Sponsored

2021 or wait for 2022. Lease due soon. What's new for 22???

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Would any of you possibly know whether the transfer case in these new rubicon full time 4wd systems uses a clutch system or a planetary gear system to differentiate the speed between the front and rear driveshafts?
I'm 99.9% sure its a clutch pack added into the transfer case.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Because, it's insane to buy out a lease. During the lease you have a full warranty, full maintenance, no repair bills. Although I love Jeeps, I'm not taking any chances on issues in the long run. Just like anything, when the warranty is up, that's when problems start. When you buy out a lease, you continue to pay the full payment until the vehicle is paid off. Another 3 years or so. That payment along with no bumper to bumper warranty makes no sense. By the time the loan in fully paid the vehicle is falling apart. You pay either way, but I'd rather pay less upfront and end up with a known entity. One payment no problems.
Whats insane is to live from lease to lease. You can save a good chunk of money to buy a Jeep up front. This way you will only buy what you can truly afford and not overspend. But you dont spend that money, you go to a credit union and get a car loan with a good interest rate 1~2%. You buy the Jeep with the loan and put the cash into google, apple, IVV, microsoft, or whatever healthy stocks you like for 3~5 years investment.

Your earnings pay off the interest and you make some money on top. You can cash out and pay off your Jeep after 3 years and keep it for as long as you want and save a ton of money. Or keep your investments and make even more money. And Jeeps have a good resale value, so you can truly save a lot of money if you keep the jeep for at least 5 to 7 years.

Thats how you play the game.

Or you lease and have a new car every 3 years. Enjoy a life worry-free of mechanical issues. But dont fool yourself, this has an enormous financial cost longterm.

Last edited:

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm 99.9% sure its a clutch pack added into the transfer case.
Thanks for the input! Thatā€™s exactly what many others are also thinking. If thatā€™s the case, itā€™s a shame they didnā€™t use a more robust and wear-resistant planetary gear system for the rubicon considering there are many full time transfer cases in existence that are designed that way. They basically have a second planetary gear system which is designed in a way to act as a differential in the transfer case, with the first planetary gear system being for the 4Low gear reduction.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Thanks for the input! Thatā€™s exactly what many others are also thinking. If thatā€™s the case, itā€™s a shame they didnā€™t use a more robust and wear-resistant planetary gear system for the rubicon considering there are many full time transfer cases in existence that are designed that way. They basically have a second planetary gear system which is designed in a way to act as a differential in the transfer case, with the first planetary gear system being for the 4Low gear reduction.
Yeah for the wheeling and rocks where I'm at the full time t-case was a no go for me. Didn't want to add any additional possible failure points.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I leased once 22 years ago; never again. I donā€™t like driving around in a vehicle that ainā€™t mine.

With social distancing and working from home, I barely drove 2,000 miles in my JL over the last 12 months. If I were leasing this Jeep, it would go back with only 1/4 of the miles I paid for. Iā€™m sure there would be an adjustment in the equity of the vehicle to reflect the low mileage, but whatever money FCA doles out wouldnā€™t even pay for the tax on the next vehicle.

I used to trade in my Jeeps every 2-3 years, right before the warranty ended. But at this rate, this Jeep is going to have barely 10,000 miles when the three years are up. It would be a waste to trade in a vehicle with such few miles. Especially when it hasnā€™t given me any problems.

Provided I go back to market by 2025 or 2026, Iā€™ll probably give some sort of hybrid powertrain strong consideration. Hopefully, 4xe had all the bugs worked out by then.

Working from home is a game changer; I have to adjust accordingly.

Sponsored

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Yep. I generally agree we don't need both engine options. The 3.6 is quite ancient at this point. The 2.0 isn't really that new either other than in this platform.
I don't see them ditching either option soon. The 3.6 is the current Wards 10 Best Engines, has a solid flat and long towing torque curve, great cooling, and is known to go hundreds of thousands of miles. The 2.0 helps fleet ave mpg to avoid penalties, is in the new 4XE, and it's an efficient motor with peaky torque that people like to feel. So these 2 great (imo) options kinda makes sense, though I have no idea the COGS.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Because, it's insane to buy out a lease. During the lease you have a full warranty, full maintenance, no repair bills.
The powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles. Most cars go 100k miles with just maintenance, brakes and tires. One thing works against buying a Jeep off lease is the high residual value make for a much higher post lease payment, unless you put good chunk of money down. The one positive is that all older Jeeps have a great resale value.

As for 21 vs 22, in MA is cheaper tax wise to buy a 21 model in 2021 vs buying a 22 model in 2021. Vehicles in general tend to get cheaper at the year goes buy. Also if the semiconductor shortage start to affect new vehicle sales it might case the discounts to be reduced if you wait until for this summer. I have no clue about the refresh, if you are leasing does it really make that much of difference, you can always get the refresh the next lease. If you're worried about having the same car in different color, get a different model/engine this time.

