2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs. Rubicon

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I am looking to get a fairly loaded Wrangler. I was about to put in an order for a Rubicon and for the for the heck of it built out a Sahara and found it is much less expensive.

I am not a hard core off roader, the craziest stuff I do is hunt in the fall/winter down some backcountry two tracks and dirt roads that can get sandy or muddy and rough.

My current Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk can currently handle everything I have encountered except one time when there was a fairly messy sandy / muddy stretch on some back road I barely got through and then had to stop and the first power wash car wash I found to get the sand out of my wheels to get them back in balance.

My other driving is around town, towing a boat and some traveling. I had my eye on a Rubicon, mainly because they look cooler, and the branding, but I wonder if a Rubicon is overkill for me.

Two pretty much identical builds give me the following price:

Rubicon: $55,120
Unlimited Sahara: $51,650

What are the major things I am missing with a Sahara vs a Rubicon ?

Is there anything I am missing with a Rubicon vs a Sahara ?

Does the Rubicon hold resale value better?

Now I am wondering if the more rugged look of the Rubicon is worth it and maybe a negative for someone that does 95% of their driving on normal roads and at worst hits some iffy two tracks, back dirt roads, and a snow storm.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You'll have lockers, Dana 44 axles, sway bar disconnect and different gearing and it likely will be more than you ever need. It is the case for me. However, i love the rugged look of the Rubicon and I just really dislike the wheels on the Sahara and the grill inserts so in my case i decided buying a Sahara to then spend a couple thousand on appearance i might as well just go with the Rubicon from the start since it made me happy out of the box.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Someone already mentioned the mechanical differences so I'll skip those.

My personal experience is I really like the look and capability of a Rubicon. I also enjoy the way people comment and admire it. I'm not afraid to admit that I like the attention it gets and just sparks conversations.

You're not going to be losing value in a Rubicon as fast as other lower trim and capability Jeeps. My personal experience on lost resale value of a JKU Sport vs a JKUR is that the Rubicon easily held its resale value better.

Aside from the Rubicon admiration and value, I just like knowing what its capable of if and when I'm willing to go offroading.

To be fair and accurate the Sahara is no slouch. It's just not a Rubicon. I am fully aware of my bias lol.

Sponsored

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I’m not sure what it’s like in Michigan but here dealers really do not like to deal on Rubicon’s, I could have saved a LOT more on a Sahara, probably another 2k.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I first owned a JK Altitude (Sahara) and loved it.... until we got out west and got hooked on off roading. Traded for a Rubicon for the added capability and have never looked back. If you're looking to save money, I can see that, but if you can swing the extra $$, I'd definitely recommend the Rubi. It would cost a lot more to add the options to a Sahara after the fact.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
$4k is a great deal for the axle upgrade alone, before the rest of what makes a Rubicon. If you're at all interested in lift and bigger tires, a Sahara shouldn't really have anything bigger than 35's, but 37-38's easily pair well on a Rubi without needing a regear.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I definitely like the look better not sure if $4000 better.
Personally my extent of off-roading is what you have planned. Even if the locking diffs, front sway bar disconnect, 4:1 crawl transfer case were available on other wrangler models, I would not have ordered them. The look is really up to you on how you value it, you're the one writing the check and really the only one who can make that decision.

I know this isn't your question, but I was looking at Sahara's, but ultimately settled on ordering 80th Anniversary. Most of the features of the Sahara are on the 80th (The 80th doesn't have the HD rear brakes and center console USB/light). You can't get Leather, Sky top and Body colored Hard top on the 80th. It was $2800 cheaper for ordering the 80th vs Sahara for me.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I definitely like the look better not sure if $4000 better.
The price difference in your orig post was $3,500.

i quoted the stock 33” rubi tires on town fair tire and installed come to $1,100. I imagine with wheels you’re not far off $2,000 out the door, and that's for 4 wheels. Add tire/wheel for the spare and you're over $2K. Add grill inserts and you’re in the low/mid $2,000 in cost, so for a little more than $1,000 you’re getting all of the Rubicon mechanical upgrades.
This is just my own reasoning in your current situation because I simply could not live with the stock Sahara wheel/grill look. If you like the look then that $2k in tires and wheels doesn’t apply to you therefore the Sahara would make sense.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn’t take much to make the stock Sahara wheels looks good; all they need is meatier rubber. That is all.

