Thoughts about winches

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Talk to me about winches- looking at a simple Smittybilt Gen 2 XRC 9500 lbs. Didn’t have one on my previous Jeep and trying to decide if it’s a good investment. I don’t do any crazy wheeling or anything, mostly easy trails but hoping to get to some more moderate ones, still simple. I like the idea of having it as a just in case but curious about other experiences and things to know. Found one for a good price so... anyway thanks in advance! Always get good information on here!

27735BFF-32C5-4699-8052-6D3A712EE68A.jpeg
That’s the same winch I bought after loads of research. I haven’t used it yet, but when I do I’ll recover all of the money I spent by not having to find an off road recovery outfit.
Having a winch and not needing it is so much wiser than needing one and not having it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
That’s the same winch I bought after loads of research. I haven’t used it yet, but when I do I’ll recover all of the money I spent by not having to find an off road recovery outfit.
Having a winch and not needing it is so much wiser than needing one and not having it.
All installed and waiting should I need. Best option for me at this point. I am switching out the steel rope tonight for a synthetic one (have been waiting for the hawse fairlead to get delivered, which it is today) to take off some lbs.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a Smittybilt Gen 3 12K with synthetic rope that its sunk down into a LOD mid width bumper. It is a great setup. I have been driving 4X4 vehicles for a long time, I have had a few Warn M8000 winches and they were great I have also had many Smittybilt winches from 8K to 12K and have yet to experience a winch failure. I have had to replace cable that I have damaged but have never had a motor or switch failure.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
At great long last the winch is on and working! Switching out to synthetic when my hawse fairlead gets here! Thanks everyone for your help and tips!

ADCCDCF2-F96A-44B4-9DD8-D6CD7C677AF9.jpeg

82C30F65-95BE-4FC8-B1ED-2D52235E26C3.jpeg
When you do switch out the steel cable be sure to inspect your winch's cable drum for burrs caused by the steel cable that could abrade your new synthetic line. Thinking that you are okay since it is new and you haven't winched under a load yet, but I am recommending it nonetheless.

Sharp Willys BTW!

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Went snowcamping/exploring this past weekend in Loyalsock State Forest, PA.

Between me an my buddy in his Tacoma we got stuck in the snow/ice about 9 times, we yanked each other out about 7 of those times and needed the winch for 2.

Only one local company will tow you out of the snow and they start at $500 per recovery. So my winch paid for itself. Again.

...and we were on the forest roads, not trails.

20210227_150540.jpg

20210227_113543.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you do switch out the steel cable be sure to inspect your winch's cable drum for burrs caused by the steel cable that could abrade your new synthetic line. Thinking that you are okay since it is new and you haven't winched under a load yet, but I am recommending it nonetheless.

Sharp Willys BTW!
Yeah it was free and clear and clean since it was new, but appreciate the tip!

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
Yeah it was free and clear and clean since it was new, but appreciate the tip!
what synthetic cable did you use to replace the steel one? Looking at this setup and even with buying the synthetic price wise works for me

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what synthetic cable did you use to replace the steel one? Looking at this setup and even with buying the synthetic price wise works for me
I actually went with the synthetic rope from Harbor Freight. Was very reasonably priced and had a coupon!

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I actually went with the synthetic rope from Harbor Freight. Was very reasonably priced and had a coupon!
one more question lol why didn’t you go with the rough country? It already had the synthetic line?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
one more question lol why didn’t you go with the rough country? It already had the synthetic line?
or the 3rd gen XRC comp series. also comes with a synthetic line.

Smittybilt winches have a better reputation than rough country.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost did. Good price, good reviews... just more familiar with Smittybilt's reputation (I know a lot of people don't like the brand, just my personal preference) and spoke to some Jeepers who recommended that one over RC. I am sure it would have been fine for my use, just decided to go in this direction. With changing it out I still was able to save about $100-$200 (don't have the exact number) over going with the smittybilt synthetic. So I considered it a win :)

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
or the 3rd gen XRC comp series. also comes with a synthetic line.

Smittybilt winches have a better reputation than rough country.
Price- and didn't feel I needed all the features the new Gen had. Feel the XRC Gen 2 is a great winch for my needs and the synthetic swap took off some lbs and made this inexperienced wincher feel safer than the steel cable did.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
since my earlier post on sunday. i've done some research and figured i get a super winch. well i found out they are built overseas and parts are hard to find. super winch was built in conneticut. then was sold. i'm going to look at ramsey, but warn might be the brand i'm going with. how ever, i'm steering way from the models that are built in china. i'm looking at the m8000 or the 9 series winches. they are built in the usa and parts are readily available.
I have an M8000 on my JL that I previously used on my '04 TJ and have never regretted that purchase and not had a bit of trouble with it. I added a synthetic rope and it has been perfect for my use, even without much maintenance. For around $700-$750 total (winch + rope, got the hawse for free), it was a great investment.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I have an M8000 on my JL that I previously used on my '04 TJ and have never regretted that purchase and not had a bit of trouble with it. I added a synthetic rope and it has been perfect for my use, even without much maintenance. For around $700-$750 total (winch + rope, got the hawse for free), it was a great investment.
i've always liked the m series winches due to the size, reliability, and simplicity. the more you research and compare them to other winches, the m series by far seems to be the best choice. i am going with the syn line as well.
Sponsored