Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
You can put anything in a contract, does not mean it can hold up legally.

usually the best way to handle it is to tell your insurance, they have legal and will figure out if its worth fighting or paying. it boils down to cash in end
My fear was that insurance wouldn't cover it because we didn't have it in our possession while the damage occurred. They didn't care. They just took care of it.

Our glass policy is $7 per month and a $50 dollar deductible. Like you said... we let the insurance people deal with it this go round.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Sponsored

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My fear was that insurance wouldn't cover it because we didn't have it in our possession while the damage occurred. They didn't care. They just took care of it.

Our glass policy is $7 per month and a $50 dollar deductible. Like you said... we let the insurance people deal with it this go round.

Thanks to all for the advice.
In Canada, your insurance would go up as a result. I hope it doesn't work the same in the US.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
In Canada, your insurance would go up as a result. I hope it doesn't work the same in the US.
Is the glass covered under your normal vehicle policy?

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is the glass covered under your normal vehicle policy?
Yes, you can get special coverage to give you a zero deductible on the glass/windshield, but without that special coverage, your windshield is still covered, just at the same deductible as the rest of your car. but here, basically any claim raises your premiums, so for the cost of a windshield, it's not worth claiming.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I'm being told that our glass isn't their responsibility while in their possession.

No answers on how it was broken.
100% their fault. This happened to my work van, deer jumped up and busted the windshield. They said, your insurance can fix it? My boss said, no it was in your possession. TLDR, the shop paid to have it fixed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yes, you can get special coverage to give you a zero deductible on the glass/windshield, but without that special coverage, your windshield is still covered, just at the same deductible as the rest of your car. but here, basically any claim raises your premiums, so for the cost of a windshield, it's not worth claiming.
It used to not, but because the JL windshield is ridiculously expensive, now it does.

Glass claims used to have zero effect on general premiums back in the JK days because even the windshield with the goofy logos that cost more were still relatively inexpensive. I went through (and still go through) windshields yearly and my insurance didn't care and didn't raise my rates. I think the zero deductible for glass depends on the state, too. Colorado doesn't have the zero deductible because of the hail we get. That and practically nobody here can manage to drive for a week without plowing into something.

That ain't the case with the JL, though. The JL windshield still runs damn near $1,000 on average (and it's weird how the price actually varies; folks show pics of their Safelite invoices and the cost is all over the place).

If you aren't getting into any accidents, I think a lot of insurance companies were originally covering the windshields at a loss, even with a deductible. With my JL, my rate goes up every time I swap a windshield, but it's just a few bucks. I still think I'm breaking even between my yearly rate and what a windshield normally retails for.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I think my JL replacement was $330 because I didn't care about the OEM glass.
I actually tried to get my insurance to replace my last windshield with non-OEM and they wouldn't do it. It had to be the Mopar one for safety or some bullshit.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
What province you in?

It's not like that in BC.

If your window is broken/smashed when you are not there to see who did it - you MIGHT pay a deductible as long as you have comprehensive - but it might also be no cost and it DOES NOT affect your insurance premiums :)

https://www.icbc.com/claims/repair-replace/Pages/glass-windshield-claims.aspx

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think I would go full "Karen" on them...
They, like anyone else are 100 percent liable while they are in possession of your vehicle.

I have had my vehicles damaged twice, wait make that three times while in for service, and every time they paid 100 percent for the fix, because;
1. It was their fault.
2. It is the right thing to do.
3. They are liable, since you cannot protect your vehicle while it is in their possession.
No, they aren’t. It’s one thing if they break something due to negligence. The number of grown men acting like little girls here is disappointing.

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
No, they aren’t. It’s one thing if they break something due to negligence. The number of grown men acting like little girls here is disappointing.
Yes, actually they are, and I have 4 cases under my belt to prove it. Three were due to negligence and one to theft.
It's unfortunate that some people don't know how to stand up for their rights. When your vehicle is in the dealership’s "custody" any damage or theft that occurs is on them-100 percent.
*If the owner brought it in with a pre existing condition (cracked or chipped windshield) your comment might have merit.
However, on its face that doesn't appear to be the situation. Without any specifics supplied by the dealership, negligence is the default and likely the cause.
At this point with what has been presented, the windshield was damaged while in the (dealership) service department's custody and was in no way the fault of the vehicle owner.

This is called acting responsibly, which is what "grown men", adults and reputable businesses do.

If it were me, there is no way I would accept the vehicle returned with a broken windshield and the service department would be on the hook for damages-period.

I spend enough fixing my own damage, I don't need to subsidize the service department for theirs.

Hope this helps clarify.

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
When it comes to corporate liability (in this case, the dealership), the test is about reasonable behaviour. Did the dealership take all reasonable precautions to protect your vehicle, at least to the standard that they would protect their own?

As an example, imagine a tech’s outfit had grease on it and they smeared it all over your white interior. That is unreasonable, as the industry standard is to use paper covers. They would not have a leg to stand on, legally. The same would hold true if your vehicle was damaged due to a lack of required care.

if it was damaged by a 3rd party, or by an act of nature, or if you cannot prove that the windshield did not have damage (or the start of a crack) prior to your arrival, you may not have a legal leg to stand on. However, it is shocking that they would not take some of the responsibility, at least from a Customer Service standpoint. Be sure to let them know how extensive the FB Jeep pages, as well as this page, are and some will not want the bad press. Finally, many dealerships now are not locally owned, but rather owned by large corporate conglomerates ... appeal to them directly, as they often are very concerned about corporate image.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Be sure to let them know how extensive the FB Jeep pages, as well as this page, are and some will not want the bad press.
Let's not overstate our importance here; the number of customers/potential customers here as compared to the general public is truly miniscule.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes, actually they are, and I have 4 cases under my belt to prove it. Three were due to negligence and one to theft.
It's unfortunate that some people don't know how to stand up for their rights. When your vehicle is in the dealership’s "custody" any damage or theft that occurs is on them-100 percent.
*If the owner brought it in with a pre existing condition (cracked or chipped windshield) your comment might have merit.
However, on its face that doesn't appear to be the situation. Without any specifics supplied by the dealership, negligence is the default and likely the cause.
At this point with what has been presented, the windshield was damaged while in the (dealership) service department's custody and was in no way the fault of the vehicle owner.

This is called acting responsibly, which is what "grown men", adults and reputable businesses do.

If it were me, there is no way I would accept the vehicle returned with a broken windshield and the service department would be on the hook for damages-period.

I spend enough fixing my own damage, I don't need to subsidize the service department for theirs.

Hope this helps clarify.
You sound like a bully. I don’t think “I have complained to management 4 times and they always do what I say” is a point of pride.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.