In fact, once the difference in rubber is eliminated, I personally much prefer Sahara's classic 5-spoke wheels over Rubicon's "flowery" looking wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615040969783

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615041135646

If I were to get a Rubicon, I'd have to get the optional Mopar wheels.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615041439563

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
If you are comfortable with the extra cost, Rubicon hands down.
If you can afford it and do not choose the Rubi, you will regret it every time you see one.
I love mine! Always wanted a Rubi, and happy I have one.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
I went through a similar thought process a few months ago before ordering a Sahara. I think folks above answered the questions you posed, so I'll just add you really have to ask yourself what you want and ignore whether anyone else thinks your Jeep is cool...maybe that's stating the obvious.

The Rubicon looks kick ass, I think everyone agrees. For me as a suburbanite with 2 young kids that may do a few camping trips a year up to Maine, the Rubicon is higher cost for functionality I *may* never use, but the Sahara stock features I'll use every day...nicer/cushier armrests, additional sound deadening, garage door opener, rear USB ports, a suspension biased toward on-road...Plus the Sahara (vs Sport, which I realize you're not considering) offered the option for remote proximity entry.

When thinking about what to do, I recall reading a post from @aldo98229 describing someone he knew, that always purchased Saharas because they come from the factory with all the things he couldn't add, then he could build the Jeep he wanted with whatever wheels, tires, suspension, gears, axles, etc. he wanted. That made sense to me, and is the path I'm headed down. My Sahara adds only LSD, cold weather, trailer tow, and black hard top; I'll build from there for whatever else I want/need.

My $0.02.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I went through a similar thought process a few months ago before ordering a Sahara. I think folks above answered the questions you posed, so I'll just add you really have to ask yourself what you want and ignore whether anyone else thinks your Jeep is cool...maybe that's stating the obvious.

The Rubicon looks kick ass, I think everyone agrees. For me as a suburbanite with 2 young kids that may do a few camping trips a year up to Maine, the Rubicon is higher cost for functionality I *may* never use, but the Sahara stock features I'll use every day...nicer/cushier armrests, additional sound deadening, garage door opener, rear USB ports, a suspension biased toward on-road...Plus the Sahara (vs Sport, which I realize you're not considering) offered the option for remote proximity entry.

When thinking about what to do, I recall reading a post from @aldo98229 describing someone he knew, that always purchased Saharas because they come from the factory with all the things he couldn't add, then he could build the Jeep he wanted with whatever wheels, tires, suspension, gears, axles, etc. he wanted. That made sense to me, and is the path I'm headed down. My Sahara adds only LSD, cold weather, trailer tow, and black hard top; I'll build from there for whatever else I want/need.

My $0.02.
Indeed. His name was Norman Layton --aka Mopar Norm. He owned a business east of Los Angeles that specialized in restoring and modifying old Jeeps and Power Wagons.

Unfortunately, he passed away in 2015. He was a fine gentleman: very knowledgeable of Jeeps, offroading, vintage Mopars, and genuinely generous with his time.

Norm in the back of a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615044147104

Norm at the wheel of his modified Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615044020031

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I see you are in Michigan. Perhaps I can share some perspective, having owned Rubicons and Saharas, and lived in California and Washington.

If you have year-round access to good trails, a Rubicon is a no-brainer. They are great fun. My Rubicons excelled on dry, rocky trails. I actually miss wheeling a nice, tough trail on a 75-degree day in the middle of January.

But if you have to deal with winter, a Sahara —or Willys— with a rear LSD is going to get you through it more confidently. Don’t get me wrong, a Rubicon will get you through snow. Especially for short, well-contained areas. But Sahara is my go-to Jeep for driving through a blizzard for miles upon miles; they just do it with a lot less fuss. Unlike lockers, that LSD is always working. Even in 2WD. And that is a big advantage in inclement weather.

As much as I miss wheeling in California, my access to hardcore trails is quite limited here in Washington. On the other hand, weather is always a wild card. So this time I got a Sahara with Selec-Trac and LSD, and it’s been a godsend. I’d do it all over again.

Last October up on the local mountains
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615047724067
Sponsored