Sponsored

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
so I have a good question on this one. Got a brand new 2021 JLURD and supposedly the steering gearbox is the new one already.

no dead spots but an annoying right pull that literally changes lanes at 70mph plus.

from your technical background working on these things. What’s to troubleshoot here
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
Boss man, seems like you got this sorted out. I am getting already at the end of my rope. New Wrangler owner - first one. Purchased a JLURD 2021. took ownership and went on a road trip to el paso texas. right pull was annoying all the way through but thought it could have been road /wind. did 2 alignments at firestone in el paso on my own dime, minor toe adjustment. jeep is stock fyi. right pull remains strong.

took to the dealer.... depressing. "its normal", it operates within parameters, nothing we can do. check out the comments on the service receipt - I even wonder what did they actually do with it other than driving around.

So my question is - with your background and expertise, what should i ask the dealer to do/test from a technical background BEFORE i move to the mopar 2"lift kit LCA's and a steering stabilizer upgrade?

I'm in houston.... took my jeep where i bought it from - machaik - but likely taking elsewhere before i take the matter on my own as far as aftermarket fixes
Sponsored

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally took my 21 JLUR in for service (after waiting 2 weeks for my scheduled appointment). It was still pulling to the right even after deflating the tires as advised both on here and FB group.

They called me 3 hours later to confirm the steering pulling to the right and tell me that “the steering box is bad and will be replaced under warranty”

We’ll see what happens!

did they replace it? how did they determined it was bad? was it the old part number or did it really come with the new one? problem solved?

i have the exact same issue and im annoyed as hell. FCA is of no help and dealer call it normal. trying to find a light in the end of the tunnel to try to see if i can fix this annoying right pull

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
so I have a good question on this one. Got a brand new 2021 JLURD and supposedly the steering gearbox is the new one already.

no dead spots but an annoying right pull that literally changes lanes at 70mph plus.

from your technical background working on these things. What’s to troubleshoot here

Boss man, seems like you got this sorted out. I am getting already at the end of my rope. New Wrangler owner - first one. Purchased a JLURD 2021. took ownership and went on a road trip to el paso texas. right pull was annoying all the way through but thought it could have been road /wind. did 2 alignments at firestone in el paso on my own dime, minor toe adjustment. jeep is stock fyi. right pull remains strong.

took to the dealer.... depressing. "its normal", it operates within parameters, nothing we can do. check out the comments on the service receipt - I even wonder what did they actually do with it other than driving around.

So my question is - with your background and expertise, what should i ask the dealer to do/test from a technical background BEFORE i move to the mopar 2"lift kit LCA's and a steering stabilizer upgrade?

I'm in houston.... took my jeep where i bought it from - machaik - but likely taking elsewhere before i take the matter on my own as far as aftermarket fixes
I’d just get a set of adjustable lowers. JL’s love caster. If it is pulling that hard right I’d swap tires around and if that doesn’t correct I’d contact Jeep customer care. May be that they’d help authorize the longer mopar arms or something. They definitely helped me out. I actually got reimbursed 6 months payments on my 2021 Golden Eagle. Affectionately dubbed the “Golden Lemon”!

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d just get a set of adjustable lowers. JL’s love caster. If it is pulling that hard right I’d swap tires around and if that doesn’t correct I’d contact Jeep customer care. May be that they’d help authorize the longer mopar arms or something. They definitely helped me out. I actually got reimbursed 6 months payments on my 2021 Golden Eagle. Affectionately dubbed the “Golden Lemon”!

what was the issue related to your Jeep? I have been in touch with them but with the dealer stating this is normal and within alignment specs, I have not been able to get much done at this point from them. Very early stages, brand new rig - frustrated more than anything.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I will be bringing mine back to the dealer next week as it is pulling hard to the right after the steering box tsb. I literally can’t drive without hands on the steering wheel it it will put me quickly in the lane to the right.... super frustrating

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I just had mine replaced last weekend and the steering is MUCH heavier and stiffer...which I like but the wife might not. I do have all steer smarts everything up front and 37s but I was a little surprised how much stiffer it is. Probably should double check the filled up the power steering res.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I just had mine replaced last weekend and the steering is MUCH heavier and stiffer...which I like but the wife might not. I do have all steer smarts everything up front and 37s but I was a little surprised how much stiffer it is. Probably should double check the filled up the power steering res.
If you need to top it off make sure you use the electric power steering pump fluid and not the regular stuff....

