2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs. Rubicon

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
When I bought my JK Sport I was thinking daily driver and light off roading. 10 years later I ordered a JL Rubicon in January. Picking it up Saturday. I got bit by the off road bug between the years. So easy decision for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The Rubi is going to hold it's value over the other models because of the beefier and extra equipment they come with.
Most people are going to tell you to go for the Rubi for the extra $3500.
I am spending too much time on this! Way to many options...

The difference with same options is closer to $7000. The website was allowing me to select options it already come standard on the Willys. For example the Willys come with LED lighting and I was selecting the LED package for $1365. Also, I selected the sun and sound which includes the premium Alpine audio sound system, but the site allowed me to also select the premium sound add on for $1295.

I figured if I could select and option that it was not included in the base trim.

At least now I will be well prepared when I go to the dealer.

It is amazing, the local sales person I was assigned at the dealership knew less than I did about the Jeeps and various options. Everytime I asked a question she never seemed to have the answer and would need to walk off and ask her manager. I told her she could probably do a lot better selling jeeps if she learned more about what she was selling. She said she only worked there since October so she is still learning.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
When I bought my JK Sport I was thinking daily driver and light off roading. 10 years later I ordered a JL Rubicon in January. Picking it up Saturday. I got bit by the off road bug between the years. So easy decision for me.
Yeah, if I had any desire to do serious off road obstacles the Rubicon would definitely be a no brainer because it is ready to handle climbing over boulders right out of the box. I did not exactly play with dollies as a child but I had no interest in playing with trucks either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am spending too much time on this! Way to many options...

The difference with same options is closer to $7000. The website was allowing me to select options it already come standard on the Willys. For example the Willys come with LED lighting and I was selecting the LED package for $1365. Also, I selected the sun and sound which includes the premium Alpine audio sound system, but the site allowed me to also select the premium sound add on for $1295.

I figured if I could select and option that it was not included in the base trim.

At least now I will be well prepared when I go to the dealer.

It is amazing, the local sales person I was assigned at the dealership knew less than I did about the Jeeps and various options. Everytime I asked a question she never seemed to have the answer and would need to walk off and ask her manager. I told her she could probably do a lot better selling jeeps if she learned more about what she was selling. She said she only worked there since October so she is still learning.
And if she is like most car salespeople, she will be selling Kias by next October.

A $7,000 gap between Willys and a similarly equipped Rubicon sounds on the high side but not by much.

When I used to buy JKs, the gap between a Sahara and a similarly equipped Rubicon was $3,000. I read somewhere that the gap widened to $4,000 with JL.

So, yeah, I believe the gap between a Willys and a Rubicon should be anywhere between $5,000 and $7,000.

The builder on Jeep.com is full glitches. It’s been like that for years. Must not be a priority to fix it.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
An additional consideration for a Michigander is snow tires. The sahara will need a separate set of snows, or a full tire replacement. A rubicon with KO2s will not.

That cuts down that differential a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
An additional consideration for a Michigander is snow tires. The sahara will need a separate set of snows, or a full tire replacement. A rubicon with KO2s will not.

That cuts down that differential a bit.
I ultimately decided on a Willys. It comes with LT255/75R17C Tires. I think they are more aggressive then what is on the Sahara so maybe not ideal for everyday pavement tires but you can't have everything. Good for mud, not sure about snow.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My last decision was 2L turbo or 3.6 e-tourque.

Last summer when I was looking I did two test drives, they only had 2.0s on the lot so that is what I tested, the jeeps were great but something did not seem right.

So yesterday I made sure I tested a 2.0 and 3.6 back to back before ordering

The wife came with me for second opinion.
First did the 2.0t, it had lots of pep, but boy, does that engine sound like it is working hard. My wife kept saying what is that noise every time I gave it the gas? I said the engine. Turbo lag was minor but there and annoying, but the engine did seem very capable.

Then we tried a 3.6. Upon starting the Jeep, I noticed something different, the start up sounded like a real engine. Gave it a little gas to roll out of the parking lot, then merged on to the road. Decision made 3.6 no brainer, engine sounded great, it had some muscle to it, and did not seem like it was straining to get the job done. Wife settled on the 3.6 the moment I started the engine.

I think the performance of the 2.0T and 3.6 are very equal. It is just the 3.6 felt so much smoother and did not have the high pitch straining sound of the 2.0. L

I was kind of hoping I would like the 2.0L to save money on the build and gas but no joy. Very glad I did the back to back test.

YMMV

Total order came to ~$53000 and the Employ control number got it down to ~$48000 - not bad.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Actually my custom Sahara gets way more attention and admiration than any stock Rubicon these days, many many curious passerby stop and ask me what’s this “Sandstorm” and where they can buy one.😂

CE79764D-7EB9-41D3-BF80-12E54C05475C.jpeg
Where did you get your lettering from? "SS Fancy Boy"

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your order!

Pixeldecals.com is a sponsor on here and does excellent work.

Send Don a PM and he will take care of you.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
I definitely like the look better not sure if $4000 better.
As been said... What makes the Rubi “the Jeep” is the Locking Dana 44’s, sway bar disconnect, 4:1 transfer case and the a bunch of the “look better” stuff.

All honesty unless you are already pushing your finances to hit $50k range then I think for a few thousand dollars more you don’t get a better looking Jeep, you get a better Jeep.

You may not go off-road much now but wait until you get the bug. I see a dirt road and I want to know where it goes.

ok, I say that and will also say. The Sahara with the limited slip may be the answer. Also, if you’re handy there are a lot Rubi Take off’s. You want a kick ass set up? Buy a sahara with LSD and put some A gladiator Rubicon Take off suspension.

Sponsored

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
I’m not sure what it’s like in Michigan but here dealers really do not like to deal on Rubicon’s, I could have saved a LOT more on a Sahara, probably another 2k.
In Canada, a couple of dealers will deal on factory order since they don't have to keep stock. We got no fees and dealer invoice on our 2021 JLUR. Fully loaded, 10 of 11 packages and Sky One-Touch Roof for $61,500cdn (about $48K USD).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I ultimately decided on a Willys. It comes with LT255/75R17C Tires. I think they are more aggressive then what is on the Sahara so maybe not ideal for everyday pavement tires but you can't have everything. Good for mud, not sure about snow.
MTs are so-so in snow; not terrible, but not great either.

As already suggested: with a rear LSD, if you get a set of Rubicon takeoff BFG KO2s, you will be totally set for next winter!

I’d think you can resell your Willys MTs in a flash if you wanted.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Congratulations on your order!

Pixeldecals.com is a sponsor on here and does excellent work.

Send Don a PM and he will take care of you.
Thanks. I don't see ads since I use Ublock origin. What is Don's forum name?

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Price and amount of off roading was a no brainer for me. factory custom built Sahara with no regrets. I can always build up or trade up.
Sponsored