Sponsored

Seemingly Obsessed with Wranglers - But Have Never Owned One... Help!!

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
@chris87114
This will seal the deal I think~
Hey kids, lets get in the Accord and go on a trip.
Hey kids, get in the Jeep and go on an adventure!

At that age your kids will love that Jeep even more than you will :)
:like:
Sponsored

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
If I were you I would rent or buy a JK. Why? Because if you like the JK, you'll 100% love a JL. Spending time with a used JK will get you to appreciate the JL when the time comes and with the way Wranglers retain value you won't lose any money anyways. While JLs retain value incredibly aswell, brand new always takes the biggest hit if you learn a Wrangler isn't for you. For as many people as there is that love Wranglers, there's more that hate them.
I know that if I would have bought the 2016 JK that I test drove in 2019, I could sell it now for basically what I almost bought it for based on what I see in the used market now. The market might be a little unusual now, but I suspect retained value will still be good looking into the future.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
For years my wife and I wanted a JK. However they had this buffeting noise from the suspension that just drove me crazy. It would have been find for short trips but I would eventually kill someone if we took a long road trip.

So I was extremely happy when the JLU came out and didn’t have that particular issue. We actually bought his and hers Wrangler Sports. Mine was modded quite a bit to the point that my wife liked mine more. So I gave it to her and traded her Wrangler in for a Raptor.

A few months ago we thought we were going to trade the remaining Jeep in for a Bronco but Ford kept dragging their butts and my wife finally told me that she really wanted us to buy a Rubicon. So last Feburary, we traded the older JLU Sport in for a 2021 Rubicon. I kinda chuckle because after all the mods I’m doing for ‘her’ Jeep, it now costs more than my Raptor did. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OP
OP

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Well, here is one for practicality:

Every time you make a bad choice.. every time you had to change your mind, and replace it with something else, you are burning time and money.
If I buy a wrangler, and sell the car, it will be first time that I've replaced a vehicle so soon (other than cars bought as extra vehicles / toys). I usually do research for needs/wants and have bought new and keep them 6+ years. The average cost/year doing this has been very reasonable for nearly trouble free ownership on several vehicles. It's still possible that I keep the new(ish) car, and sell our van which is now 7 years old. We've talked about replacing it in the next year or so regardless of a wrangler decision.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I need help. Over the last ~ 2 years+, I've spent so much time on this forum and looking at Wranglers online, I'm beginning realize that there might be something wrong with me. :) Particularly since I don't own one and have never owned one.

About 2 years ago, I was looking to replace our 11 year old Acura with a new vehicle. At the time, the JLU/JLUR was in my top 3, but I had just started a new job with a long-ish commute (~ 29 miles each way) and settled in on a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring. It's been a great, problem-free commuter car but I remain obsessed with reading this forum and looking at buying wranglers online.

I've even toyed with the idea of testing the jeep waters sort to speak by purchasing a used JK, as a third vehicle to see how a jeep would fit our family before pulling the trigger on a new JL (which I think I'd be ultimately happier with).

Perhaps I just like torturing myself by continuing to look without doing anything more. Anyone else spend a bunch of time looking before ever buying a wrangler?
Is this my wife writing this? 😀

I ”researched” for 2-3 years before jumping from my 2011 Acura TL to a JL 2 door. It was a passion vehicle for me.

Having come from a Honda-built sedan, know what you are getting into with a Wrangler:

1) TL was bad on gas, even 2 door Wrangler is worse
2) Things rattle and squeak more on Jeeps
3) Fit and finish is way better on Honda products
4) Wranglers handling is beyond different than a Honda
5) Reliability is not as good
6) You need to keep 2 hands on the wheel on the highway more often

if I did not scare you off yet ... BUY YOUR JEEP. I turn on my garage camera to look at my Jeep multiple times a day, you will fall in love with it and say, “why did I not do this earlier?”

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
@chris87114

My wife and I are empty-nesters.

Wife: You should buy a mid-life crisis car.
Me: Ok.
Wife: What will you buy? A 911?
Me: A 2-door Jeep Wrangler.

I've wanted a Jeep since I carpooled (30 years ago) with a buddy who owned a CJ. Sometimes life/kids take you in another direction. Don't wait too long.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
@chris87114

I've wanted a Jeep since I carpooled (30 years ago) with a buddy who owned a CJ. Sometimes life/kids take you in another direction. Don't wait too long.
i laughed out loud at this ... 48 yrs old, I have achieved some financial success and I opt for a 2 door with manual doors. My employees think I am crazy!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
@chris87114

i laughed out loud at this ... 48 yrs old, I have achieved some financial success and I opt for a 2 door with manual doors. My employees think I am crazy!
I'm sure one of the reasons that you've been successful is that you manage your money well. I bought a 2-door Sport and it's all I need to be happy. But my friends thought I was crazy too!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
@chris87114

Oh dang.. my 2dr Jeep is a midlife crisis car without me even thinking about it.. I guess I'm only gonna make it to 86.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I'm sure one of the reasons that you've been successful is that you manage your money well. I bought a 2-door Sport and it's all I need to be happy. But my friends thought I was crazy too!
I do enjoy watching people under 30 try to figure out how to use manual windows ...

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Simple pleasures are hard to come by. Some guys want crazy expensive, complicated cars that are outrageously expensive to own and maintain. A Jeep is as much or more fun and often gets as much or more attention. Kids love them.

I remember as a kid going with my dad to look at both an FJ40 and an International Scout Traveller. I wanted him to get both, but the Scout was so cool with 4 captain's chairs. Funny that I still remember that 45 years later.

Get the Jeep. Make memories. Listen to the kids make plans about all the places y’all will go and who will get it when they turn 16.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Simple pleasures are hard to come by. Some guys want crazy expensive, complicated cars that are outrageously expensive to own and maintain. A Jeep is as much or more fun and often gets as much or more attention. Kids love them.

I remember as a kid going with my dad to look at both an FJ40 and an International Scout Traveller. I wanted him to get both, but the Scout was so cool with 4 captain's chairs. Funny that I still remember that 45 years later.

Get the Jeep. Make memories. Listen to the kids make plans about all the places y’all will go and who will get it when they turn 16.
At my son’s school, there are a number of Mercedes, Lexus and nice high-end pickup trucks ... everyone turned their head when I showed up with the roof off to pick up my 10 yr old. I became the cool dad ..

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
BTW, I still have a CJ3B Tonka that I’ve had since I was a kid. My grandson plays with it today. I was going to disassemble it and restore it to like new comdition but my daughter was adamant that I leave it in the condition it was in when I played with it last.

A Jeep is not a practical decision. But it will certainly create more memories than almost anything you can buy today.

Let’s see, the cool cars my dad had that I still recall...

A 1966 289 Mustang, gold, beat to hell by a hail storm

A 1969 Cutlass S convertible, brown with a white interior. My mom hated it

A 1969 El Camino with 60s on the rear

A 1972 F250 Camper Special with a 390. Sold during the late 70s "gas crisis"

All of the other stuff were practical cars or borderline junk that was bought to be resold.

He didn’t buy a Jeep until he got a new XJ in 86. A base 4 door, chevy V6, 4x4, roll up windows. I thought it was cool as hell. By then I had a 75 Scout II.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
No offense Larry but I have to agree with your employee’s. My plumbing business has also been successful but I took every creature comfort that Jeep offered. You only go around once.
Sponsored