Sponsored

2.0T Only has ONE battery?

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Page 234 is a good place to start.

Let me guess... you looked up battery and gave up.

A0A9BE4D-B2B5-4A08-84C3-AD6C71F39BC9.jpeg
It's on page 169 of my owner's manual, but...

It states:

Secondary Battery
Your vehicle may be equipped with a secondary
battery used to power the Stop/Start system

and the 12 Volt vehicle electrical system.

That says "MAY BE EQUIPPED". It does not tell me if my exact Wrangler has an auxiliary battery or not.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

It states:

Secondary Battery

That says "MAY BE EQUIPPED". It does not tell me if my exact Wrangler has an auxiliary battery or not.
Specific options for your vehicle will be on your sticker or order sheet. The manual you receive is for the Year and Model you purchased. It will have all options possible; supplements will cover any extra equipment.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

It states:

Secondary Battery

What is your VIN #? I will help you look up your sticker if you don't have it. There is a link you can use to look up all equipment installed when your Jeep was built.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

It states:

Secondary Battery

You really need to read that page. It clearly states that vehicles with ESS have 2 batteries and vehicles with E-Torque have a hybrid battery. The "May be equipped" is a statement to separate the aux battery and the hybrid battery equipped vehicles. If you don't have E-Torque, you have an Aux battery and then it shows you where it's located and even gives directions where to find it.

Either way, everything you need is there.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Agreed, Jeep should have stayed with the large 48v e-torque on all ESS Wranglers from the start (pun intended 😜) this Option A should have been the only option for ESS.

The other methods seem less reliable.. i.e. Option B: the small extra 12v battery under the main one... I would have hated that!!!!
Option C: the no aux battery with larger alternator which is taking a beating with the ESS and will fail before all the other options above.
Option D? Make everything 48V and eliminate the 12V battery?

With that factory system, if you have all your aftermarket electrical accessories attached to your main battery under the hood, and you drain that battery down, you're just stuck with a dead battery, that's it.
Ever thought about offering a kit that allows drawing off of the 48V battery only?

Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Option D? Make everything 48V and eliminate the 12V battery?

Ever thought about offering a kit that allows drawing off of the 48V battery only?
I don't see that being feasible. Every system in the fuse box is designed to run on 12v.
Our systems are designed to leave the factory electronics alone as much as possible. That 48v battery bank is there for a specific purpose, not interested in messing with that.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Good question! The eTorque system's battery is strictly for providing electric assist to get the vehicle moving from a stop. Once the engine gets up to a certain rpm level, the gas engine takes over. This is designed to help you save a few drops of gas at take-off.

Vehicles with the eTorque system have a belt start generator instead of a traditional alternator. That BSG charges the 48v bank under the vehicle, and then from there it sends 12v back up to the cranking battery to keep it charged up.

With that factory system, if you have all your aftermarket electrical accessories attached to your main battery under the hood, and you drain that battery down, you're just stuck with a dead battery, that's it.

With our dual battery system, all of your aftermarket electrical accessories will run from the second battery and will not drain down your cranking battery. The whole idea of our system is to make sure you can start the engine. Even if you do end up with a dead cranking battery (all batteries eventually die), we have a boost button built in - press the boost button to link the batteries together just like using jumper cables to use the power from the second battery to help start the engine.
@Genesis Offroad , here's a screen shot from Fuses - Battery - eTorque schematic that appears to show a 12V connection directly from the generator to PDC terminal N7 (this is where the alternator connects on the ESS system). This would charge the 12V battery directly from the generator while the engine is running. Is it your understanding that this is not correct? I have not been able to verify this connection with any other schematic.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Only has ONE battery? etorque N7 N8.PNG

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Genesis Offroad , here's a screen shot from Fuses - Battery - eTorque schematic that appears to show a 12V connection directly from the generator to PDC terminal N7 (this is where the alternator connects on the ESS system). This would charge the 12V battery directly from the generator while the engine is running. Is it your understanding that this is not correct? I have not been able to verify this connection with any other schematic.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Only has ONE battery? etorque N7 N8.PNG
Actually, can anybody with an eTorque system verify whether or not they have a wire connected to N7?

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, can anybody with an eTorque system verify whether or not they have a wire connected to N7?
Here's how mine looks. Was a quick picture on my lunch so I couldn't trace where the back wire is going.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Only has ONE battery? 20210302_135122

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's how mine looks. Was a quick picture on my lunch so I couldn't trace where the back wire is going.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T Only has ONE battery? 20210302_135122
Thanks for the pic. No wire on N7 - the schematic is wrong.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I would think you have to have the small ESS battery. The 2021 2.0 ditched e torque. So unless I’m missing something, you would have to have the ESS battery.

the 2.0 from prior years (before 2021) has a different setup (eTorque) and would not have the battery.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Quick ESS question for the 48v aux battery option. IF i turn the ESS off all the time or with a tuner update, will that essentially cancel the use of the aux battery, or is still in use or needed for other things 🤔

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Quick ESS question for the 48v aux battery option. IF i turn the ESS off all the time or with a tuner update, will that essentially cancel the use of the aux battery, or is still in use or needed for other things 🤔
The 48volt isn't an "AUX" battery.

It is used as the mild hybrid battery to drive the generator. If you turn off ESS, this battery is still used to produce TQ for the engine.

If you have 2.0T, you do not have the smaller AUX Battery.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FYI: The belt-starter-generator (BSG) replaces the alternator, and charges the 48V battery only. The 48V battery supplies power to the 12V battery through a 3000W converter.
Sponsored