First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Retired
In September 2020, I bought a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust. It has extensive rusting. Their limited lifetime warranty only covers discoloration. i think the problem is worse than that and constitutes corrosion. Has anyone had similar issues with this make and model? It purportedly is made with 409 stainless steel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust Rust Problem image0
Jeep Wrangler JL Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust Rust Problem image1
Jeep Wrangler JL Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust Rust Problem image2
Jeep Wrangler JL Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust Rust Problem image3
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Unfortunately the likelihood of rusting and corrosion is something that never factors into the decision of whether or not to purchase the aftermarket equipment that can rust and will be exposed to road salt.

Some members have started threads in the past about their aftermarket bumpers and side steps showing accelerated rusting after going thru a winter season. It’s unfortunate but it happens.

OP
OP
mcarmel

mcarmel

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Was curious about this myself, did a quick search, some good info here:
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs...inless-steel-bet-you-didnt-know-these-details
Fantastic and very helpful thank you so much. I spoke to a lawyer friend of mine and he informed me Holley Performance , in spite of their warranty which excludes coverage, is responsible for replacement and installation costs. To wit:

1. Implied warranty of merchantability.
2. Implied warranty of suitability for a particular use
3. The NJ Consumer Fraud Act

Most notably, item 3 provides for treble damages plus counsel fees. Looks like I will be getting a new 304 stainless cat-back exhaust or I will see them in court. BTW, I don't bluff.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately the likelihood of rusting and corrosion is something that never factors into the decision of whether or not to purchase the aftermarket equipment that can rust and will be exposed to road salt.

Some members have started threads in the past about their aftermarket bumpers and side steps showing accelerated rusting after going thru a winter season. It’s unfortunate but it happens.
Very true! I'm a research nut and spent over a year lurking and reading threads here before joining. Spent another several months reading and learning before ordering my Jeep. More reading, while racking up 10k worth of shakedown miles, before I started modifying. I may have made the mistake of underestimating the JLUR's ability to handle more than 35's and a 2" lift, without feeling like a pig for daily driving, but I did know to stay away from Johnny joints in my wet part of the country with salted winters. I slightly ignored that, for the sake of having a high amount of misalignment, when I opted for the Rock Krawler no limits front sway links. One winter, and they are collecting light surface rust.
Sponsored