing in even higher mountains and there is a MAJOR lose of power of the V6 at high elevations. I know people get used to smashing the peddle and waiting to get to 5-6K rpm to have that HP kick in to pass or move uphill fast. I get it because we had no choices before (just like when Jeep put the they sold us the v6 van engine). But now we have choices and even though those choices involve new to Jeep engines, they are by no means new to the auto industry.

The only engine I would prefer to the 2L Hurricane Turbo would be a V6 Turbo. Once NA is out the door, everyone will be in Turbos and everyone will be loving them. And everyone will still want a V8 sound, Solution: just do a muffler delete or different muffler and get on with it... Sounds so much better now...

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
And everyone will still want a V8 sound, Solution: just do a muffler delete or different muffler and get on with it...
I do not accept that as a solution. There's a difference between loud and good sounding.

Sponsored

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I do not accept that as a solution. There's a difference between loud and good sounding.
After breaking in my 2.0 for about 1500 miles. The first trip up to the cottage last summer it averaged 29.6mpg on the dash display. Good performance, great with the auto 8 speed. We have had other turbo or supercharged cars.....Regular 3k oil changes and premium quality oil is essential for turbo applications. Always let them idle several seconds before shut down.....turbos on all your diesels and they are pretty durable...my 2 cents

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I went back and forth on engine type. I felt performance on paper was about the same but the feel was different than I am used to. I will miss the extra gas mileage of the 2.0, but not the windup hard working sound of the Turbo.
I think it would be the other way around, remorse over getting the 2.0 in lieu of the 3.6

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Dealers are only able to order the V6 for sold olders. All stock orders are 2.0 only. So if you find a V6 on a lot, it's a cancelled buyer order.
I don't believe that., perhaps it was done at the beginning of 2021 production. The dealer I went to in the beginning of February had about 20 JLU on the lot. All but two of them were 3.6, I ended up test driving a sold 2.0T because the only unsold 2.0T was in the showroom and blocked in. I highly doubt they had that many order cancellations.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed... Sounding Great!!! If you haven't heard the Turbo unmuffled I would recommend it. Not so much loud more noticeable powerful sound. I know the v6 will gives more a drone or low hum with a muffler delete. The Turbo sound change from a high pitch sound to a lower pitch sound. Its worth the 30 mins to test. It is louder when warming up but after that its like a normal engine sound.

Last edited:

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
There's a shortage of V6s, so they are being reserved for the vehicle lines that only have them, the Ram for one.
Contract dispute with an " outsourced" engine supplier.
" Jeep could lose $100 Million because of Canadian Supplier"
A shortage of 3.6's would explain the most recent $250 price increase on the 3.6etorque models.
Sponsored