OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Whole thing seems dumb to me, made sense when there were a few thousand around, and shared misery of actually driving an older Wrangler granted you membership in a small club. But these days Jeep sells 200,000-250,000 thousand Wranglers a year. May as well wave to everyone in an acrod too.
Gotta disagree with you there. Just owning a Jeep you do share some kind of comradery with other Jeep owners that non-Jeep owners would never understand. Like wakening up and wondering if this is a top down or top up day. Or walking to your vehicle and pondering if you should take your doors off or not. You see another Jeep driver and you instantly knew they share those same thoughts and dilemmas with you..... Do you thing Lexus drivers do this also. Think about it this way: Lets say you have the only Jeep to your knowledge in your state or country, then one day you pass by someone driving the same vehicle as you....
Sponsored

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Think about it this way: Lets say you have the only Jeep to your knowledge in your state or country, then one day you pass by someone driving the same vehicle as you....
Yeah, except there are tens of thousands of other Jeeps in the state. I can't go 5 miles without seeing one.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
ya you should see me waving to built rubicon’s in my wife’s grand Cherokee.. they do a double check and roll there eyes!!! I just get so in the habit and forget I am in the kid wagon

So I'm noticing a definite double standard in the waves when driving my 2 JLs. My punkin Jeep is pretty well modified with Wheels, 35" tires, 2.5 lift and Halo headlights. When I drive this my hand gets tired due to the amount of waves I get, and not wanting to leave anyone out. People go out of their way to overtly wave when I'm in this thing. However, I've had had my Nacho JLU for little more than a week, and it's still pretty stock. When I drive this one it's like I don't exist. Waves that I received are down 90%. I can even initiate the wav and people just blow right by me as if I'm not there..lol

IMG_20200608_115042.jpg

IMG_20210119_123506.jpg

pitboy68

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT
ya you should see me waving to built rubicon’s in my wife’s grand Cherokee.. they do a double check and roll there eyes!!! I just get so in the habit and forget I am in the kid wagon
I actually laughed out loud at that one. Could really picture it. 🤣

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, except there are tens of thousands of other Jeeps in the state. I can't go 5 miles without seeing one.
That's weird. I live in California (the State with the most vehicles in the US-by far) and often go days and days without seeing a single Wrangler, let alone another JL. Don't get me wrong, every now and then I can't swing a cat without hitting a Jeep, but to say there are so many on the road that I can't spare a wave would feel odd. I guess it is the luck of the draw and personal attitude.

As such, when I ride my Indian or Harley, I throw a wave to every biker-regardless. It's about the state of mind and acknowledging a similar lifestyle.

Just my .02. Keep the change.

Sponsored

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Here in Colorado it's CRAZY how many Wranglers (and other Jeeps) are on the road. Can't make it out of my neighborhood without seeing a handful of Wranglers, and just on typical <10mile trips like picking the kiddos up from school, there's easily double digits seen.
That's weird. I live in California (the State with the most vehicles in the US-by far) and often go days and days without seeing a single Wrangler, let alone another JL. Don't get me wrong, every now and then I can't swing a cat without hitting a Jeep, but to say there are so many on the road that I can't spare a wave would feel odd. I guess it is the luck of the draw and personal attitude.

As such, when I ride my Indian or Harley, I throw a wave to every biker-regardless. It's about the state of mind and acknowledging a similar lifestyle.

Just my .02. Keep the change.
yeah, but everybody there in Cali drives teslas, or rice burners with high spoilers and ground effect lighting... can't go a mile in Colorado without seeing a handful of suped up Rubis (and a dozen Subaru Outbacks).

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
If you feel like you're in an exclusive club it makes sense. I certainly don't in a Wrangler.

