Jeep wont start

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj on 42s - JlU Rubicon on evo 3.5 lift with km3 37x12.5r17
I'm on a middle of a trip far from any assistance, yesterday after eating i went to start the jeep and lights started blinking, wiper tried to move, and clicking sound came from the engine, i had to disconnect the battery for it to stop, i have a type s powerbank starter, it started but when i tried to drive it shut off, i tried until powerbank is no longer starting it...any idea what could be happening?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm on a middle of a trip far from any assistance, yesterday after eating i went to start the jeep and lights started blinking, wiper tried to move, and clicking sound came from the engine, i had to disconnect the battery for it to stop, i have a type s powerbank starter, it started but when i tried to drive it shut off, i tried until powerbank is no longer starting it...any idea what could be happening?
@PanamaJl
Is your JLU a 2018 model year ?

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
From what I've read it sounds like the main battery may be toast. I've never experienced it but apparently these rigs won't run on alternator power alone (after a jump). The root cause could also be a loose connection (battery / alternator).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably know this but your issue is most likely depleted battery(s) related. JL's are known to exhibit symptoms like you mention... lights blinking, wipers weird, etc., when one or both batteries are depleted....

Can you get someone with battery cables to jump you. Hook up running donor vehicle to your JL... leave the donor running and hooked up to your JL for say 10 min... Now, try to start your JL. You will have to get battery(s) on maintainer/charger for a few hours... Hopefully, battery(s) are not shot..

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
From what I've read it sounds like the main battery may be toast. I've never experienced it but apparently these rigs won't run on alternator power alone (after a jump). The root cause could also be a loose connection (battery / alternator).
I second this theory. Factory batteries suck and even stock configuration has parasitic draw. Use of a battery tender really isnā€™t optional unless you drive a lot every day.

Sorry to hear this happened, OP. FCA should replace one/both batteries under warranty, but sounds like your day is ruined. šŸ˜”

OP
OP
PanamaJl

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies, im currently waiting for my power bank to charge and try again with it, if it doesnt work i have to wait until the owner of the restaurant arrives (1more hr)removes the chain so that another car can go in and jump start my car...if this fails too i will have to ride on a tow car back to the city (6hr drive on a car)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies, im currently waiting for my power bank to charge and try again with it, if it doesnt work i have to wait until the owner of the restaurant arrives (1more hr)removes the chain so that another car can go in and jump start my car...if this fails too i will have to ride on a tow car back to the city (6hr drive on a car)
More often then not a jump start unit/power pack will not do the deed... it might .. might get it started but...

You need to have a way (donor vehicle) to get more then enough juice to just start the JL, but also to get some juice also into the Main and Aux.. Power pack can't do this.... If no or not enough juice in batteries, JL will start but often not want to stay running..

So, don't give up and tow until you use donor...

Remember, donor running and leave it hooked up for at least 10 min. before trying to start your JL..

Also, even though you get it running and driveable, you need to get those batteries on a battery tender... get them fully charged as soon as feasible, as otherwise this issue will creep up on you again, soon.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Make sure the main battery negative cables are tight. Did you happen to remove the main battery positive terminal recently?

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the main battery negative cables are tight. Did you happen to remove the main battery positive terminal recently?
Im guessing your thinking is he possibly shorted that fuse coming off the PDC ?

I pulled all my connections to tidy up some cabling and always feel like a surgeon when reconnecting as Im concerned about shorting a fuse so I try to follow the rule of when disconnecting to remove the neg first then pos and when reconnecting just the opposite, not a guarantee but so far itā€™s worked out well

OP
OP
PanamaJl

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well i tried to jump start with another car and it didnt start, so i borrowed a battery and drove like 2 hr (4hrs total) to the closest place where i could buy a battery(only changed the main battery) all dash lights and problems are gone...what a relief!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well i tried to jump start with another car and it didnt start, so i borrowed a battery and drove like 2 hr (4hrs total) to the closest place where i could buy a battery(only changed the main battery) all dash lights and problems are gone...what a relief!
I would have the ESS battery checked, if itā€™s bad it could be pulling down the the main crank battery.

OP
OP
PanamaJl

PanamaJl

First Name
JeepJLPanama=IG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have the ESS battery checked, if itā€™s bad it could be pulling down the the main crank battery.
Yes i will be heading back to the city today, voltage is not normal so i will change the ESS battery on monday. Ive never had voltage so low...
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep wont start 42EE77DA-F9B5-4073-8C60-273C067A0299

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I missed this, but is there. Tutorial on how to hook all of this up? All of my stuff arrives Monday, and Iā€™d like to start using the Jscan to get my lights all set up.
Yes i will be heading back to the city today, voltage is not normal so i will change the ESS battery on monday. Ive never had voltage so low...
42EE77DA-F9B5-4073-8C60-273C067A0299.jpeg
Your Jeep is equipped with a smart charging system, the IBS monitors and directs what voltage is needed to keep the battery fully charged so if itā€™s a new battery then that would be normal, after itā€™s been parked for a day or so the running EVIC voltage displayed should be higher and the parasitic draw while the Jeep is off should pull the resting voltage down so once the IBS sees the lower voltage it will direct the alternator to regulate the charge to bring it back to fully charged.

A good test to ensure the IBS is working directly is to take it for a drive and watch the EVIC voltage display and as you let off the gas and or apply the brake you should see the voltage ramp up to over 14+ then once stopped drop down and the longer you drive it the lower it should get

Also I see by your dash display that the auto stop/start icon shows an issue so what is up with that, do you have it disabled ?

Heres a vid I did on a normal system

Sponsored

Last edited: