Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Hey Everyone,

We're a little late in the game with wanting to buy a Chief Blue Unlimited Rubicon. There are still a few left on lots that I have found... just not a lot of choices, and a long way to go get them.

The main reason I'm posting is about color-matched fenders (and hard top).

We will be building this for wheeling. Not extreme; but, 3-1/2" lift and 37s. We spend a few weeks every year in Moab, and that's really what the Jeep is being purchased for.

My inclination is to buy the black top and black fenders. There's a nice contrast between the black and the Chief. I am mostly concerned about the painted fenders being more easily damaged than the black fenders. The painted fender have a different look to them... and they really do look nice.

Just curious if anyone else has debated color for the same reasons with Chief. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I really planned on a diesel; but, that limits the options even more when looking for Chief Blue.

Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

Jeff
I put 30k on my JLUR with painted fenders (had some PPF on them, cheap insurance) including two trips to Moab and several other pretty hardcore wheeling days and had no issues. You get chips there. Best advice is to keep the wheels tucked as much as possible and you will be fine. Don't sweat it. Build it and use it. If anything, I'd say paint the top leave the fenders. But I love the look of painted top.

We love our JL Rubi 2 door -- painted tops/fenders in Chief. Once our tires wear out (out here in AZ you get 18-24 months typically if wheeling before traction becomes an issue) we'll throw an inch spacer and 315's on it. It did great in Moab stock but could use a tad more clearance for some of the 6+ trails.
Sponsored

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Jeana,

Chief Blue was my top color choice. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to order last November it was already discontinued.

Our dealer had a Chief Blue Sahara with color matched top and fenders and a Rubicon with black top and fenders. It was great to be able to compare them side by side. Both my husband and I liked the black contrast on the Rubi a lot better. Even though I love the color the Sahara was just a little too much blue for me.

Unfortunately neither Jeep was optioned the way we wanted so we still had to order.

The Rubicon is still on the lot if your search doesn't find something closer to home. But it's a manual and the dealer added a lift and different wheels, larger tires and who knows what else.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your input.

Nothing is really close to home. lol

We're looking for an automatic, and I have a preference for a lift to install afterward. But... the way this is going, I could change my mind. Thanks for the mention of your local dealer, though.

I hope you're enjoying your new Jeep!

Jeff

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

I put 30k on my JLUR with painted fenders (had some PPF on them, cheap insurance) including two trips to Moab and several other pretty hardcore wheeling days and had no issues. You get chips there. Best advice is to keep the wheels tucked as much as possible and you will be fine. Don't sweat it. Build it and use it. If anything, I'd say paint the top leave the fenders. But I love the look of painted top.

We love our JL Rubi 2 door -- painted tops/fenders in Chief. Once our tires wear out (out here in AZ you get 18-24 months typically if wheeling before traction becomes an issue) we'll throw an inch spacer and 315's on it. It did great in Moab stock but could use a tad more clearance for some of the 6+ trails.
Thanks for your input, too.

I'm really on the fence... it may come down to the options we settle on to determine which fender choice we get.

There's actually a Chief Blue in Tempe that we have been considering. It has the diesel; but, no cold weather package. (And it has black top and fenders.)

Take Care,

Jeff

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Thanks for your input, too.

I'm really on the fence... it may come down to the options we settle on to determine which fender choice we get.

There's actually a Chief Blue in Tempe that we have been considering. It has the diesel; but, no cold weather package. (And it has black top and fenders.)

Take Care,

Jeff
If you're stuck on Chief blue, it's hard right now.

Whatever you do, you can't inexpensively change color. You can add heated seats (probably not the wheel). You can paint the top, or the fenders. It's better to start out with black anyway as it's about the same cost to paint it as adding it from factory.

Considering how rare that color is though, you won't have trouble trading it next year on a special order if a color comes out you like better -- and then you can swap the aftermarket parts.

I paid $52 and change on a $60k MSRP '19 JLUR, put $5k in mods and traded it two years later with around 30k on the ODO for $50k + tax credit.

My 2 door gets an insane amount of attention in this color. I've owned a lot of Jeeps... only my crazy built 2 door gets more attention.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Again,

If you're stuck on Chief blue, it's hard right now.

