2.0T knocking noise

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
this isn't actually knock, DI engines make this noise more and more as they build uo hours and mileage, it has to do with the valves building up carbon and making noise, not fully opening and the injectors being loud. I had a DI 5.3 and it made very similar sounds that made me worry about knock until I learned better, I also saw a drop in fuel economy from it over time and power loss as well, the engine wasn't able to breathe as it was designed from the build up on the intake valves. It's not a good thing but it's not the engine knocking.
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
this isn't actually knock, DI engines make this noise more and more as they build uo hours and mileage, it has to do with the valves building up carbon and making noise, not fully opening and the injectors being loud. I had a DI 5.3 and it made very similar sounds that made me worry about knock until I learned better, I also saw a drop in fuel economy from it over time and power loss as well, the engine wasn't able to breathe as it was designed from the build up on the intake valves. It's not a good thing but it's not the engine knocking.
How do we fix it? Italian tune up?

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
How do we fix it? Italian tune up?
I sold that truck but from what I read the best way was prevention with an oil catch can, and if you already had sorted valves guys were using walnut media blasting to clean them up. I sold that truck because I didn't need it anymore and decided that wasn't worth the hassle, I will now never buy a DI only engine, I've seen first hand why having the port injectors to keep the intake valves clean is a good idea. Another solution was a water methanol kit because it essentially steam cleans and is very effective for preventing any issues with it. Basically you just need something in the intake air that will wash off the partly burnt particles getting put in there.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Finally have an appt to get the knocking evaluated, leaking transmission fixed, and only after that will the folks at @JeepCares look into the steering box replacement. The rep on the phone spent 15 minutes or so arguing with me about all of it, then Friday called and threatened to cancel the case if I didn't advise him of the appointment with the dealer!! I left several message and then today got a vice message saying he cancelled it. Wonderful service!! So far, I'm not impressed.

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well, small update. Was originally supposed to get the Jeep back tomorrow (Saturday), after dropping it off this past Monday. However, got a call and it looks like I won't be getting it back until next Wednesday.

Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Well, small update. Was originally supposed to get the Jeep back tomorrow (Saturday), after dropping it off this past Monday. However, got a call and it looks like I won't be getting it back until next Wednesday.
Dealer says our knocking is "normal" and engine passed all diagnostics. They got ugly when I asked them to compare the noise to a new vehicle in inventory.

I do NOT recommend Encore DCJR in Mobile, AL

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just got an update, now the pick up date is Monday, went from one week to two weeks. Grateful they are taking care of it, just miss the Jeep 😞
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T knocking noise 2C333F0B-569F-459B-9F7C-8781394F1C29

Champagnesalvi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL rubicon
So is this rod knock or is it something else ? I used to have an STI and had bad ROD knock and my engine blew.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My husband and I, over the past few days, separately noticed that my engine sounds louder than it has. It has always sounded a bit “rattly” and one guy asked me if it was a diesel.

It’s just over one year old with 6,700 miles and I use premium gas.

I‘m wondering if anyone else has noticed their engines getting louder?

Sponsored

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I have a similar noise around 2k rpm's and no load. The tech at the dealer I go to said they had redesigned the tappets in the 2.0 engine to reduce the amount of clearance surrounding the tappet. Going to take it in next month since I have a few trips planned. I'm at 26k and 11 months since I bought it new. No real issues besides it being annoying.

Gahooligan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I bought a 2019 sport etorque used at 29k miles. Has 33k now. Sounds exactly like the sound clip. People ask me why is so loud or is it a diesel. It is embarassing. Now i am a bit concerned. To say the least.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

This is one of 20+ video clips I have of the Jeep. Once I played it in the dealer and the mechanic said “ that sounds normal, all Cummins sound like that” . Fun thing, they still have not fixed the problem.
You need a lemon law attorney
Sponsored