Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Going back to wiring CB and Ham together. I have Cobra 75 CB (3 amp max on Tx) and ICOM 5d-5100A (13 amp max on Tx). Since the “ignition on power” wire is rated 10 amp only, is the correct way to wire would be:

1. CB power -> “ignition on power” wire in passenger footwell
2. Ham power -> directly to the battery hot through firewall

My understanding is that I can’t wire them both to the “ignition on power” auxiliary wire because I’ll exceed max 10 amps rating, correct?
You'll only exceed if they are both on at the same time.

Otherwise, your statement is correct.
Sponsored

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

You'll only exceed if they are both on at the same time.

Otherwise, your statement is correct.
Thank you for confirmation. The Ham radio I'm looking at draws 13 Amp during transmission. This exceed the rated 10 Amp on the supplied "ignition on" wire. So, I've chosen a better route. I ran 6 AWG from the battery to the solenoid in the front passenger well and then used the 10 Amp "ignition on" wire to control that solenoid. This way I can supply way more than 10 Amp to anything I need to power inside the cabin.

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Just an FYI if it hasn't already been noted. The orange/pink is aux3 and pink/orange is acc.

I just finished wiring my dashcam and from the original diagrams the wires are swapped in their labeling.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
So there is lots of great info here. Been digging around for a few hours trying to find the ones inside, going to take another stab at it tomorrow. Sucks that Jeep didn't make the ACC/On wire inside more than 10amps. Gonna have to waste a switch with the 40 amp circuit for my ham radio. 2021 JTR diesel

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU. Previously: 2016 JK, 1997 TJ.
Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but with the factory AUX switch group is there a harness in the rear as well? Or is it just the one up front under the passenger footwell? I have an LED light I'd like to install on the roll bar as a rear flood, controlled with one of the AUX switches.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but with the factory AUX switch group is there a harness in the rear as well? Or is it just the one up front under the passenger footwell? I have an LED light I'd like to install on the roll bar as a rear flood, controlled with one of the AUX switches.

@decavolt

Passenger foot wel Aux bundle and in engine compartment Aux bundle, that is it.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thank you for confirmation. The Ham radio I'm looking at draws 13 Amp during transmission. This exceed the rated 10 Amp on the supplied "ignition on" wire. So, I've chosen a better route. I ran 6 AWG from the battery to the solenoid in the front passenger well and then used the 10 Amp "ignition on" wire to control that solenoid. This way I can supply way more than 10 Amp to anything I need to power inside the cabin.
Not sure about powering a ham radio this way. There could be a lot of rf interference re the cars systems. It’s always been recommended to me to power my radios direct to battery.
73 de M5PM 🇬🇧

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Not sure about powering a ham radio this way. There could be a lot of rf interference re the cars systems. It’s always been recommended to me to power my radios direct to battery.
73 de M5PM 🇬🇧
Thank you for the tip. Does your ham radio work then even with the ignition off?

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
You can program how the circuits work….always on or switched.

PatRodriguz

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey guys so I purchased a garmin dash cam parking cable kit. It uses a ground wire, Constant power wire (battery), and accessory wire.

Using the diagrams found here labelling the interior passenger aux connectors, I was able to wire these with the parking cable.

The issues I am facing is There is no power To the dashcam.

That being said, do I need to turn on one of the aux buttons to power the interior footwell aux system? I already tried this and no power. I've messed with every aux configuration and still nothing.

I can't figure out what I'm missing because the wiring was done properly with solid contact connectors.

Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Hey guys so I purchased a garmin dash cam parking cable kit. It uses a ground wire, Constant power wire (battery), and accessory wire.

Using the diagrams found here labelling the interior passenger aux connectors, I was able to wire these with the parking cable.

The issues I am facing is There is no power To the dashcam.

That being said, do I need to turn on one of the aux buttons to power the interior footwell aux system? I already tried this and no power. I've messed with every aux configuration and still nothing.

I can't figure out what I'm missing because the wiring was done properly with solid contact connectors.
First just to confirm that you are wiring up the garmin parking mode kit that has three wires: black - ground, yellow - constant 12v, red - accessory 12v. And that you have the factory-installed aux switches, which should give you 6 wires in the passenger footwell.

If that's the case, you connect the yellow to the red/white which is direct to battery (constant power), and the red to pink/orange (ignition/acc), and of course black to ground. This way once the vehicle is turned off, the dashcam knows to turn itself off once your battery level drops too low. No need to connect to aux 1-4.

PatRodriguz

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
First just to confirm that you are wiring up the garmin parking mode kit that has three wires: black - ground, yellow - constant 12v, red - accessory 12v. And that you have the factory-installed aux switches, which should give you 6 wires in the passenger footwell.

If that's the case, you connect the yellow to the red/white which is direct to battery (constant power), and the red to pink/orange (ignition/acc), and of course black to ground. This way once the vehicle is turned off, the dashcam knows to turn itself off once your battery level drops too low. No need to connect to aux 1-4.

I did exactly that and I'm not getting any power to the dashcam! That's why I'm wondering if I missed a step!

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I did exactly that and I'm not getting any power to the dashcam! That's why I'm wondering if I missed a step!
That's a mystery then. To troubleshoot, test the red/white lead and ground (where you grounded the dashcam) with a multimeter, there should be voltage even when the vehicle is turned off. Also test the pink/orange...

ceaesq

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Moab
I had to plug my Garmin mini in with the cigarette lighter plug to get it setup and working before it seemed to recognize the parking mode was available in the Drive app. But I don't remember if it turned on just by the hardwire kit first.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
You wired power to pink/orange correct? My wires were opposite from the original post in this thread.

Also, make sure your dashcam doesn’t need to have the voltage stepped down to 5V. I wired my dashcam to ignition and it wouldn’t work until I added a converter to go from 12V to 5V.
Sponsored