Sponsored

2020 Ford Bronco and baby Bronco models teased to take on Wrangler and Renegade?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Turbos are not all they are cracked up to be. Had a 2017 6.7 turbo diesel F250, the holy grail of torque. Nobody likes to admit it, but turbo lag never went away folks. Very annoying when in heavy traffic. You floor it and then wait. Bye bye open space in traffic and hello late rush of power you no longer need.
Turbo Diesels can’t be compared to modern turbo gassers - they generate power completely differently, and feel completely different.

Also, that powerstoke is bogged down by so many emissions and economy add-ons, and the throttle response you’re interpreting as ‘turbo lag’ is there to use less fuel. A simple flash will wake it right the heck up, heck I can break my 35s loose at 3/4 throttle and I’ve only got the 6.0.
Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Turbo Diesels can’t be compared to modern turbo gassers - they generate power completely differently, and feel completely different.

Also, that powerstoke is bogged down by so many emissions and economy add-ons, and the throttle response you’re interpreting as ‘turbo lag’ is there to use less fuel. A simple flash will wake it right the heck up, heck I can break my 35s loose at 3/4 throttle and I’ve only got the 6.0.
Do the “flash upgrades” display in the module that dealerships plug into for error codes? Would it void the warranty if found?

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
A dealership can find them if they look for them and they can void a warranty. Typically if you get a warranty issue you just remove the tune before taking it to the dealership if it’s something you think will be considered.

They’re typically very safe and reliable. If anything, your tune will highlight an existing issue with your car. But, I wouldn’t worry about it so much with a new car. My Baja is 15 years old and has been driven very hard its whole life. It’s now tuned to make an extra 50hp or so and still running strong.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Do the “flash upgrades” display in the module that dealerships plug into for error codes? Would it void the warranty if found?
You can always re-flash it back to stock - takes 2 minutes and a couple of button presses. Then just don’t leave the tuner in the glovebox ;-)

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My two big concerns with the Bronco is they may not make a 2-door. And they will probably be very heavy. Using an older existing chassis and body on frame construction. They’re really going to rely heavily on name recognition and styling. I’d be much more excited if they had an all new chassis for it that was ultra modern and light. I’m expecting a 4000 lb pig though.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
A friend of mine who flashed his VW said yes, they can tell if you've ever done it, and yes it voided the warranty.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brutal. So far I’ve had 3 tuned cars at dealership and they didn’t care. I guess I’ve been lucky. I didn’t even take the tune off. Seems like it depends on the individual service person at the dealership. I also avoid cars with warranties in general. I recently got my Tesla with one intentionally because I knew it was going to need some expensive stuff.

I could see where someone would wanna wait a while with a new car before tuning it. Get used to the existing driving feel and drive it hard to see if you can find any hiccups that warranty should take care of. Personally, I’d probably drive it a month then boost the hell out of it and see what happens. :D

I wonder what part of the engine your friend broke when he tuned it. Like anything, tunes need to be used responsibly. Use the correct gas and such. Typically a modern engine won’t damage itself regardless of boost. It’ll just go into limp mode or retard itself if it detects knock.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
My two big concerns with the Bronco is they may not make a 2-door. And they will probably be very heavy. Using an older existing chassis and body on frame construction. They’re really going to rely heavily on name recognition and styling. I’d be much more excited if they had an all new chassis for it that was ultra modern and light. I’m expecting a 4000 lb pig though.
Could explain why they’ll throw that turbo V6 on it! Gotta get it to move somehow. Haha

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The base engine is reportedly the 2.3L 4 cyl and then there will be the 2.7L Raptor type option. But, if the 2.7 fits then the 3.5 should fit. And of course, that would be the hotness.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

I had a gas 2005 Legacy GT...guess what? Still had to spool up. And don’t say it was old technology. Not much has changed. The only way to solve this is small electric “turbos” which are on the horizon if the relaxation of economy requirements do not knock them out. These provide immediate boost.

Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s definitely old tech. My Baja has a similar set up and tons of turbo lag. My 04 STi had tons of turbo lag too.

There’s a lot you can do to combat turbo lag actually. The turbos themselves can be made to spool more quickly, the location of the turbo, the engine size in comparison to turbo size. Subarus are typically small engines with bigger turbos so you get a lot of lag. The Ecoboosts are relatively small twin turbo setups with larger displacements so they spool pretty quickly. Electric superchargers do make a lot of sense and will become more standard as more cars switch to 40 volt electric systems.

In a manual transmission of course the turbo lag is nonexistent because you can chose your rpm at will. In autos it’s often solved with a Sport mode for the transmission which keeps the engine in boost for instant throttle response. Most folks aren’t power hungry like me though :D

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not the same engine but I read somewhere that the BSG should/would cover the turbo lag on the 2.0L. The BSG odds torque on the low end only.
Turbo lag isn’t just from a stand-still, at cruising 1,500-1,800 RPM the impact of the BSG is greatly diminished, while Turbo lag is still present when stomping on the go-pedal.

Of course this can easily be dealt with, with proper anticipation, and gearing down before wanting to go, but either way involves an added pause before going, and needs to be taken into account, especially when people talk about ‘down low power’.

Both ‘down low’ and ‘up high’ turbos can act unpredictably, and when trying to get a brick moving into a headwind, that efficiency can flip very quickly favouring the larger displacement NA engine instead of a tiny turbo needing to remain on boost.

Extreme temps either cold or hot are not the friend of turbo benefits also, either disproportionately impacting emissions or efficacy respectively.

There are benefits to all 3 engines, but they all have their drawbacks too, none has the market cornered on ‘best fit’, and for all of them there are better existing and potential options out there.

For the Bronco it’s use is more pedestrian, so many of the concerns of the Wrangler won’t be those of the Bronco, and it will likely weigh much less as more of a Cherokee competitor than Wrangler hallenger, so getting it moving will require less oomph. As such it’s highly unlikely the Bronco gets the V6 ecoboost, and more likely sees the 2.0/2.3L 4cyl in its top spot.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My prediction is they will come out with a Raptor or ST variant after a couple of years and put the 6 in it. But the 2.7 has been super popular in all its current applications so I could also see it being offered at launch too. If an Edge can get the 2.7 I’m sure the Bronco could. I think the Bronco will be larger and heavier than the Edge. We may even see the 3.5L in the Bronco Raptor which would be sweet. And dangerous. And really that’s why the Wrangler doesn’t get a big engine. They’re already pretty unsafe on the road with 260 torque. If they had over 500 like a Ford they’d be deathtraps.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Sure, sure.. if we’re going unrealistic, might even drop the GT’s 3.5L in there for an SVT version so it can make some respectable track numbers. :captain:

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all. The Edge is a compact/midsize suv and the Bronco is slated to be a midsize suv. They’ve already got the chassis and engine for it to work. It’s their volume engine already. It’s fords version of the pentastar. I think the ecosport or baby bronco will certainly only get the 3 and 4 cyl ecoboosts but the actual Bronco will likely get 4 and 6 options same as Edge and Explorer.
Sponsored