Fox or Falcon shocks with RK Lift

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
would you go for a rear track bar and steering stabilizer with that or not when lifting say with Falcon 2.1 SP2 with Teraflex on 33s on JLUR?
personally I just used the rear track bar bracket they included for now. I did do a new track bar up front from teraflex, and I did the adjustable Falcon steering stabilizer. Thats just me though!
Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
That's odd having to do it so frequently. I have had Falcon 3.3's on RK springs, on a JL. I now have RK 2.25 RRD's on my JLU with RK springs.

I LOVED the look of the Falcon's. I also like the look of the 2.1's you mention. But they are no comparison ride wise to how the RRDs feel. I get complements on how the feel from passengers when off-road.

I have had mine over a year now, have not yet had to charge them. I live in an area with large temp swings.

I understand your wish to want to get away from the maintenance side of things. But I would certainly question having to recharge every 3 months.

For me, I have set of MC rocksports I can throw in, to ship my shocks off to be recharged.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Out of the box fox 2.0 vs falcon 2.1’s. that’s what he asked. Why would a custom tuned fox shock ever be compared to an out-of-the-box monotube falcon? None of you guys know how to compare apples to apples obviously. I hope you guys are getting paid by Fox for all you random people who are trying to argue with my simple comment that a basic out of the box falcon is better than a basic out of the box fox shock
Well considering you can tune a fox shock in about 15 minutes I'd say it's a fair comparison. You can't even rebuild the Falcons yourself, you have to send them back to the factory.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
Well considering you can tune a fox shock in about 15 minutes I'd say it's a fair comparison. You can't even rebuild the Falcons yourself, you have to send them back to the factory.
not really, this guy said I don't want maintenance, he's buying one or the other and putting them directly on his jeep. the falcons are better. I think we can go down a huge rabbit hole when it comes to this stuff, and there's better minds than mine for that lol I just try to answer the real question the OP asks you know?

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
If you're comparing to Fox 2.5 DSCs then there is no question, the Fox's are much better than the Falcons.

Nope, not always. I went from AccuTune custom tuned Fox 2.5 DSC and now I have the new Falcon SP2 3.3 adjustable. The Falcon shocks ride smoother on the highway and soaks up bumps better.

This is MY experience with these shocks back to back on a JL. The Fox are also hard to adjust. I would have to use a tool to help most of the time. The Falcon shocks are super easy and only takes one finger.

I’m not bashing Fox. I am a Fox fan and have been mostly using them professionally and recreationally for over 25 years. Fox shocks are a terrific shock. They’re just not always the best for all applications and scenarios.

Falcon shocks were made by Teraflex specifically for the Jeep Wrangler and nothing else. The new SP2 model is much improved over the original.

Your exact Jeep setup also matters as far as how much extra weight and what type of surface you ride on.
The older Falcon shocks were known to be too stiff feeling for those that didn’t have much weight in their rig.
An Easy work around if you do like it on the softer side is to get the Falcon shocks that are tuned for the 2 door, this is if you have a 4 door. Or get the new SP2s that have the ability to adjust to overall soft ride.

Again, these are my opinions and experiences.

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
Nope, not always. I went from AccuTune custom tuned Fox 2.5 DSC and now I have the new Falcon SP2 3.3 adjustable. The Falcon shocks ride smoother on the highway and soaks up bumps better.

This is MY experience with these shocks back to back on a JL. The Fox are also hard to adjust. I would have to use a tool to help most of the time. The Falcon shocks are super easy and only takes one finger.

I’m not bashing Fox. I am a Fox fan and have been mostly using them professionally and recreationally for over 25 years. Fox shocks are a terrific shock. They’re just not always the best for all applications and scenarios.

Falcon shocks were made by Teraflex specifically for the Jeep Wrangler and nothing else. The new SP2 model is much improved over the original.

Your exact Jeep setup also matters as far as how much extra weight and what type of surface you ride on.
The older Falcon shocks were known to be too stiff feeling for those that didn’t have much weight in their rig.
An Easy work around if you do like it on the softer side is to get the Falcon shocks that are tuned for the 2 door, this is if you have a 4 door. Or get the new SP2s that have the ability to adjust to overall soft ride.

you are correct sir

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

What springs are you running ?

MadMaxJLUR

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Grey Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Also if i move up to 35s Tyres from my current 33s on my JLU Rubicon 2021 will I need to re-gear the transmission although it’s an 8 auto transmission? I’ve been reading different opinions on that Mostly advising to re-gear and speed calibrate from 35s and above.

not planning to go above 35s personally

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
What springs are you running ?
Right now I have the Mopar springs which are on the soft side in comparison to most others. Softer springs also tend to pair best with the Falcon shocks.
I would not recommend Falcon shocks if you have a heavy spring unless you appreciate the firm ride. Some do, but not me. I prefer it a little on the softer side.
The original Fox 2.5 shocks that come with this kit from Mopar were very soft. They were so soft that the Jeep had tons of sway on every turn. It was too soft which is what sent me on my quest to find the best shocks for my rig.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Also if i move up to 35s Tyres from my current 33s on my JLU Rubicon 2021 will I need to re-gear the transmission although it’s an 8 auto transmission? I’ve been reading different opinions on that Mostly advising to re-gear and speed calibrate from 35s and above.

not planning to go above 35s personally
I have 37” mud tires on my 2021 JLUR and I don’t notice any power loss but I only drove the Jeep once with the factory 33s.
This Jeep with the 2.0 turbo on 37s gets an average of about 19mpg. I also have a 2019 Tacoma V6 on 33s and the Jeep has way more torque and blows the doors off the Tacoma for power and MPG.
I was super surprised at how well it drives with 37s.
Do you need to regear for 35s? I say he’ll no, not at all. You’re easily good up to 37s with a Rubicon.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I have the Mopar springs which are on the soft side in comparison to most others. Softer springs also tend to pair best with the Falcon shocks.
I would not recommend Falcon shocks if you have a heavy spring unless you appreciate the firm ride. Some do, but not me. I prefer it a little on the softer side.
The original Fox 2.5 shocks that come with this kit from Mopar were very soft. They were so soft that the Jeep had tons of sway on every turn. It was too soft which is what sent me on my quest to find the best shocks for my rig.
Yeah everybody I know that prefers falcons are running softer springs.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Yeah everybody I know that prefers falcons are running softer springs.
From my research and experience, I came to the same conclusion.
It seems that shocks are affected by spring rate much more than most people pay attention to.
I think people pay too much attention to the shock itself instead of finding the right shock for their spring rate and spring type.
I would pair Falcon with softer springs and Fox with stiffer springs. This was my conclusion after trying a few different shocks and springs on my JL.

The 2” Dynatrac lift definitely gave the best ride out of everything I tested out. That suspension is super nice.
Sponsored

Last edited: