Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Took the Jeep in for some warranty work. Went to pick it up on Tuesday and the problem is still there. However, I do have a new cracked windshield.

Dealer says they aren't at fault for glass damage while the vehicle is in their possession.

Bit of a stretch for me. Hoping you'll be the sounding board for me and let me know if it is their fault. Or mine.

What say you?

@JeepCares what say you?

Here's a pretty picture of Colorado.

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it? 20200930_140723
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Well I know one thing's for sure, it's certainly not your fault.

Did they say how it got cracked? If they took it on a test drive to check their work or diagnose, then I think it's just really crappy luck that it happened while they had it. I'd be interested to know how it got cracked as that could make a difference in my mind.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DOOKEY

Was there anything said about how it was damaged... Need info to know how to address...
  1. Did someone try to break into the vehicle while it was there?
  2. Tech was test driving it and a rock flew up and hit windshield?
  3. Tech was working on vehicle and a tool he was using inadvertently struck window?
  4. Kid playing ball next door, hit ball and hit windshield?
  5. Tech was working with wiper arm without blade & it came down forcefully and cracked windshield?

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I'm being told that our glass isn't their responsibility while in their possession.

No answers on how it was broken.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
At the very least they owe you an explanation of how it happened. Someone knows.
I agree. However, it has been my experience that once they don't fess up to it would you really believe anything they say?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
What was it in for? I can't imagine how they even accidentally break a windshield, but nothing an FCA service tech does or doesn't do is a surprise to me anymore.

I remember taking my JK in for warranty work on the windshield wiper motor and got my Jeep back with a huge gash in the center of the steering wheel. I have no idea how you manage to screw that up. After some arguing, though, they eventually succumbed and replaced it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
What was it in for? I can't imagine how they even accidentally break a windshield, but nothing an FCA service tech does or doesn't do is a surprise to me anymore.

I remember taking my JK in for warranty work on the windshield wiper motor and got my Jeep back with a huge gash in the center of the steering wheel. I have no idea how you manage to screw that up. After some arguing, though, they eventually succumbed and replaced it.

Rear axle replacement. So they had to drive it around. Part was on back order so they've had it for almost a month. Who knows what could happen in that time frame.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I think I would go full "Karen" on them...
They, like anyone else are 100 percent liable while they are in possession of your vehicle.

I have had my vehicles damaged three times, wait make that four times while in for service, and every time they paid 100 percent for the fix, because;
1. It was their fault.
2. It is the right thing to do.
3. They are liable, since you cannot protect your vehicle while it is in their possession.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rear axle replacement. So they had to drive it around. Part was on back order so they've had it for almost a month. Who knows what could happen in that time frame.
Thought you were on tons and 40s , anyway..... the wife’s girlfriend just had this happen on her Sahara. The tech took it on test drive after warranty work and caught a rock from truck he was following. They 100 percent took care of it plus apologized for her inconvenience. It probably depends on the dealership like with everything else you have done by them....🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Thought you were on tons and 40s , anyway..... the wife’s girlfriend just had this happen on her Sahara. The tech took it on test drive after warranty work and caught a rock from truck he was following. They 100 percent took care of it plus apologized for her inconvenience. It probably depends on the dealership like with everything else you have done by them. .......🤷‍♂️
That's my other Jeep.

Your experience seems to be what my gut tells me should happen.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.