Sponsored

Help with Lemon JL (Actual Lemon, not Hellayella)

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
We had issues with my wife’s Kia Optima. It kept stalling and had it to the dealer numerous times. They acknowledge a problem but couldn’t fix it and kept returning it to us. Finally got the Better Business Bureau involved and sent them all the paperwork. Within a month or two Kia bought the vehicle back. No fees, no attorneys, and great service.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just an update to provide useful information for anyone also finding themselves with a lemon JL. In the end, FCA agreed to buyback my vehicle as it clearly met the requirements defined under the law. I was provided an offer consistent with how the law defines the compensated value, which is fair. I will surrender it in the coming weeks as a check request just needs to be processed.

Some notes and lessons learned to pass along... Document EVERYTHING including service appointments, receipts with description of issue and what they "fixed" including part numbers etc. Also document number of days and overnights you lost access to the vehicle. Even if you stop in the dealer for a quick read of a check engine light, document it as a service appointment including notes that explicitly say the check engine light was on when brought in, not just the code was read. Know the law as you can look it up for your state. Some states are better than others for the consumer. Many states also require you to write a "demand letter", notifying the manufacturer of the problem and your intention to demand a lemon law buyback. FCA will drag their feet every step of the way, clearly to wear you down. The people are nice, but it's the process that's difficult. Don't give up. You can also find great attorneys specializing in this who get paid out of the settlement (not your money) if that's what it comes to. I didn't have to go down that path. I can recommend one though, licensed in OR, WA, PA and NJ.

For me I'm happy to finally have this part of the story near the end. What was turning into something positive, I now have another challenge. Knowing I had an agreement coming, I asked the dealer to start building an order for a replacement with Nacho color. He built it no problem and just stayed on hold, but the process to get the final agreement in place took longer than I was told. Once it was done, I called the dealer to pull the trigger on the order . He told me Nacho is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for ordering! Thanks FCA for a moving target! The website has all kinds of colors, but good luck ordering them. I don't know why they play these games. I really want a color, no offense to all the shades of gray out there, and Nacho is at the top. The excitement of finally having a Jeep that works has faded again. I don't know whether I should wait for Nacho to come back or just buy a Bronco or give up. I want a Nacho 2-door JL. Anyone know something more on Nacho availability would be great to hear.
Just get a Hella Yella and leave it dirty, looks like Nacho.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
We had issues with my wife’s Kia Optima. It kept stalling and had it to the dealer numerous times. They acknowledge a problem but couldn’t fix it and kept returning it to us. Finally got the Better Business Bureau involved and sent them all the paperwork. Within a month or two Kia bought the vehicle back. No fees, no attorneys, and great service.
You did the better business bureau on the dealership or kia?

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
You did the better business bureau on the dealership or kia?
That was 4 or 5 years ago and I don’t remember details, but I think the initial complaint was against the dealer but Kia ultimately brought the vehicle back.

Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Hey did your check engine light stay on or did it come on at random times?
My check engine light would come on randomly and never stayed on (only stored history). First occurrence was when it was brand new heading out for my first weekend drive. It seemed to be exacerbated by bumpy roads which along with the early failure, pointed to a loose electrical connection. No one would listen to that reasoning and just kept swapping parts, sometimes even the same parts over again. Jeep did the right thing with the buyback and I’m happy with the end result.

Suv28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
My check engine light would come on randomly and never stayed on (only stored history). First occurrence was when it was brand new heading out for my first weekend drive. It seemed to be exacerbated by bumpy roads which along with the early failure, pointed to a loose electrical connection. No one would listen to that reasoning and just kept swapping parts, sometimes even the same parts over again. Jeep did the right thing with the buyback and I’m happy with the end result.
See that's what I'm afraid of. Mines is out the shop now and the check engine and stop/start lights are off but i am afraid that it will come on again. I just want out of this car. I have children that i am driving around in this vehicle.
What do you also mean by stored history?

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
See that's what I'm afraid of. Mines is out the shop now and the check engine and stop/start lights are off but i am afraid that it will come on again. I just want out of this car. I have children that i am driving around in this vehicle.
What do you also mean by stored history?
History is when a code is set but not currently active. Currently active codes are better since they can be diagnosed. I had the same concern about when it might appear again and would it strand me. I drive to some remote places. I suggest keeping very clear documented service complaints and history to show the same issue is reported and what they did in attempt to fix it. Get a case manager and escalate. Best of luck to you.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Thank you for posting your experiences. My '21 JLURD with 6,600 miles has been in the shop for an oil leak for almost 6 weeks now waiting on a backordered part. Either Friday or next Monday it will qualify for time out of service under Utah's Lemon Law (13-20-5). Not sure how I feel about that other than frustrated.

OP
OP
longlivethemanual

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Thank you for posting your experiences. My '21 JLURD with 6,600 miles has been in the shop for an oil leak for almost 6 weeks now waiting on a backordered part. Either Friday or next Monday it will qualify for time out of service under Utah's Lemon Law (13-20-5). Not sure how I feel about that other than frustrated.
It might seem an oil leak would be easy to diagnose with some fluorescent leak dye. Fixing it might be another issue, depending on location. Good luck with finding a quick resolution.
Sponsored