lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You want to look cool? Or beat the crap out of it?
Well, maybe both. I have not yet been able to beat the crap out of anything as I have not been off-road, how much crap beating are we talking? I’m thinking a loving beating is all I’m ever going to give anything, nothing hardcore

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
If you're going to spend the money get a thick steel bumper instead of the paper thin stock bumper.

If you just want to look cool I really like the stock bumper. First trip to Tuttle and it won't look like it did when you bought it.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Depends on what you want to do. For me I wanted a stubby and don't like the hooks so it wasn't worth it to me. I really like the looks of it, but I was able to get a bumper I like a lot that is stronger and better for offroading for just over half the cost of the bumpers. And the rear doesn't really add much to the equation of the bumpers if you want to do a tire carrier rear bumper. Aftermarket rear bumpers are expensive.

Shrockworks and LOD make very good bumpers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I’m sorry I mean REAR Bumper, whoops must’ve missed that in the title

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you're going to spend the money get a thick steel bumper instead of the paper thin stock bumper.

If you just want to look cool I really like the stock bumper. First trip to Tuttle and it won't look like it did when you bought it.
Are you out in KS? Do you think the rear bumper is worth it at all?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Are you out in KS? Do you think the rear bumper is worth it at all?

Grew up around Wichita. Been to Lawrence many times.

I had the steel bumper group on my Jeep when I got it. Took them off for some heavier duty bumpers. So for me... they aren't worth it. I do carry a full size 40" spare so it helped persuade my decision since I had to move the spare to the bumper.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Grew up around Wichita. Been to Lawrence many times.

I had the steel bumper group on my Jeep when I got it. Took them off for some heavier duty bumpers. So for me... they aren't worth it. I do carry a full size 40" spare so it helped persuade my decision since I had to move the spare to the bumper.
I’ll only go up to a 35” tire. Do you gain clearance over a plastic bumper with it?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
If you're wheeling it a lot, the rear steel bumper flexes up into the body if you come down on it. A weird flaw probably because it's made of a thinner metal. My Jeep was optioned from the factory with steel bumpers and I love the stubby front with a winch added, but if I were going with a rear bumper to upgrade from the OEM plastic one I'd probably shop around.

Not sure on tire clearance vs plastic, but it certainly fits my 35" milestar with the stock tire carrier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you're wheeling it a lot, the rear steel bumper flexes up into the body if you come down on it. A weird flaw probably because it's made of a thinner metal. My Jeep was optioned from the factory with steel bumpers and I love the stubby front with a winch added, but if I were going with a rear bumper to upgrade from the OEM plastic one I'd probably shop around.

Not sure on tire clearance vs plastic, but it certainly fits my 35" milestar with the stock tire carrier.
I love those front bumpers, but its too costly compared to aftermarket options

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I love those front bumpers, but its too costly compared to aftermarket options
Check out the prices on BAM Wholesale Parts. You can get the front bumper with LED fogs and skid plate for $1k. Even cheaper if you just want the stubby.

Still not cheap but better than most vendors offer.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar rear steel bumper was designed and shaped to resist damage from a moderate hit from behind. Due to texting while driving, a nitwit rear-ended me in stop and go rush hour traffic on a B road. Cost him a grill, hood, fender, and radiator. I had a scratch on one of my bumper sensor bezels.

Unfortunately, as Jesse mentioned above, the nature of the bumpers shape offers no real strength to resist a hit from below. So coming down off of a ledge, or any situation that causes the bumper to drag, will cause it to flex up and into the corners of the body.

I knew all this before ordering my Jeep, but I liked the front steel bumper enough to be fine with knowing the rear would eventually get replaced.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Don't do it. They're a total waste. They look great, but as others have said, it's not a viable option for those who actually use it offroad.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
There are a ton of posts here with pictures showing that the Mopar steel rear bumper caused damage to the body when hit. 100% not worth it IMO.
Sponsored