Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Been awhile since I have posted. But finally, a new mod. I found that the Roam steps/sliders, look great. But the actual protection/slider part not as great. They have much more flex than I would have expected. On a very mild slide, the rails were pushed into the driver side, damaging the rocker. Rocker armor would have helped, but I did not expect to need them.

I have since moved to Rock Slide Engineering Sliders with the built in motorized step. I also purchased, but have yet to install, the rocker protection that goes with them. These are MUCH more stout. And I have no fear they will stand up to my use. Which is not overly crazy. The steps are super strong. And certainly make getting in and out of the Jeep easier for the shorter people. I HIGHLY recommend their products. Great stuff, and great people.

Roam_Damage.jpg

RSE_on.jpg
I’ve had the same experience with my Roam sliders. I work them pretty hard. I am having to consider rocker armor as well.
Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Been awhile since I have posted. But finally, a new mod. I found that the Roam steps/sliders, look great. But the actual protection/slider part not as great. They have much more flex than I would have expected. On a very mild slide, the rails were pushed into the driver side, damaging the rocker. Rocker armor would have helped, but I did not expect to need them.

I have since moved to Rock Slide Engineering Sliders with the built in motorized step. I also purchased, but have yet to install, the rocker protection that goes with them. These are MUCH more stout. And I have no fear they will stand up to my use. Which is not overly crazy. The steps are super strong. And certainly make getting in and out of the Jeep easier for the shorter people. I HIGHLY recommend their products. Great stuff, and great people.

Roam_Damage.jpg

RSE_on.jpg
The RSE Step Sliders are a nice addition Aaron! I was invited to run the Rubicon Trail this past summer to produce content for Dixie 4 Wheel Drive.

Several of the Jeeps in our group were running the RSE Step Sliders and they were taking a beating! I was so impressed with the strength and durability that I ended up cutting a separate video on the steps.

If you care to see what a beating the steps can take, that video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw under 'Equipment Reviews'.
I hope you enjoy it!

-Steven

Last edited:

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Next up, I researched long and hard on this one. I wanted better rocker protection than the stock rubi ones. Something that came out further, and was stronger. Ultimately came down to the Roam frame mount slider steps. Frame mount, but no drilling. Appear to be very strong. Come out pretty far, even provides a step for my wife.

Only downside was one of my own making. Book one of the bolts to the backing plate for the roam logo that you can use to back it with a different color. Going to have to figure out a remedy for that.

Other than that, love these steps. Was also my first project where I got to use my new Milwaukee 3/8 cordless ratchet. How have I lived my life without this? I have air tools, but this is SOO much more convenient. May be time to pony up for 1/2 cordless impact as well.

5660F3F0-2A16-4E83-A32D-82632938BC1C.jpeg
LOL i have the 1/2 inch. i love it.

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
The RSE Step Sliders are a nice addition Aaron! I was invited to run the Rubicon Trail this past summer to produce content for Dixie 4 Wheel Drive.

Several of the Jeeps in our group were running the RSE Step Sliders and they were taking a beating! I was so impressed with the strength and durability that I ended up cutting a separate video on the steps.

If you care to see what a beating the steps can take, that video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw under 'Equipment Reviews'.
I hope you enjoy it!

-Steven
Awesome! Thanks, I'll go take a look.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase

I hope you enjoy it!

-Steven
Those suckers look pretty darn serious in protection while giving that lower step, very very nice

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Those suckers look pretty darn serious in protection while giving that lower step, very very nice
Yeah, they were getting thrashed on the granite with pretty much the whole weight of the vehicle on them...especially on 'Soup Bowl'.

I wasn't intending to ever do that video, but after seeing the footage I thought it was worth sharing for those who might be considering the RSE Step Sliders.

-Steven

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they were getting thrashed on the granite with pretty much the whole weight of the vehicle on them...especially on 'Soup Bowl'.

I wasn't intending to ever do that video, but after seeing the footage I thought it was worth sharing for those who might be considering the RSE Step Sliders.

-Steven
I'm glad you did. I have the GoRhino steps on there at the moment as I needed the wide step for my little but they are getting thrashed really bad on the rocks out here in Southern AZ so I know I'll be looking to replace them in the future.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm glad you did. I have the GoRhino steps on there at the moment as I needed the wide step for my little but they are getting thrashed really bad on the rocks out here in Southern AZ so I know I'll be looking to replace them in the future.
Thanks Jim! If you end up going with the RSE Sliders, add the armor.

@jawest12 sorry for the threadjack!

-Steven

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
You definitely can't go wrong with these. I don't have the extra skid plate yet, but I will. Just for that much more protection. And the step dropping down like that really is worth the price as well.

Sponsored

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
You definitely can't go wrong with these. I don't have the extra skid plate yet, but I will. Just for that much more protection. And the step dropping down like that really is worth the price as well.
Not sure if this is the right place, but I had ordered a Bikini that make it to my home. With that being said, I have a Very nice “ brand new“ Bikini color flashlight (LED) with holder, stickers that say bikini and other stickers that show the bikini and then say bikini edition. I had ordered them for the Rubicon. The big stickers are the same size as the Rubicon stickers on the hood. Anyway, for anybody who wants them first one $30.00.

CE280056-4C7B-4BC4-A380-3C25AC76DC00.jpeg

8E501BA7-E217-4E78-BEC4-54E97EBB74D4.jpeg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
I have fallen WAY behind in updates. But still doing Jeep stuff!!! First, wheeled it a bit for a good cause, a little white back, Mission 22.

Made good use of my SpiderWebShade trail bag too, cleaning up stuff up others left.

1_Wheeling.jpg

2_Wheeling.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
I missed an update of adding the Rock Slide Engineering steps, after having removed the ROAM side steps. LOVE these. At 6'2", I don' t really "need" the step, but they are still nice. The cocker guards and extra skid added later on.

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
One feature I really wanted, that I did not get, was the proximity entry. I was ecstatic once I found out that Tazer had the programming for this. My Jeep already had remote start, so the main wiring and RF hub were already there. Purchased all the stuff. Installed it all. Wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. It's an unnecessary extravagance, but I love it.

And, THANK YOU TAZER.

Proximity.jpg

Proximity_Open.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Next up we was a new front bumper from Rock Slide Engineering. I like the factory one, and the stubby look. But, as we all know, the stamped steel is not so long lasting.

This bumper has a great look. High line at the bumper ends. Has recovery points, factory fog provisions, and winch plate built in. Tucks the winch super low as well. I did not initially get the extra skid for the swaybar disconnect, but it is on order.

3_New_Front_Bumper.jpg
Sponsored