MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Sahara with a 2.5 in lift and 35 in tires. For the spare tire carrier I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement system and Mopar oversized spare tire carrier with a 35 mounted on the back. Ever since getting this put on I started hearing this noise coming from the back and itā€™s driving me absolutely insane.I attached 2 videos with the clicking/ticking sound. Itā€™s loud enough where if I have music playing at a normal volume I can still hear it. Any help on what this is and how to fix will be so appreciated!

Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This may not be your particular issue, but some have found the rear glass to make noise when it's closed against it's rubber seal. Open the rear glass and thoroughly clean the rear rubber seal with some warm water. Then, if you have it, use something like 303 protectant on the seal. Again this may not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If that doesn't work. Find a radio station playing music with a beat close to the rattling sound.

Follow me for more bad advice! šŸ˜

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
This may not be your particular issue, but some have found the rear glass to make noise when it's closed against it's rubber seal. Open the rear glass and thoroughly clean the rear rubber seal with some warm water. Then, if you have it, use something like 303 protectant on the seal. Again this may not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.
I had that problem and this method worked for me immediately

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s a soft top but do u think cleaning the edges of that would help? I probably should have mentioned itā€™s a soft top I just assumed it was something more with the tailgate

Sponsored

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that doesn't work. Find a radio station playing music with a beat close to the rattling sound.

Follow me for more bad advice! šŸ˜
Hahahaha this might be my best betšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Skylerpaige1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara - sky one top
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Sahara with a 2.5 in lift and 35 in tires. For the spare tire carrier I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement system and Mopar oversized spare tire carrier with a 35 mounted on the back. Ever since getting this put on I started hearing this noise coming from the back and itā€™s driving me absolutely insane.I attached 2 videos with the clicking/ticking sound. Itā€™s loud enough where if I have music playing at a normal volume I can still hear it. Any help on what this is and how to fix will be so appreciated!

Same exact noise here. Any resolutions? Itā€™s def the tailgate.

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger Sport S Unlimited 2019 JL
Occupation
Pilot
Same exact noise here. Any resolutions? Itā€™s def the tailgate.
Any solution on this? Weā€™re having this exact same annoying click as well. It sometimes disappears for a month and then is back again. Iā€™ve tried retightening the bolts of the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement, tighten the spare wheel carrier bolts, longer bump stops for the tire to put more pressure (less play), Iā€™ve tried realigning the door, took the inner panel apart to see if thereā€™s any damage inside the door itself or loose plates , add another door stop, but nothing. Only thing I havenā€™t checked yet is the hinge bolts on the interior side. The noise is there with hardtop on and off. Thereā€™s a bit of chipped paint as well on the top hinge corner on the exterior.

Ricootje0311

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger Sport S Unlimited 2019 JL
Occupation
Pilot
Did you ever figure out solution? Having the same issue!
I donā€™t have a true solution. I installed the reinforcement bracket (full on package including the parts behind the tire carrier), realigned the tailgate again and again and again till it was perfect with equal gaps all around and put some clear automotive tape at the top of the tailgate because it was rubbing hard on the rubber from the rear window. Havenā€™t had a click since.

ps: the dealership just simply said we donā€™t hear it and then went: ā€œoh itā€™s a product characteristic ā€œ like they always do hereā€¦

cmhoward428

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I donā€™t have a true solution. I installed the reinforcement bracket (full on package including the parts behind the tire carrier), realigned the tailgate again and again and again till it was perfect with equal gaps all around and put some clear automotive tape at the top of the tailgate because it was rubbing hard on the rubber from the rear window. Havenā€™t had a click since.

ps: the dealership just simply said we donā€™t hear it and then went: ā€œoh itā€™s a product characteristic ā€œ like they always do hereā€¦
Thank you!!
Sponsored