Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi all,

My ESS crapped out and I think the aux battery is gone. I got the "service auto stop start system" light after ESS has been on "bat. protection mode" for months. I am attempting to trickle charge the Aux battery, but no luck so far.

Before I take the Jeep the dealer, I would like to know if I wired my winch correctly.

Two things going on the picture. I am trying the charge the aux battery and I have the winch neg and pos cables installed. The neg cable is the one attached to what I think is ground and the pos to the main battery power. I draw a back circle around winch neg and red around the positive.

I just wanna make sure I didnt mess something up before taking it to the dealer to get the battey replaced under warranty. I am probably going to detach the winch cables and zip tie them and tell them I didnt wire them so they dont give me crap about the winch.

IMG_20210314_154740295_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210314_154740295_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Nothing wrong with winch.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Alright so it is a shitty battery then. Good thing it is under warranty. Ive never ever had to replace a battery before. Gotta love this overly complicated ESS....

Sponsored

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Alright so it is a shitty battery then. Good thing it is under warranty. Ive never ever had to replace a battery before. Gotta love this overly complicated ESS....
If it isn’t too much of a hassle I’d remove the winch before taking it in. I can already imagine the stealership blaming the winch even tho it has nothing to do with it

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The whole ESS hidden battery by FCA is poorly designed and this is why I removed both batteries and went a different route.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The whole ESS hidden battery by FCA is poorly designed and this is why I removed both batteries and went a different route.
what did you do? This whole ESS system makes no sense. Last thing I want is a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If it isn’t too much of a hassle I’d remove the winch before taking it in. I can already imagine the stealership blaming the winch even tho it has nothing to do with it
A royal pain. Id have to remove the whole bumper because of the way the bumper os designed. I will detach the cables and say I didnt want to comnect it until they checked my battery and give me green light.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
what did you do? This whole ESS system makes no sense. Last thing I want is a dead battery in the middle of nowhere.
Not the cheapest option for a lot of Jeepers but I went with the Genesis dual battery system, it utilizes two full size batteries that are easily accessible.

The aux battery in the Genesis system is used to run winches, aux lights, compressors etc... then you have another full-size battery that is for the most part a dedicated crank battery

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS crapped out - is my winch right C6722B3F-C253-4A1E-9A44-5139BAA77CE0
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS crapped out - is my winch right 7DF0E821-4A64-42D2-A0C7-80B73F8B9D65

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
A royal pain. Id have to remove the whole bumper because of the way the bumper os designed. I will detach the cables and say I didnt want to comnect it until they checked my battery and give me green light.
Stop trying to lie, you’ve done no wrong with the winch being installed. Honesty is always the best policy.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You’ve never had to replace a battery before? Are you 16?
31. Longest I had a car for was 8 years. Jeep patriot. Did not replace the battery. I also had a corolla for 7 years. Did not replace the battery. Got lucky I guess? this Jeep is a year old. Come on thats way too early for battery issues.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Stop trying to lie, you’ve done no wrong with the winch being installed. Honesty is always the best policy.
What would you say if they come with crap like "the winch drained your battery".
I agree, they cant prove anything and I wired things correctly. If it was my fault Id own it. I hope the dealer owns the warranty. Theyd been good to me with other warranty issues I had with the Jeep, so it should be ok.
Sponsored