Sponsored

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
Hi: Got the Y01 fix recall letter last week telling me to call dealer and get it fixed. Says, takes about 30 min!!
Scratchin my head " to fix it or wait for some time"
What say those who were brave and got it done! Thanks
Ramesh
Sponsored

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Took my 21 in today’ no noticeable difference, tbh i Like the gear indicator and yeah if I was worried about speed or torque I would be in another car.

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
Thanks. Agree, I like the gear indicator. Helps my short term memory defect 😏

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Took my 21 in today’ no noticeable difference, tbh i Like the gear indicator and yeah if I was worried about speed or torque I would be in another car.
Torque is what allows you to climb inclines on trails and crawl over rocks.

Unless your trails are flat and hard packed, you do care about torque.

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Torque is what allows you to climb inclines on trails and crawl over rocks.

Unless your trails are flat and hard packed, you do care about torque.
Not to argue but plenty of jeeps made it with quite a bit less torque, and if the incline is to steep that’s what recovery equipment is for. We have a slow vehicle period and the penstar and the turbo variant are not torque monsters, also losing a little bit of torque won’t be the end all cause for someone not being able to take on a path that wasn’t going to cause them problems anyways, driver mod is always the most important.

Sponsored

PierreNL

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL sport s 2021 6spd,Vw Golf 2020
Occupation
Retired
I ordered last Nov, just got VIN last week w/O telling me M/T recall issue by dealer until reading this..., I live M/T, but..., should I switch to auto if dealer allowed?
Ordered mine in November also and no news from dealer yet..

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I wonder why they just don't replace the pressure plate and be done with it.
Why a software fix?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A redesign and replacement of them all would be very expensive.

A software update costs very little.
This is BS. I would love to just trade mine in and get an auto. But I have put so much money into mine already with upgrades. What a pain in the butt. I suppose I could do the center force clutch and be done with it for peace of mind.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This is BS. I would love to just trade mine in and get an auto. But I have put so much money into mine already with upgrades. What a pain in the butt. I suppose I could do the center force clutch and be done with it for peace of mind.
Why? What’s the big deal? The 21’s already have this flash, and reduced torque (limp mode) *only* happens if temp soars do to unintentional slipping (i.e. clutch failure).

It’s just a safety net. Jeep goes into limp mode for many different conditions to prevent catastrophic failure, and now they’ve added one more.

Too much F.U.D. around this clutch. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of mine for 3 years, and have no intention to stop. I’ll take limp mode to avoid catastrophe over “auto park” on the 8sp...

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why? What’s the big deal? The 21’s already have this flash, and reduced torque (limp mode) *only* happens if temp soars do to unintentional slipping (i.e. clutch failure).

It’s just a safety net. Jeep goes into limp mode for many different conditions to prevent catastrophic failure, and now they’ve added one more.

Too much F.U.D. around this clutch. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of mine for 3 years, and have no intention to stop. I’ll take limp mode to avoid catastrophe over “auto park” on the 8sp...
It's just another thing on top of the welds and the steering.
Mine hasn't given me any trouble, and i don't do any rock climbing so i shouldn't be heating my clutch up to unsafe levels, but still it's something to worry about.
It's just that if the clutch is not a good part they should do the right thing and replace it.
I just looked up the price for the center force and it's not earth shattering, so I suppose i'll do that for peace of mind if it bothers me that much. I plan on keeping my jeep many years. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and only 16,500 miles thanks to Covid so I expect to have it for a long time.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
2020 JLUR manual owner here.

There is a tic tock video circulating on facebook of a 2021 white jlur with a failure that sent the disk out of the bell housing and into the engine. Surprisingly it did not result in a fire. I am editing this because info was added that the jeep was being flat towed in 4Low.

Anyway. I don't feel optimistic the software fix will resolve this issue.

I would post the video here, but I don't know how. I did 'save it in my fb videos, it's in a group called
'bronco 6' or something.

Last edited:

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
There is no temperature sensor in the clutch assembly, so the reality here is that the software reduces torque if it believes the clutch temperature has risen due to various parameters it models.

It has no idea if clutch slippage has actually occurred or what the temperature of the clutch might actually be, it''s all purely theoretical.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There is no temperature sensor in the clutch assembly, so the reality here is that the software reduces torque if it believes the clutch temperature has risen due to various parameters it models.

It has no idea if clutch slippage has actually occurred or what the temperature of the clutch might actually be, it''s all purely theoretical.
Ok, but until someone who has this patch (and lots of 21’s out there running with it, now) come here to say their Jeep went into limp mode for no good reason it’s all just F.U.D.

Same as the weld recall, and the steering damper...

All I’m saying is that I’m not going to get upset until there’s a reason to get upset. Certainly, I’m not considering trading in my Jeep over this. 😂
Sponsored