Sponsored

Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
In Conclusion: The incorrect module was in fact installed during production, it was swapped out with the correct one noted above, and everything now works as expected.
Thanks for bringing it up and giving me something to look out for when my Jeep arrives. Glad they got it fixed for you. :clap:
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

So, what does the wheel do with the ambient lighting? I also have a 2021 with LED lighting package and can't seem to get the wheel to do anything.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So, what does the wheel do with the ambient lighting? I also have a 2021 with LED lighting package and can't seem to get the wheel to do anything.
My understanding is that the Sahara and Rubicon models uniquely support footwell ambiant lighting in addition to footwell courtesy lighing (active when doors are opened). The left brightness adjustment wheel allows the ambient lighting in both the doors and footwell if present, to be adjusted when the driving lights are turned on. I don't believe interior ambient lighting has anything to do with the LED Lighting package, but is dependant on the model of the vehicle.

(Jeep doesn't make feature dependencies very clear for some reason.)

Granite Willys

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired
Yes, the Sahara’s and Rubicon’s that have the ambient lighting will have the small footwell LED modules with connectors that have three wires. One will be the ambient light positive wire and I used this wire to add red ambient lighting to the interior of my rubicon and it all still dims with the left-hand scroller next to the light switch. So yes, the harness should have three wires (door pos, ambient pos, and ground) if you have the footwell ambient lighting in your jeep.

Edit: I can also provide information on wire colors and their functions if others have plans to modify their ambient lighting system.

I have a 21 Willys and was thinking of putting in the Oracle underdash led strips. Do you think i will be able to control it by the left dimmer wheel on the dash ( which does nothing at this point ) or am i out of luck and should not waste my money because it will only work when the door is open ?. Any advice would be appreciated.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 21 Willys and was thinking of putting in the Oracle underdash led strips. Do you think i will be able to control it by the left dimmer wheel on the dash ( which does nothing at this point ) or am i out of luck and should not waste my money because it will only work when the door is open ?. Any advice would be appreciated.
For that you would need to tap into the ambient light wire from the little led modules located on the drivers and passenger footwell ceilings. If you check those and look at the connector that plugs into the led’s under the footwell and it only has 2 wires, then you do not have that ambient light wire and I don’t know of any other way you can tap into that ambient light scroller next to the headlight switch. If you have three wires then you do have the ambient light wire and you can tap into that and your entire setup will dim with the scroller.

edit: here’s a photo of the connector that has the ambient lighting wire with identification:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting? C033355F-92A0-43FA-B844-0DAE4B1B93AA

Sponsored

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
For that you would need to tap into the ambient light wire from the little led modules located on the drivers and passenger footwell ceilings. If you check those and look at the connector that plugs into the led’s under the footwell and it only has 2 wires, then you do not have that ambient light wire and I don’t know of any other way you can tap into that ambient light scroller next to the headlight switch. If you have three wires then you do have the ambient light wire and you can tap into that and your entire setup will dim with the scroller.

edit: here’s a photo of the connector that has the ambient lighting wire with identification:
Jeep Wrangler JL Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting? C033355F-92A0-43FA-B844-0DAE4B1B93AA

The wiring harness on my 2021 Sport S only has two wires but it looks like I have two bulbs. The bulb on the right is the curtesy light and the other LED doesn’t do anything. Perhaps the Jeep was supposed to have footwell lighting but Jeep used the wrong wiring harness.

86FB93E7-FD63-4797-86DB-0442A6CBB756.jpeg

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Ok, got the wheel working on my 2021. Jeep needs to be running... Left wheel controls foot well lighting while driving. Can be on or dim to off. I don't have any lighting in the door and have not seen that on a JL yet. My BMW has ambient lighting all over that you can even change the colors on. You can pick two colors that fade into each other as well. With LED's so cheap, I am curious as to why Jeep did not allow color choices.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Just went out and checked my 20 Rubi, and it only has the ambient lighting on drivers side. It does dim and brighten with the wheel. So, does this mean I have the wrong module? I assume it was supposed to work on both footwells.

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just went out and checked my 20 Rubi, and it only has the ambient lighting on drivers side. It does dim and brighten with the wheel. So, does this mean I have the wrong module? I assume it was supposed to work on both footwells.
If you've got 3 wires connected to the passenger side module, it should work if the correct module was installed (I can't imagine why the factory would intentionally disable passenger side ambient lighting, unless they ran out of the correct module during production and didn't want to hold up the line).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
As I stated earlier one of those wheel switches dims the dash lights, radio and opens the dome lights. The other does nothing. I was just thinking, I always leave my lights on “auto”. I wonder if I use them manually if the wheel well lights would then work? Either way the auto lights feature is great. I’d never use manual as you don’t have to touch anything. The Jeep turns on the lights as needed.
I wondered why that dial didn't appear to do anything back when we got ours, so I posted this, it actually does do something, just not much :(
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-this-dash-switch-for.22525/

Sponsored

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
If you've got 3 wires connected to the passenger side module, it should work if the correct module was installed (I can't imagine why the factory would intentionally disable passenger side ambient lighting, unless they ran out of the correct module during production and didn't want to hold up the line).
I only have two wires, not the third for the ambient loghting. Strange. I think that maybe the wrong module was installed. I have the dial controller and the ambient lights. There is no reason why they should not be made to work.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I only have two wires, not the third for the ambient loghting. Strange. I think that maybe the wrong module was installed. I have the dial controller and the ambient lights. There is no reason why they should not be made to work.
Anything other than Sahara models and above (Sport, Sport S, etc.), only have 2 wires and no ambient lighting in the footwells. They all have the same dial controllers. On non Sahara and above models, the dial only controls (barely) the ambient lights in the doors and front cup holders.

Granite Willys

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired

Jeep Wrangler JL Recent 2021 JLUR's shipped without passenger ambient footwell lighting? 86FB93E7-FD63-4797-86DB-0442A6CBB756
Thanks for the info i'll have to check on it this weekend !

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Well.....update. I just checked and I have 3 wires to the pass side. I also have the door handle lights, but the only thing lighting up is the drivers foot well. Wrong module??

OP
OP

AKA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well.....update. I just checked and I have 3 wires to the pass side. I also have the door handle lights, but the only thing lighting up is the drivers foot well. Wrong module??
You could bring it to your dealer and have them check, or you could first unbolt it yourself (7mm) and check the part number; if it ends with a 12ab it's the wrong one, if it ends with 13ab, it's the correct one but may be broken.
Sponsored