Sponsored

Has anybody ever regretted buying a Wrangler?

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I feel guilty at times, for the price tag. It sits in the garage a lot, work from home thing.

But when I drive it, especially those times I get to hit the trails, that all disappears. Trail riding is a happy place for me, and the Jeep belongs on them. It was made for it.

Regret not trail riding enough.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I have.

I owned a 2018 JKUR Recon: it was it was grossly overpriced, highly overrated, poorly built, drove like crap, and had the dealer service to match.

Following a heated argument with the Service Manager, who after three dealer visits still refused to fix a squeaky driver seat and a loud rattle coming from the A-pillar, I drove across the street to the Toyota dealer and dumped that Rubicon’s ass, with only 8,000 miles, in exchange for a new Tacoma TRD Offroad.

After six months I missed owning a Wrangler so much I sold the Tacoma and bought my current JL Sahara.

For 2 years I stopped going to my local Jeep dealer. I was back recently and was glad to find out they finally fired that Manager’s ass...after pissing off countless other customers —and dealer staff.

Thankfully, this JL has been trouble free. I just wish I could block off my mind ever buying that f&#$ing JKUR Recon.
I love your story a lot. I have a similar with camera lenses. It can't be compared in terms of money, but the final is the same.

Redbullf189

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Sting-Gray
I regret not buying one sooner. Back in Sept 2020, I was shopping for a new ride because my Subaru Outback was having major transmission issues (CVT's are junk). Went to a Jeep dealer, and they did not have much stock in my budget at the time, so I decided to go for a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek, as the Subaru dealer cut me a deal to get out of the Outback.

Fast forward to a week ago, I traded in the Crosstrek with 2k miles on it for a 2021 Willys Sport because every time I saw a Jeep on the road, I wished I went that route to begin with. Yea my payments went up with the Jeep (had buyers remorse the day after), but now, I couldn't be happier with my JL.

OP
OP
TPS

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I regret not buying one sooner. Back in Sept 2020, I was shopping for a new ride because my Subaru Outback was having major transmission issues (CVT's are junk). Went to a Jeep dealer, and they did not have much stock in my budget at the time, so I decided to go for a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek, as the Subaru dealer cut me a deal to get out of the Outback.

Fast forward to a week ago, I traded in the Crosstrek with 2k miles on it for a 2021 Willys Sport because every time I saw a Jeep on the road, I wished I went that route to begin with. Yea my payments went up with the Jeep (had buyers remorse the day after), but now, I couldn't be happier with my JL.
I used to drive Subaru. Got two: MY2006 and MY 2010. I sold H6 2010 with luxury trim because I discovered it was too loud compared to other station wagons. That is why I bought Buick Regal.

If you are happy with your Willys Sport after owning Subaru, I think I will be happy with my coming Sahara JL.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Only wish is the 2dr had a bigger gas tank, other than that it's all good!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I know many people who love stock Wranglers for their primary vehicle. They either love them and keep them or trade it in after 1 or 2-years because they get frustrated it does not drive and handle like a luxury/sport SUV. It is a fairly polar response. You either end up loving it or hating it. It would not be my choice as a commuter vehicle.
My wife daily drives our lifted 2019 jlur on 37" geolander x-mt's and loves it. With the 2.0t it's still sporty enough to be fun to drive on the street even with stock gears. Maybe some people carry a purse that's heavier than hers or wear shorter skirts than she does? It's hilarious when so many say a Wrangler, especially modded, can't be a daily. The hardest part about owning our jeep is walking past it every morning and climbing into my work van instead of going on an adventure.

Last edited:

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I suppose there are people that regret it. I mean, there's always people that end up regretting all kinds of things. I think regret happens when you don't take time to research and really know what you want. Regret usually happens from impulse decisions IMO.

A vehicle is a big purchase. Take your time, test drive as many times as you need to get comfortable, do research here, watch you tube videos....just do all you can to gather as much information as possible so you can figure out what you really want.

For me, I had admired Jeeps from a distance for a number of years. But I was always driving family vehicles with third row seating because they were more practical. Well, my kids finally got older and I decided the time was right to get a vehicle I really wanted for a change. I've only had mine for about 6 months but no regrets so far. I've had more fun driving these past 6 months than I've probably had since I first got my license. I mean, I actually look forward to getting in my Jeep to drive anywhere.

A Jeep is definitely a different kind of vehicle. Just make sure you really want it and you'll have no regrets.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
This doesn’t seem to apply to you, but might to someone else reading this thread. Don’t buy if you can’t also afford to fix/modify. It will drive you nuts. Nobody should gamble offroad with a daily driver if they can’t afford the repair bill.
I had life happen and can’t afford things for a few months so it is driving me crazy. There is a possibility I won’t be able to afford anything for another year or two depending on how things go. That will make me sad. At one point I thought I should just sell it rather than get upset each time I saw it.

Sponsored

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT

The Crosstrek can be had with a manual transmission, although mated to the lower power engine (c'mon Subaru). I agree regarding the junk CVT... in the end you made the right choice.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I am not going to modify it. There are many reasons. In Poland there is a culture of mud and we miss real rocks. As I have nothing against dirt roads, I do not understand the idea of going through deep puddles of mud in a car.

Lifting the Wrangler just for pure bad look is another thing I am not willing to do. Here in Poland (the whole EU) it is illegal to have metal bumpers. Protruding tires are also problematic. I know how hard it is to get a proper vehicle inspection for my Mustang (real PITA). I needed to change blinkers from red to orange, change headlamps to asimetric and installed fog red light. Fortunately, I did not spoiled the look.

So, I am going to keep Sahara fairly stock.
I have a 23 year old TJ that was never modified. It still outperforms modified Toyotas off-road. You will be amazed at what a stock Jeep can do. Skill and experience are more important offroad than lift kits and oversized tires.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
It is deff a love/hate relationship with me. I love having a Wrangler, i love offroading my Wrangler and i love having the top and doors off in the warm weather. My one regret with buying a JL is the Manual Transmission. Looking back now i would have got the automatic.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
My 2 door is my only vehicle and daily driver. It’s also my first wrangler and don’t regret the purchase at all. Sure it’s different on the highway, but you get used to it really fast. Don’t expect to drive it at 160km/h but it will be more than fine at 120/130km - it depends a lot on the quality of the road and weather. You definitely don’t need to take the back road for the trip, just don’t go faster than what feels safe to.
When summertime comes, it’s the absolute best, nothing beats a good topless beach drive!

Reactions: TPS

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Tons of people regret it. They buy one cause it looks cool. Put the obligatory lift, 20” wheels, winch and angry grill on it. Then they realize it doesn't drive like their BMW. Get on the forums and facebook pages and bitch and complain about it, get butt hurt and threaten to buy a Bronco. Then again equally tons of people love their jeep with all its issues or non at all and constant money siphon for parts.

You either like it or you dont. No shame in either.
This, 100%. I see it so often. They think because the price is high it's a comfortable ride. Nope. Not at all! I love my Jeep. Sometimes I hate the quality. My JK just died on me because of the sway bar being filled with water. And apparently, I'll have this issue in my new JLU, sigh. Oh and both left and right head on my JK has been replaced, one at 96k miles and one at 126k miles. I can't wait to get rid of it. But every time I drive it, I can't deny how much I love driving it.
Sponsored