Sponsored

Rubicon Owners, have you waterproofed your Sway Bar connector?

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've been having issues with my JKU recently. Huge issues: every dash light on, wouldn't start, etc. Thought it was TIPM, replaced, etc. Disconnected the sway bar last night and discovered the sway bar connector to be full of water. This gave me a full-on panic attack because I'm days away from delivery. Luckily, I fixed it. After some research, this affects ALL Chrysler vehicles with sway bar disconnect (powerwagon, jeep). And Jeep doesn't care.

My delivery is inching closer and closer. I really want to avoid this issue in the future. Has anyone waterproofed the connector? People were wrapping plastic around it but there has to be a better option. For the curious:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Owners, have you waterproofed your Sway Bar connector? a8b2a0d9-d62c-4da5-a23e-cb31694bf238
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Nope. I have had mine since March 2020, no issues. Been on trails, through water holes, rain storms and snow. No issues thus far.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ll have to check. Seems like it’d be a fairly easy thing to do. Wrap the connector in plastic wrap, cover it with heat shrink should work. Heck, even some tightly wrapped electrical tape seems like it might work. I haven’t looked it it. Does this seem feasible?

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I have had mine since March 2020, no issues. Been on trails, through water holes, rain storms and snow. No issues thus far.
Have you taken the electrical connector off to check if there is water?

I’ll have to check. Seems like it’d be a fairly easy thing to do. Wrap the connector in plastic wrap, cover it with heat shrink should work. Heck, even some tightly wrapped electrical tape seems like it might work. I haven’t looked it it. Does this seem feasible?
Maybe, I was thinking of the spray on electrical tape.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
OK, I looked at some photos of the connector. It’s bigger than I imagined it, the plastic wrap/heat shrink solution that I envisioned in my head isn’t feasible I don’t think.

Would the liquid tape be really difficult to remove if necessary?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I looked at some photos of the connector. It’s bigger than I imagined it, the plastic wrap/heat shrink solution that I envisioned in my head isn’t feasible I don’t think.

Would the liquid tape be really difficult to remove if necessary?
Never tried to remove it. But yeah, I can see it potentionally being hard to remove

Ibshake

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Does this affect all 2021 rubicons as well? Or did they make a replacement part

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yall little silicone around the outter edge and plug it back in.... or some non conductive grease to repeal the water would work. OOOOOORRRR. ditch the dumb disconnect and get a normal sway bar and quick connects...

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dielectric grease for sure - I have lots of that for my boat ;) the X-Treme Tape looks like it may work, but it may be hard to apply.

Mine took 4 years to start. I got a random blinking sway bar light. Now, the entire thing is trashed. Definitely not under warranty.

Following because the one on my JK is toast. Has been for years.
Pull off the connector and take a look. Let us know what you see.

Does this affect all 2021 rubicons as well? Or did they make a replacement part
I don't know yet, do you have yours? Mine is scheduled for delivery soon in the next 1-2 weeks hopefully. Based on this (https://www.thedrive.com/news/33208...rams-can-disconnect-at-highway-speeds-lawsuit) it is affected until 2020 but this article was posted in April 2020.

I can say it's safe to assume, no, they didn't come up with a better solution.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Why not under warranty? I have extended warranty to cover me well beyond the standard warranty. If I feel motivated one day, I will research how to remove the connector.
Sponsored