Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Jeeper352

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Vince I’d be happy to advise about getting a lawyer or not. I require 5% consulting fee from ur settlement
Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Every single manual in the JL/JLU line is affected.

Anyone know at this point if it is still safe to drive?

Someone posted pictures of pieces shooting through their engine. Just trying to figure out. Lucky for me, I have another vehicle to drive if I need too.

As a note, I have smelt the burning smell coming from the clutch, and thought it was because it was new. Now, I am beginning to wonder.

It stands to reason that if the problem doesn't exist with the 2021
models, replace all the effected jeeps with the inferior design with
the one used in the 2021 model. The reason as always is dollars, cost. FCA doesn't want to spend the money. The are looking for a cheap bandaid like returning the available engine power / torque vis software.
I had ordered a JL Sport-S with the manual transmission. I prefer manual. But there came to a point where I didn't want to take the Wrangler on trips. My solution, I traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma with the trail option. I surveyed the Bronco line. The Bronco Sport would not be suitable for Wrangler owners. The Bronco will not be available towards the end of the year. If one wants the Bronco sport they are pushing there under powered 3 cylinder engine. Basically one is buying the escape model with a different shell with some off-road improvements. I loved the Wrangler, but got tired of all the recall notices with no solutions. On a positive note, I received almost 90% of my cost in the trade. Best of luck to all who want to wait for FCA.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I never even have to touch the clutch when rock crawling. Geared so low I don’t ever need to feather it or prevent a stall.
Yep, no feathering on the Rubi, you just let that clutch out in 1st gear and crawl.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It stands to reason that if the problem doesn't exist with the 2021
models, replace all the effected jeeps with the inferior design with
the one used in the 2021 model.
Incorrect. There was a stop order on ‘21 models for this very issue. The recall was the same, but with a different number (Y01 instead of Y07). They now apply this software build at the factory.

Just enjoy your Jeeps. A properly bled clutch with recalls performed is fine.

I’d rather have this recall and solution than a Toyota with a bad fuel pump.

About to hit 36,000 on my 2018. It’s been nothing but a joy to drive.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone considered putting their Jeep on a dyno before and after the software upgrade to confirm the firmware update behaves as described? I’m not sure the “computer calculated temperature based on xxx metrics” passes the sniff test to me. Surely someone on here with a 6spd also has access to a dyno that can do that at low/no cost?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone considered putting their Jeep on a dyno before and after the software upgrade to confirm the firmware update behaves as described? I’m not sure the “computer calculated temperature based on xxx metrics” passes the sniff test to me. Surely someone on here with a 6spd also has access to a dyno that can do that at low/no cost?
Not a bad idea but the big question is at what temp does the software kick in. We are all perplexed at how the computer is even registering a temp for the clutch since there is no sensor anywhere near the clutch.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not a bad idea but the big question is at what temp does the software kick in. We are all perplexed at how the computer is even registering a temp for the clutch since there is no sensor anywhere near the clutch.
Somewhere on here, I read that the computer calculates the temp based on other factors, it just seems fishy. I hope someone dynos it before and after haha

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JLhater

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Somewhere on here, I read that the computer calculates the temp based on other factors, it just seems fishy. I hope someone dynos it before and after haha
🤔 I got money to blow...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not fishy, it’s physics. And they aren’t calculating temp, they’re calculating unexpected slipping (which results in heat). Think about it. If you’re in 4th gear going 45 mph and RPM spikes to 4500, you have a problem. 100% the Jeeps that went up in flames had that condition, but it went unnoticed or ignored. (No, that’s not operator error. Yes, it’s Jeep’s fault. Yes, they shipped a defect - improperly bled slave cylinders coupled with poorly placed fuel lines.)

Now the computer will spot this condition and take action. It’s a good feature, IMO.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not fishy, it’s physics. And they aren’t calculating temp, they’re calculating unexpected slipping (which results in heat). Think about it. If you’re in 4th gear going 45 mph and RPM spikes to 4500, you have a problem. 100% the Jeeps that went up in flames had that condition, but it went unnoticed or ignored. (No, that’s not operator error. Yes, it’s Jeep’s fault. Yes, they shipped a defect - improperly bled slave cylinders coupled with poorly placed fuel lines.)

Now the computer will spot this condition and take action. It’s a good feature, IMO.
This is the first model that makes sense since there is no way to monitor temp at the clutch. The problem is FCA has a $hit track record already so I'm finding it hard to believe that their software "upgrade" wouldn't screw with something else or functioning this well.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA has a $hit track record already
I don’t find that to be true with the Wrangler. My experience has been great, thanks in no small part to the fact that the dealership that serviced my one and only warranty claim (bad aux battery) has been excellent. I’m not alone: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/early-buyers-is-your-jl-3-years-old-yet.67363/

YMMV, but if you go on any enthusiast forum your gonna seen a lot of “brand XXX sucks.” It was rampant on the Raptor forum I used to frequent when I had one, and that truck was nothing short of fantastic. No doubt Taco and Ram owners used to come there just to troll.

Anyway, let’s see. Maybe my clutch will explode, tomorrow, and then I’ll be back here to eat some crow. As an OG of this forum, however, the number of unbacked “FCA sucks” posts is tiresome.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t find that to be true with the Wrangler. My experience has been great, thanks in no small part to the fact that the dealership that serviced my one and only warranty claim (bad aux battery) has been excellent. I’m not alone: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/early-buyers-is-your-jl-3-years-old-yet.67363/

YMMV, but if you go on any enthusiast forum your gonna seen a lot of “brand XXX sucks.” It was rampant on the Raptor forum I used to frequent when I had one, and that truck was nothing short of fantastic. No doubt Taco and Ram owners used to come there just to troll.

Anyway, let’s see. Maybe my clutch will explode, tomorrow, and then I’ll be back here to eat some crow. As an OG of this forum, however, the number of unbacked “FCA sucks” posts is tiresome.
I own two JLs and can tell you first hand of QC and warranty issues. As an OG on this forum you can search my posts for details. I wasn't making a blanket statement that FCA sucks but I also don't think it's a stretch to say their track record isn't the greatest.
One issue that comes to mind is the protocol to replace $2000 axles on the Rubis when it's a $20 sensor in the axle that is failing. Search that one out on the forum. So to think that a software fix is the way to handle a poorly designed clutch... well let's just say I don't think that is the way to go. FCA is doing everything in their power to avoid a straight up clutch recall. They started with the BS shrink wrap sleeve and now they are moving to software. Sadly it will take someone burning to a crisp in their Jeep for them to do the right thing and recall the clutches.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One issue that comes to mind is the protocol to replace $2000 axles on the Rubis when it's a $20 sensor in the axle that is failing.
I did see that one. No argument there, that is a mess! I also looked at the DIY potting procedure... nope. I’m not confident enough in my skills to drill into my sensors. Unfortunately, my warranty is up in less that 500 miles. 😡

I also can’t ascertain the downside of Z Auto’s bypass solution. I mean, the sensor is there, presumably, for a reason. What if they are bypassed and the lockers legit fail?

I probably took my exasperation for the three separate threads on this topic out in you... sorry for that. The point I was trying to make is that F.U.D. does not help us. We need real world feedback on this fix. I’m hoping someone has access to a dyno and can A/B before an after, which I believe should show no difference.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

This solution did sound a little “fishy” until someone figured out the manual transmission has a gear indicator. Since that’s available it should be a simple calculation to detect clutch slippage as described above.

I’m not worried about this fix (now) and will get it done. I’d rather not have the gear indicator on the dash, but I’ll learn to live with it.
Sponsored