Even riding a bike I've noticed a decline in waving to the point where most that I see only wave to the same type (sport, touring, adv, cruiser, etc). I don't bother with Harley guys anymore, they are in the same boat as scooters as far as I'm concerned. And I won't wave to people without gear no mater what they ride, which is most Harley guys anyway.

pitboy68

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT
Here in Colorado it's CRAZY how many Wranglers (and other Jeeps) are on the road. Can't make it out of my neighborhood without seeing a handful of Wranglers, and just on typical <10mile trips like picking the kiddos up from school, there's easily double digits seen.

yeah, but everybody there in Cali drives teslas, or rice burners with high spoilers and ground effect lighting... can't go a mile in Colorado without seeing a handful of suped up Rubis (and a dozen Subaru Outbacks).
I'll say that when I lived in So Cal I still saw a decent number of Wranglers on the road. Most of them were unmodified but every once in a while you see a heep, lol.

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If I'm bored while driving I'll sometimes try to hold my breath until I pass another Wrangler and I almost never pass out.

There are so many Wranglers. I read somewhere once that, depending on your math, the Jeep brand by itself was worth more than the whole of Chrysler. At least before it merged with Fiat.

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We’ve owned our JLUR for about 8 months now. First Wrangler we’ve ever owned. The Jeep Wave phenomenon was new to us and it’s been interesting to learn the dynamic of when you’ll get a wave from a fellow wrangler and when you won’t. These have been my observations:

Key note: We live in Phoenix AZ and there is a fair mix of everything when it comes to vehicle type on the road. Our Jeep is moderately modified (check profile pic).

Getting a wave usually depends on the following factors:
Is the Jeep modified?
Is your Jeep modified?
Is the Jeep a newer model or older model?
Is traffic light, moderate, or heavy?
How many lanes away?
What is the approx age of the driver?

For example:
If the passing Jeep is modified (lift+tires etc) we almost always get a wave regardless of driver, Jeep age, unless it’s on the highway or many lanes away with moderate to heavy traffic.
If the passing Jeep is not modified then we usually only get a wave if the driver is younger (<30) and in the adjacent lane with limited traffic.
If in Sedona, Az (kind of a Jeep haven) I find that many Jeeps don’t wave simply because you would never stop waving. There’s Jeeps everywhere.

In the end I think it comes down to the sharing of a common interest. People who purchase a wrangler with the intent to modify/personalize it tend to appreciate and acknowledge others that have done the same and therefore wave.

Sponsored

Ingram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I've been driving Wranglers since my TJ in 2001. I would definitely say the return waves have gone down since then. For me it seems like the 35+ crowd returns waves. I don't even bother waving at White Wranglers with painted fenders anymore, they never wave back.

gweber

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
That's funny I have said before girls in white Jeeps don't wave

Dancer93

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2021 Islander
I just joined the Jeep family last week and was clueless about the Jeep wave. Not "Clueless" I had heard about it briefly before at some point in time but I didn't think it was a big thing. My first day on the road there were a ton of Wranglers and I saw like 2 waves before I realized what they were doing, (sorry for ignoring y'all out of ignorance!). But once I caught on and was looking out for it I had the privilege of waving back to about 4. It definitely made me smile!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It’s all about ROI for the amount of energy spent doing it.

Generally speaking, I don’t initiate a wave to stock Wranglers because 90% of them don’t wave back. Just waste of emotions.

If someone in a stock Wrangler waves at me I’ll return a wave.

100% of TJ and older Jeep’s never wave back. Usually they are some grumpy old man that would rather give you a one-finger wave or some college kid who just got their first car and busy doing crack or whatever they do in there to notice.

I also don’t wave at any Wranglers when I’m in Richmond, BC. But I’ll wave at every Wrangler on the road when I’m out of the city though.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I drive a lifted rubicon, yesterday taking my son to baseball practive, i saw a totally over the top built grand cherokee, out of respect i had to wave.. dudes face exploded into a smile.. We must stop this double standard, all jeeps are created equal!!!! unless you get one of the little ones, then you should just waive at other granola eaters.
Sponsored