Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I was under the Jeep tonight checking my suspension bolts and noticed a damp oil pan. Traced it up, and there's an oil leak coming down the driver's side of the engine. Can't trace it up too high, but I can see it is from above the oil pan somewhere. 6540 miles on the Jeep. Oil was low too when I checked. Great...

Looking pretty much straight up driver's side of oil pan. Damp bolts and whole side of case.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side IMG_20210206_172833

Looking forward from behind front driver's wheel. Center of photo (where it's getting dark) you can see the damp bolts and pan.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side IMG_20210206_172922

From just above front track bar on driver's side looking towards back (gold track bar in foreground). Everything on that side is damp, but can't see a source from below or above.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side IMG_20210206_172952
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Standard warranty response...”we’ll have your parts in 6 months because you’re less important than new sales.” The only question left to ask is whether your time and associated money are worth enough to lawyer up. FCA has no leg to stand on in court with such timeframes when they’re making at least 100 new 3.0 JLUs in Toledo every day.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
No oil on the dipstick. We'll see what the dealer says Monday. Unfortunately this is our only vehicle except the motorcycles. Warm winter but still a little cold & sketchy, especially to take to client meetings... or skiing.

Looked closer after dinner & I'd guess head gasket. Guessing dealer will replace that & not bother checking anything else. And that'll take 3 months.

Close friend has been fighting Jeep & dealers over his '17 JKUR Recon trans & tcase for over a year now. Still no resolution. I went through some heartache with teething issues in my previous '18 WK2 diesel but nothing related to the drivetrain (I guess both wheel hubs at less than 40k were one issue & those might be considered drivetrain). I'm well versed in Jeep's priorities.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Thanks for the link. I remember reading it when you posted and I commented a couple times. Tried searching for it last night but guess I didn't look back far enough.

Any issues since replacement? What's your mileage now?

I have yet to find any dealer worth a damn in Utah, and really not looking forward to dealing with them tomorrow. I know it will be a fight to get a loaner but my wife & I share the JL as our only vehicle now so we need something. No option to park and wait, as much as I'd prefer it "resting" in our garage than on a dealer's back lot.

I'd take a Grand with nail clippings over several of our Enterprise rentals this summer. One had ammunition rolling around the rear cup holders, one had kids snacks mashed into all but the driver's seat, one smelled like baby diarrhea & vommit, one was full of pine bark & needles, etc.

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only put about 1000 miles on it since the engine swap. It's been running strong, and I haven't seen any leaks. That's all fine and good, but I wish I could get the value back that I lost.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Service writer just called and said it was leaking from the timing chain cover. Replacing that, some gaskets, the three injectors on that side, and associated plumbing. Three of the parts are on indefinite backorder. All warranty work (as it should be). At least we were provided with an AWD Subaru loaner. No miles added to the Jeep for the time being I guess.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?! No engine swap?! You got cheated, broski. I mean, who *doesn't* want a needless engine replacement on a brand new vehicle and the subsequent loss in value? Cheated, I say! CHEATED!

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Do you think there was a loss in value of your Jeep because of the engine replacement?

Who knows how long I drove mine low on oil before I noticed. Hopefully there aren't any long term issues that come up after the Jeep is out of warranty due to this.

I don't know the tech, so who's to say they reassemble it correctly? Did they inspect all of the cylinder bores and pistons? Piston rings? Crankshaft bearings? I'll always have that in the back of my head. Not exactly the same, but I had lingering issues and ultimately failure of my XJ 4.0 after an oil leak that was "repaired correctly."

Crapshoot I guess. Maybe you and I should play the lottery since we hit this anomaly. :fingerscrossed: Oh wait, I'm in Utah...

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure I did. If all else was equal when purchasing a used vehicle, would you go for the one with the original motor, or the one with a replacement at 3500 miles?

I admit, I'm pretty jaded now. It just was a knee-jerk reaction that really warranted more research first. But I'm not trying to make this thread about my experience! This thread is about your situation, not mine! I sincerely hope you have a much better outcome and experience than I did. All of my cynicism aside, I just wanted to share the info I had with you so you could go into it a bit better informed. :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Intent fully understood and appreciated. :like:

I too feel jaded and burned by the brand. If I felt another vehicle could take me the places I go, I'd have moved on long ago. The new Bronco is awfully tempting. But grandpa had a Jeep, dad has had several (just picked up a Gladiator Mojave last week to replace his 400k mile WJ), and I'm now on 10 or 11. Wait, that makes it seem like I have a problem...

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
Intent fully understood and appreciated. :like:

I too feel jaded and burned by the brand. If I felt another vehicle could take me the places I go, I'd have moved on long ago. The new Bronco is awfully tempting. But grandpa had a Jeep, dad has had several (just picked up a Gladiator Mojave last week to replace his 400k mile WJ), and I'm now on 10 or 11. Wait, that makes it seem like I have a problem...
Here is mine with 3500 on the odometer. Mine is in the passenger side. Going to dealer in morning.

8D270864-60A3-4721-8998-9C42733A0A44.jpeg

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Here is mine with 3500 on the odometer. Mine is in the passenger side. Going to dealer in morning.
That sucks. Looks quite familiar, but other side of the engine from my and @MCJA leaks.

Any word from your dealer about the source?

Last update I had was last Monday, February 22. Service writer called to say their parts distributor wouldn't have parts or update until March 1 at earliest but no updates since. Today is day 23 at the dealer, 24 without my vehicle.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
That sucks. Looks quite familiar, but other side of the engine from my and @MCJA leaks.

Any word from your dealer about the source?

Last update I had was last Monday, February 22. Service writer called to say their parts distributor wouldn't have parts or update until March 1 at earliest but no updates since. Today is day 23 at the dealer, 24 without my vehicle.
Yes. Dealer said it was the oil line going to the turbo was loose. He tightened it and cleaned it up and told me to keep an eye on it for any future leaks.

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’ve got a small leak on mine too. It’s above the oil pan so who knows. I know I have 5400 miles and oil barely touches the bottom of the dip
stick
Sponsored