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Because, it's insane to buy out a lease. During the lease you have a full warranty, full maintenance, no repair bills. Although I love Jeeps, I'm not taking any chances on issues in the long run. Just like anything, when the warranty is up, that's when problems start. When you buy out a lease, you continue to pay the full payment until the vehicle is paid off. Another 3 years or so. That payment along with no bumper to bumper warranty makes no sense. By the time the loan in fully paid the vehicle is falling apart. You pay either way, but I'd rather pay less upfront and end up with a known entity. One payment no problems.
I'm sorry but this logic is awful. Sure, older vehicles generally need some additional money for maintenance and an issue or two. That money pales in comparison to what you'll pay either financing or leasing a Jeep for it's first 3 years. An older Jeep would have to have multiple, significant issues to compare to the first 3 years of depreciation and even then, a newer Jeep still likely costs more. Not to mention you could get an extended warranty which would still be pennies compared to a new car payment. The "old" Jeep in this case isn't even old. A 2018 presently is in a vehicles sweet spot for reliability and cost.

Most "problems" occur when a vehicle is brand new. Defects expose themselves early on out of the gate. If after 3 years a Jeep has been problem free, there's a good chance it'll be good for it's lifetime besides maintenance/upkeep. Even with a crazy 72 or 84 month loan, a 6-7 year old vehicle is by no means falling apart. If if is, that's on the owner more than anything. The most expensive period of vehicle ownership will always be the first 3 years of ownership, ironically when the "warranty" is in play and you're "not paying" for issues.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
The lease payment is going to be similar to an 84 month loan, which I know sounds like an insane amount of time, but on Wranglers, 3 years off the 84 months still gets you to wholesale bluebook. My 2015 was so far ahead at 60 months of the 84 that I sold it and got $13000 more than what I owed, and that was with just short of 100k miles on it. This and the 4runner are the only things you can do that on. If you were to buy any car, you lose 1/2 your value in 2 years. The only way to make payments and stay ahead of value is to go 60 months.

You only lease if they are offering really high residuals, like in the 70+ % range on something that declines in value more than that after 36 or 39 months. Wranglers tend to hold 70% of their value through year 4 if you can keep the miles low, so they are always worth buying. If we were talking about a Pacifica, Compass, Journey or anything else like that, if you buy new its at a huge rebate or a very good lease term. All of those critters are worth 30% of msrp after 3 years.

In the end, the question of getting a 21 or a 22 is going to be up to you. The v6 isnt going anywhere. They are pushing the 2.0L for sure, its also the standard motor now. Unless you want the manual transmission, you have to get the v6 with etorque now though with the auto.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The option to walk away at the end a lease is a primary advantage, especially with high resale and potentially trouble prone vehicles like the JL. But make no mistake, acquisition costs and high money factors make most leases very expensive and undesirable. Iā€™ve leased a number of vehicles in my lifetime but only when the money factors have been subsidized and residual values over estimated. A JL lease would not meet those standards at this time.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Bought the Jeep for the wife lease my Mercedes. I like switching out my car often as I get bored of it! But now Iā€™m also thinking I want a Jeep. I would like to get a 392 once u connect 5 lands in them and they offer 360 camera system.

JL304

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Anyone know when the ā€˜22 models will start hitting the lots?

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Probably just pay month to month for a few months if I can. Sometimes they are good about that. If not, then Ill just get a 21. I like the 4xe and was thinking about that, but its pricey. Maybe now that you mention it I may check that out. Thanks.
make sure you look at what the lease buy out is at the end of the lease, versus just handing it back. Wranglers, particularly Rubiconā€™s, hold their value and you may find you can make a profit by buying and selling it yourself.

on the hybrid - donā€™t forget the $7,500 tax credit. Either as a cap cost reduction if you lease that would give you a very nice lease payment, or reduce the purchase price (via your taxes) if buying.

not Sure why anyone wouldnā€™t get the hybrid if they were getting the 2.0 - itā€™s cheaper with the tax credit. Particularly if leasing and youā€™ll be handing it back after three years.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
make sure you look at what the lease buy out is at the end of the lease, versus just handing it back. Wranglers, particularly Rubiconā€™s, hold their value and you may find you can make a profit by buying and selling it yourself.

on the hybrid - donā€™t forget the $7,500 tax credit. Either as a cap cost reduction if you lease that would give you a very nice lease payment, or reduce the purchase price (via your taxes) if buying.

not Sure why anyone wouldnā€™t get the hybrid if they were getting the 2.0 - itā€™s cheaper with the tax credit. Particularly if leasing and youā€™ll be handing it back after three years.
I am thinking about the hybrid but a little concerned about 1st year issues as it's new for FCA. What do you think?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Jeep has not sold any 4XE yet, so the leasing details aren't known. I researched the Chysler Pacifica lease deals and the leasing company doesn't always share the lease credit or they only share some l of the credit. Sometimes it is baked into the deal. I wouldn't order a 4XE with the expectation your going to get good terms on a lease. I would go into 4XE purchase thinking that your buying the vehicle outright to get the $7500 credit (assuming one pays enough taxes to get the full credit)
Sponsored