Cudaconv

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Had TSB 08-074-20 installed today on my 2018 Rubicon Unlimited. I am happy to report the problem is gone. It now drives like I would expect a Jeep Wrangler to drive. It is not a sports car, but the dead spot is gone and it is much easier to drive straight down the road.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth, I had a right hand pull and adjusted my passenger side lower control arm 'one turn' longer than the driver side and it drives so straight now I can go a 1/4 mile
without steering input.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
For what it's worth, I had a right hand pull and adjusted my passenger side lower control arm 'one turn' longer than the driver side and it drives so straight now I can go a 1/4 mile
without steering input.
That's what my 4x4 shop recommended to help counter the pull from road camber. I'm surprised that you don't see it suggested more often on this forum.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
That's what my 4x4 shop recommended to help counter the pull from road camber. I'm surprised that you don't see it suggested more often on this forum.
The problem with that is cross caster is built into the axle. To add more you need to force the axle to twist, that puts the control arms and bushings in a bind and will eventually cause them to wear out. Most places tell you to center and square the axle using the lower arms, set the caster and adjust the driver’s side arm so the bolt will slide in easily. Then adjust the passenger arm so the bolt will slide in easily.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with that is cross caster is built into the axle. To add more you need to force the axle to twist, that puts the control arms and bushings in a bind and will eventually cause them to wear out. Most places tell you to center and square the axle using the lower arms, set the caster and adjust the driver’s side arm so the bolt will slide in easily. Then adjust the passenger arm so the bolt will slide in easily.
Yeah, I've heard that as well. It's only about 1/8'' longer and was suggested by my local 4x4 shop so it seems like it's something they do regularly...

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
man, i was at 5.2 caster on both wheels with stock everything. then i got the venomrex wheels and dick cepek 35 12.5 17 tires. the right pull that was there all stock on my JLURD was on steroids.
today i missed the chance to measure the before caster. but they swaped my lca's with the mopar 2" lift kit ones.

stock suspension
35x12.5x17 wheels/tires
mopar 2" lift kit LCA's

now my caster is 5.4 left, 5.2 right
camber 0 on the left, -1 on the right
toe was adjusted 0.10 left and right

and the bloody right pull is there.

so all and all, with the stock suspension but adding the 35 tires, seems i need adjustable arms in order to bring the caster to the 6 range..... not sure if anyone has experienced this before. frustrating. but onto the next purchase... i guess!

BriKan

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Thought I'd finally update mine, can't find my original reply on my steering issues.
2019 Sahara 2.0T
Bought @ 22k miles and now @ 30K miles.
Completely stock suspension, tires, and everything else

Had horrible steering issues when I picked up used last October. There was 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel. Jeep would pull to one side regardless of the alignment I had the dealer do when I bought it. Had to constantly over correct, especially on the highway and as the day and Jeep warmed up more.
After reading thru 1000 some posts, I took the TSB back to the dealer in November. Parts were ordered and came in mid-December.
Dealer replaced steering box, steering gear, and re-flashed the software under warranty.
While much, much better, something still felt wrong with the steering. I kept getting the "It's a Jeep thing" , from the dealer when I called back. Lasted that way up until this week when it finally started to warm up here and I finally got to pay a little attention to what I was looking at. While I'm not a mechanic in any way, I can problem solve as good as any 6th grader. After talking to someone else on another page, I went back to the basics and actually really checked the PSI on all 4 tires. At 70* plus I was running the 42-43 PSI the dealer had over inflated them to once the tires warmed up after an hour. Dropped them back to 35 PSI cold putting me around 37 once they warm up.
The difference is night and day. I don't feel like I'm riding on a kick ball anymore. There's maybe less than 1/2 an inch of play in the steering wheel now and it doesn't pull hard to either side of the road anymore. Hugest improvement was letting the air out of tires. The steering wheel is still off center about 3-5 degrees to the right on straight roads but I can have the dealer correct when I'm in for my next oil change this week. Took me 6 moths and a slap on the head for not looking at the most basic thing but it's finally enjoyable to drive now. Good luck to everyone else having this issue!

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I recently had my steering box replaced as well and while it did seem to help with the dead spot and wandering I still feel something is off. The steering is way tighter now. Maybe even too tight? I can really feel some resistance when making turns. Anyways the dealership over filled my tires at around 42 PSI as well and I dropped them to 36 cold. It did improve hitting small bumps in the road and less bounce but I guess i'll have to deal with the steering. Can't quite place what's wrong unfortunately.
Sponsored