Whatever you do, you can't inexpensively change color. You can add heated seats (probably not the wheel). You can paint the top, or the fenders. It's better to start out with black anyway as it's about the same cost to paint it as adding it from factory.

Considering how rare that color is though, you won't have trouble trading it next year on a special order if a color comes out you like better -- and then you can swap the aftermarket parts.

I paid $52 and change on a $60k MSRP '19 JLUR, put $5k in mods and traded it two years later with around 30k on the ODO for $50k + tax credit.

My 2 door gets an insane amount of attention in this color. I've owned a lot of Jeeps... only my crazy built 2 door gets more attention.
Not that it's critical... being that you're from a pretty hot state... What do you think of the painted top versus black, and if it keeps the JL (slightly) cooler when compared to the black top?

Your two-door is really a pretty Jeep. I'm slightly leaning towards painted top and fender; but, I'm not sure how that will work out with the dealer. The reason it first caught my attention was the Chief Blue and diesel. At that time the top color wasn't important. That dealer wants a bit of a premium... just not sure it's worth it. Basically the only options that I have found are 3.6 black top/fenders, 3.6 black top painted fenders, and diesel painted top/painted fenders. I guess that I have dealt with some really good dealers in the past... trying to convince a dealer out of state that you're really interested in one of their vehicles is really difficult. I suppose they end up with a lot of dishonest lookers, too.

I see you have the diesel in your Gladiator. Something you'd do again? Forums are good for pointing out problems, so reading about a few problems with the diesels probably shouldn't scare me off. My last three main rides have been Chevy HD Duramax diesels. Only a few DEF problems on the 2011. What is your opinion about crawling with the Jeep diesel? The 3.6 is pretty capable compared to the 2008 Rubicon we had for a short while. Just curious about your opinion.

Thanks for writing.

Jeff

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Again,

Not that it's critical... being that you're from a pretty hot state... What do you think of the painted top versus black, and if it keeps the JL (slightly) cooler when compared to the black top?

Your two-door is really a pretty Jeep. I'm slightly leaning towards painted top and fender; but, I'm not sure how that will work out with the dealer. The reason it first caught my attention was the Chief Blue and diesel. At that time the top color wasn't important. That dealer wants a bit of a premium... just not sure it's worth it. Basically the only options that I have found are 3.6 black top/fenders, 3.6 black top painted fenders, and diesel painted top/painted fenders. I guess that I have dealt with some really good dealers in the past... trying to convince a dealer out of state that you're really interested in one of their vehicles is really difficult. I suppose they end up with a lot of dishonest lookers, too.

I see you have the diesel in your Gladiator. Something you'd do again? Forums are good for pointing out problems, so reading about a few problems with the diesels probably shouldn't scare me off. My last three main rides have been Chevy HD Duramax diesels. Only a few DEF problems on the 2011. What is your opinion about crawling with the Jeep diesel? The 3.6 is pretty capable compared to the 2008 Rubicon we had for a short while. Just curious about your opinion.

Thanks for writing.

Jeff
I would imagine a color painted top would be better in the heat. But I don't have any data to back that up. The headliners help too. That said, the AC is so damn good in these things and I park in a garage that I honestly never notice either way.

Regarding the diesel, I'm reserving judgement for a bit longer since I'm only 2500 miles in.
A few takeaways:

1) I haven't put it in 4LO yet so I can't really comment. We took the wife's 2 door to Moab instead since I didn't want to drag the belly. I've mostly done camping trips.

2) As you know, turbo diesel is a bit less responsive off the line vs a normal gas engine. Sounds like you're fine with that. Tuning companies are already working on something for this summer I believe which should add another ~90 lb ft torque or something, and wake it up while keeping emissions in tact and letting it run cleaner. I.e., good news for the emissions systems health/longevity.

3) It feels faster above 40 than the 3.6 and the 2.0. Below 40 it feels slower. I think technically to 60 it's slower than both by a good second or so. But man it hauls on the highway.

4) Gas mileage hasn't changed since I threw the 37's on last week. Seems to be getting 20-22 still even without re-programming tire size. So that's a damn good sign. My JLUR dropped to 13-15 mpg basically immediately from the 18-20 that I was getting. