Sponsored

Overlanding without a roof rack, exterior storage or seat delete? Sky OneTouch top challenge

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Alrighty, here's the question - do you think it's feasible to go overlanding/camping for 3 days in a JLUR with my wife and dog, without requiring a seat delete or exterior cargo rack?

Why, you might ask - well, I have the Sky OneTouch Top (which I like for the convenience and open-air feel), so a rhino rack backbone is out of the question as it's not made for it. I also don't particularly like the look of the Gobi exoskeleton racks when I'm not loaded up.

I can't do the Goose Gear seat delete because I use the rear seats in my JL regularly when not camping. Seats will likely be up when camping as the dog needs a place to sit

I am trying to pack as "space efficiently" as possible so have a ton of packaging gear on order - AAL setup with fridge slider, drawers, cargo shelf and underfloor compressor storage. I can't really test the fitment until everything comes in, which could be a while. That's why I'm looking for advice here.

Will I be able to fit everything needed? Am I just screwed and will end up either switching to a regular hard top or an exo rack?

Tent is a Gazelle T3X, for reference.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The gazelle website says the T3 is 57” collapsed so I think you’ll need to fold down the small side seat to get it to fit. We also have a rear shelf and when we packed for 10 days we removed the rear seats and put in a platform. We were still packed floor to ceiling from the tailgate to the back door opening and window height where the back seat would have been. You may be able to fit everything you need but I think it will be tight. A hitch mounted cargo basket may be useful.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The gazelle website says the T3 is 57” collapsed so I think you’ll need to fold down the small side seat to get it to fit. We also have a rear shelf and when we packed for 10 days we removed the rear seats and put in a platform. We were still packed floor to ceiling from the tailgate to the back door opening and window height where the back seat would have been. You may be able to fit everything you need but I think it will be tight. A hitch mounted cargo basket may be useful.
I actually think the T3 can be put on the cargo shelf. Just pop the side windows out and slide it in across. Reinstall the side window. I think it’s wide enough there to work.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
jkloud hammock if you don't weigh too much together,,,
or on youtube there's a video where someone uses thule rack which works with one touch roof he had.
that is a cool hammock, though I don’t think it would work for me and the wife together.
I’m trying to not have anything on the exterior if possible.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Seems the roof racks, at least the Rhino Racks, load capacity off road is in question lately anyway. I was one click away and then started researching, also watching Ronny Dahl, and with a full Pioneer rack, the off road rating would be in the ballpark of Maxtrax only. :headbang: For that much money.... I’ll hook up a trailer I guess.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Seems the roof racks, at least the Rhino Racks, load capacity off road is in question lately anyway. I was one click away and then started researching, also watching Ronny Dahl, and with a full Pioneer rack, the off road rating would be in the ballpark of Maxtrax only. :headbang: For that much money.... I’ll hook up a trailer I guess.
Good info. Seems the off-road rating for the rhino rack with the backbone (for the hardtop) is 190lbs. The Gobi seems to hold at 300. Neither of which I really want.

I did see another post where someone put the T3X Gazelle tent across the floorboard in front of the rear seat. That would work. So then it’s just fitting everything else in the back

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Good info. Seems the off-road rating for the rhino rack with the backbone (for the hardtop) is 190lbs. The Gobi seems to hold at 300. Neither of which I really want.

I did see another post where someone put the T3X Gazelle tent across the floorboard in front of the rear seat. That would work. So then it’s just fitting everything else in the back
Could you share your source for the load capacity for the hardtop?

To calculate that in the equation, there’s no manufacturer recommended load capacity for the hardtop that I could find so I used the one source when searching for that. That site said 150lbs but that’s unofficial. The guy could be clueless but I used that since it sounds relatively conservative. Using that number, I could carry some Maxtrax only when you subtract the weight of the Pioneer rack from the capacity.

Now, the backbone system would seem to logically transfer SOME of the weight to the tub in the rear. Am I forgetting other sport bar attached bracketry that transfers load? In the rear, I think those brackets would transfer some weight, increasing load capacity in dynamic and dynamic off road situations.

If you’re right then 190 is probably more than I’d ideally want to carry. There are some RTT’s that are light and static load capacity might be sufficient but maybe it’s borderline.

Anyway, it’s definitely something to consider. I might be way off on my number but for 1100-1500, that’s no small amount of money to carry recovery boards and maybe a couple of other things.

For my 2 boards, I’m moving them inside and bought a Rightline Gear storage bag for $60 and will try to wedge mount them in the V created by the sport bar and the roofline. Fingers crossed.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fellow CT Jeeper. I just got the same Gazelle tent and am also working on getting all the camp gear to fit in my JLU, I did get a Vector Offroad Highland shelf for the back of mine which helps with space.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Could you share your source for the load capacity for the hardtop?

To calculate that in the equation, there’s no manufacturer recommended load capacity for the hardtop that I could find so I used the one source when searching for that. That site said 150lbs but that’s unofficial. The guy could be clueless but I used that since it sounds relatively conservative. Using that number, I could carry some Maxtrax only when you subtract the weight of the Pioneer rack from the capacity.

Now, the backbone system would seem to logically transfer SOME of the weight to the tub in the rear. Am I forgetting other sport bar attached bracketry that transfers load? In the rear, I think those brackets would transfer some weight, increasing load capacity in dynamic and dynamic off road situations.

If you’re right then 190 is probably more than I’d ideally want to carry. There are some RTT’s that are light and static load capacity might be sufficient but maybe it’s borderline.

Anyway, it’s definitely something to consider. I might be way off on my number but for 1100-1500, that’s no small amount of money to carry recovery boards and maybe a couple of other things.

For my 2 boards, I’m moving them inside and bought a Rightline Gear storage bag for $60 and will try to wedge mount them in the V created by the sport bar and the roofline. Fingers crossed.
Apology, my numbers were slightly off. I was recalling them from memory.

According to this: https://www.rhinoadventuregear.com/...-jl-4dr-hardtop-3-base?variant=29382775603318

the off-road capacity is 130lbs dynamic, 190lbs dynamic on-road.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Apology, my numbers were slightly off. I was recalling them from memory.

According to this: https://www.rhinoadventuregear.com/...-jl-4dr-hardtop-3-base?variant=29382775603318

the off-road capacity is 130lbs dynamic, 190lbs dynamic on-road.
Thanks! I swear I looked on their page a week or two ago and couldn’t find this. I probably overlooked it or they updated their product information due to the Ronny Dahl findings.

138lbs isn’t a whole lot. You have to take the weight of the rack itself off that number so it’s even less is my understanding. Right?

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Thanks! I swear I looked on their page a week or two ago and couldn’t find this. I probably overlooked it or they updated their product information due to the Ronny Dahl findings.

138lbs isn’t a whole lot. You have to take the weight of the rack itself off that number so it’s even less is my understanding. Right?
I believe their intent with that number is illustrating the weight including the rack.

Further up in the doc, in the text, it actually lists it as having a 265lbs load capacity including the weight of the platform. I think this is a typo, and believe the 130lbs to be correct.

Agreed - this is still low. The Gobi rack, for comparison, is a full 300lbs on top off-road.

My son just ordered the pioneer platform for his jeep and is calling them today to clarify the load ratings.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Ronny Dahls issues were on a Tacoma, totally different mounting design (on the Tacoma it mounts to the roof with rivets through sheet metal) than the JL. While I think his video is informative comparing the two is apples and oranges.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Ronny Dahls issues were on a Tacoma, totally different mounting design (on the Tacoma it mounts to the roof with rivets through sheet metal) than the JL. While I think his video is informative comparing the two is apples and oranges.
I’m aware but my point was most are unaware there’s an “off road” dynamic load rating.... that you need to subtract the weight of the rack itself.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I’m aware but my point was most are unaware there’s an “off road” dynamic load rating.... that you need to subtract the weight of the rack itself.
I think Rhino Rack already takes the rack weight into account as the exact same mounting system using the cross bars has advertised capacity of:

• On Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 219 lbs
  • Off Road Dynamic Load Capacity: 174 lbs
  • Static Load Capacity: 748 lbs

Of course the math doesn't add up to the weight difference between the two, and the differences aren't even consistent between the different capacity numbers, but I just don't see a way that the cross bars can hold more than the rack if the weight difference isn't already factored in. I know I'm going to plop a 140 lb RTT on my Pioneer platform and wheel the shit out of it, we'll see how it goes. There are others running heavier loads on the pioneer for years now without issues.
Sponsored