First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Hello, can you link me to the site where you bought the black inserts for the grill? I want to purchase the inserts but could not find them online. I want to go from stock silver to black insert for the grill on my Sahara.

Like I said, this thread was super helpful! I took out all 4 of the plastic shield plugs on the bumper to get to the Fog Bezel. It did make it easier as you have to bend it back if you only take out the 3. Thankfully, I had ordered new OEM bezels and grill inserts as I did crack both bezels prying them out.

IMG_9977.jpg

That being said, the process was so much easier with the tip from this thread than from others. You definitely don't have to take out the full bumper cover to get to these. That would have been far more work!

IMG_9978.jpg

After having swapped out the fog bezels. That already makes such a difference. What I never liked about the silver inserts is how it changes the focus of the front to the outside of the bumper edge vs the focus on the iconic Jeep O|||||||O 7 slot grill~

IMG_9979.jpg

Taking the grill out is a little bit of a mind bend... It bends and makes you worry that it could crack. Especially since I did crack both bezels removing. I just took extra time and you can feel each clip disengaging.

IMG_9980.jpg

I took a couple photos of the grill prior to getting started so that if I had any questions as to the various screws, tabs, clips etc I could reference as I put it back together. I was glad I did, because the very last clips at the base of where the grill mesh went in had me scratching my head. It's not complicated, It was just nice to have a reference.

IMG_9981.jpg

All the videos I watched made pulling the insert out look a bit easier than mine. Both the light inserts took a bit of force and twisting to pull out. Again, I just took my time and each came out tab at a time until that f'ugly silver was out!!!

IMG_9982.jpg

As I mentioned, it did take bit of force. A minor battle with one of the tabs and my thumb took a defeat from some stubborn Ohio made plastic! ;)

IMG_9983.jpg

I was super happy upon getting it all back together and seeing the black accents vs the silver. For a while I had contemplated just getting a Mopar satin grill replacement vs changing out the inserts. But I love the granite paint color and am happy I went this route instead as the accents give it a really nice detail while still keeping the continuous paint match theme to my Jeep.

IMG_9984.jpg

Getting the grill back in once you have it all back together was a synch. You simply line it all up and gently press in watching that to tabs up top slowly align as each tab click into place. The pin's go back in super easy also.

IMG_9994.jpg

Man, do I love the look! I really simplifies the front end and gives the Jeep a really classic look while still feeling stock. Ideally, I do want to swap out the bumper to steel... but not yet an expense Im ready to pull the trigger on. This however, was a super inexpensive way to black out the front until Im ready to swap the bumper~

Anyhow - This thread helped me immeasurably. So hoping my additional context may help someone else~
Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Just installed the Bezels. It looks so much better. Thanks to everyone who gave some tips!

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

VikingJL

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara

ryansjeep48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Hoping that someone from this thread can tell me if the inner panel of the bezel can be removed with a trim tool?

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels jeep2
I know this is really late, but no you can’t remove that. It’s all part of the bumper cover.

Sponsored

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Just spent the last couple of days changing my Sahara's silver bezels on the grille, headlight surrounds, and fog lights to matte black. I like the silver contrast, but with an upcoming wheel/tire upgrade this summer wanted a little more aggressive front end. It actually turned out pretty dang good, and I like the contrast/new look. Two coats of matte black and two coats of matte clear coat. Cheapest I could find the black grille/bezels pieces for, with shipping, was going to be $162. For just over $7 in spray that includes a primer I'm done. Not a bad trade-off for a new look.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels PXL_20210123_182732718

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels PXL_20210410_213222633_2

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Just spent the last couple of days changing my Sahara's silver bezels on the grille, headlight surrounds, and fog lights to matte black. I like the silver contrast, but with an upcoming wheel/tire upgrade this summer wanted a little more aggressive front end. It actually turned out pretty dang good, and I like the contrast/new look. Two coats of matte black and two coats of matte clear coat. Cheapest I could find the black grille/bezels pieces for, with shipping, was going to be $162. For just over $7 in spray that includes a primer I'm done. Not a bad trade-off for a new look.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels PXL_20210410_213222633_2

looks much, much better IMO!

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
looks much, much better IMO!
Thanks very much! I think so, too. Good thing is I know now how to do it and when it needs refreshing it won't be too painful. We'll see how it holds up over time.

When it's time to get new tires this summer I'm also looking at changing out the stock 18" rims (which I actually like) for 17" ones, which will give me more tire options going forward at a cheaper per tire rate. Not looking to spend a fortune or anything, so looking at several of the Quadratec "Jeep-inspired" models (Morphic, Hardrock, Recon...). I like them, and rather than picking up a set of take-offs from someone else I'll have a new set that doesn't look to crazy and still stay relatively stock in look. We'll see...

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Thanks very much! I think so, too. Good thing is I know now how to do it and when it needs refreshing it won't be too painful. We'll see how it holds up over time.

When it's time to get new tires this summer I'm also looking at changing out the stock 18" rims (which I actually like) for 17" ones, which will give me more tire options going forward at a cheaper per tire rate. Not looking to spend a fortune or anything, so looking at several of the Quadratec "Jeep-inspired" models (Morphic, Hardrock, Recon...). I like them, and rather than picking up a set of take-offs from someone else I'll have a new set that doesn't look to crazy and still stay relatively stock in look. We'll see...
i literally did the same thing!

1C46B898-3E27-438F-BB60-E51796215804.jpeg

0017121A-76E7-4AF5-8006-EA8E669237A0.jpeg

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i literally did the same thing!

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels 0017121A-76E7-4AF5-8006-EA8E669237A0

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels 0017121A-76E7-4AF5-8006-EA8E669237A0
That is hilarious! One thing about white is that anything you do with black as contrast really looks good. Your grille and rims updates look fantastic. Really like the Morphic rims on your ride.

How are you liking the BF Goodrich A/Ts? I'm looking at a range of tires, wanting a more aggressive design that will help with light to moderate off-roading, but don't want to add a ton of new noise since this is my daily driver as well. Have read a ton of opinions on all different tires, and there is something to suit everyone. I just have to decide...

Sponsored

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
Paint.
Yea I know right.. it's almost as if they intentionally trying it to make it look "cheap"
Did you clear coat it? I use rustolem paint and when I tried clear coat it same brand it ate the dam paint and ruined my parts.
Sponsored