Sponsored

Driving on beach sand.

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I’ve always driven on beaches in NJ without airing down. Have I just been lucky?
Probably. I think it really depends on the sand. I got stuck going in a dead straight line running 16 psi in my stock BFGs here on the beach in Cape Cod, MA (Race Point Beach).

OP, if your tires start spinning from getting stuck, just stop. Dig out the area in front of the tire, take a little more air out, you should drive right out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. D71CB482-4FC8-4001-9C7E-FBD2439DD619

OP
OP
Iaintgonnatellu

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What about the myth about getting sand stuck in the transfer case or transmission case. What proper precautions should I take when I’m done and at home.

OP
OP
Iaintgonnatellu

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Probably. I think it really depends on the sand. I got stuck going in a dead straight line running 16 psi in my stock BFGs here on the beach in Cape Cod, MA (Race Point Beach).

OP, if your tires start spinning from getting stuck, just stop. Dig out the area in front of the tire, take a little more air out, you should drive right out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. D71CB482-4FC8-4001-9C7E-FBD2439DD619
What kind of mirrors do you have with the doors removed

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
The correct type of tire helps as much as lowering air pressure. An all terrain tire is actually much better than a mud tire on sand. I don't air down my tires much any more since I've learned to drive in loose sand. But I advise always lowering tire air pressure for inexperienced beach drivers.

Ok, so my Rubicon has an 8 speed auto trans and I've driven in 4H and 4L. If the sand is very loose and you are in 4H, you'll need to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st to avoid bogging down in loose sand. If in 4L you'll have no problems bogging down, but you'll overheat the trans if you go too fast. My trans temp stayed around 190-195 in 4H using 1st and 2nd. That's not much different than 70mph highway speed temps, but I didn't push it either. I've got no idea about manual trans tips.

Do not drive in the tidal pools or very wet sand! It's terrible for your jeep and you risk sinking your tires. Stay alert to the tide coming in and be prepared to get moving away from it quickly.

Don't be that guy who forgets others are out there and be very aware of people. Drive slow at 15mph or below.

Like already mentioned be equipped to dig out or be pulled out. Here in North Carolina the park rangers and beach patrol will not pull you out if you're stuck. You'll have to wait for a good Samaritan to help or call a tow truck.

Have fun and leave only your footprints and tire tracks behind.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The correct type of tire helps as much as lowering air pressure. An all terrain tire is actually much better than a mud tire on sand. I don't air down my tires much any more since I've learned to drive in loose sand. But I advise always lowering tire air pressure for inexperienced beach drivers.

Ok, so my Rubicon has an 8 speed auto trans and I've driven in 4H and 4L. If the sand is very loose and you are in 4H, you'll need to manually downshift to 2nd or even 1st to avoid bogging down in loose sand. If in 4L you'll have no problems bogging down, but you'll overheat the trans if you go too fast. My trans temp stayed around 190-195 in 4H using 1st and 2nd. That's not much different than 70mph highway speed temps, but I didn't push it either. I've got no idea about manual trans tips.

Do not drive in the tidal pools or very wet sand! It's terrible for your jeep and you risk sinking your tires. Stay alert to the tide coming in and be prepared to get moving away from it quickly.

Don't be that guy who forgets others are out there and be very aware of people. Drive slow at 15mph or below.

Like already mentioned be equipped to dig out or be pulled out. Here in North Carolina the park rangers and beach patrol will not pull you out if you're stuck. You'll have to wait for a good Samaritan to help or call a tow truck.

Have fun and leave only your footprints and tire tracks behind.
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. Screenshot_20210308-031157_Chrome

All terrains are only better in sand at street pressure, aired down aggressive is always better for the same reason paddle tires exist.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Growing up in Fla, you figure out how to run in sugar sand. As mentioned, keep moving. While at the Tillimook Sand Dunes, I also discovered traction control is not your friend, turn it off. Other than that, I've found on a beach, you'd probably have to try to get stuck to have any problems. We chug through the soft stuff in 4H at just above idle. Pic, Sunset beach in Oregon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. 20200708_194912

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am looking to do this for the first time this year and am excited to try it in a few months. I have the upgraded tire/ wheel package, but no bead locks. The rules are very clear that you have to reduce tire pressure to 10 psi to hit the beach.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. 20200708_194912
I vote for this picture to be included next to the word "fun" in Webster's Dictionary.

Sponsored

oldman

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited JL SS, ordered 2022 Rubicon XR
If your driving the beach dunes near the water, always have a 5 gallon bucket available. If you get bottomed out and need to dig out, fill the bucket with sea water and pour the water into the dug out sand area in front of your tires for several feet. The water will pack the sand down like concrete and you will just drive out with no issues!

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
What kind of mirrors do you have with the doors removed
I use kikbax Mirror and Peg set up, no vibration on the mirror no matter how fast you go and they lock in place. I have 4 years on them now and other than the poly bushings for the door hinges these are a fantastic upgrade.

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving on beach sand. jk-mir

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I drive on the beach in NJ on Island Beach State Park. They have some pretty stiff rules on required equipment. If the place you are going does not, it's a good list to refer to.

Permits are issued to 4-wheel drive vehicle owners for fishing purposes only. Carrying the basic equipment listed is required whenever the MSFV is on the beach.
1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8) Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.

A current tide chart is highly recommended. Jumper cables for the vehicle's specific battery type are also recommended.
Before hitting the beach, I:
  1. Drop my tire pressure to about 15 psi (never lost a bead). Some folks I talk to swear you need 10 psi, but I never needed it on my TJ nor my JT.
  2. Line up with the entrance on the tarmac, get a straight rolling start and throw it in 4H (no turning in 4H on hard stuff)
  3. Turn off traction control
  4. Put the transmission in manual and lock it in 1st
  5. Slowly approach the sand
  6. Once I'm moving on the sand, I go to 2nd gear depending on speed, IBSP has a strict 10 mph limit.
While driving on the beach, try to stay in tire tracks of the folks before you.

Things you shouldn't do:
  1. Go anywhere the water has recently touched, you don't want to go below the tide line. While wet sand can be very strong, if there is still water covering it, it can turn "soupy" and you can sink very easily
  2. Go near or passed the dune line, this is a big no-no in many areas, the dunes are protected. Depending one where you are, it could be a crime to cross the dune line.
  3. Stop unless you really need to. Every time you stop there is a chance you'll have a tough time getting going again.
  4. Drive between other cars and the water line, they probably have lines out that you'll catch with your Jeep, this tends to make people a little unhappy
  5. Cast side-arm, always cast over your head
  6. Park too close to people, try to keep ~20ft on either side of you, some people cast side arm (a general no-no as sometimes the sinker breaks free) and a little distance will help them miss you
  7. Leave any trace but your treadmarks. This includes any broken fishing line and hooks, make sure you police that shit when you leave. Many beaches also offer bathing depending on the season, you don't need somebody stepping on a hook.
Always tread lightly my friends!

Higs

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What about climbing a dune? I saw you should use 4H. I've heard you should manual shift and keep it in 2nd to keep the rpm's high. Or do you downshift as you climb the dune?

I plan on visiting a place over in Michigan where you can drive on dunes. There's a test hill that's a challenge and will take any tips I can get.
We visited Silver Lake in MI 2 years ago. Had no issues at all with my all stock 2018 JLUR, running 10 psi in the back and 12 in the front. 4H all the way, never bogged down, and could climb anything there. Had a blast! Highly recommend!

IMG_2352.jpg
Sponsored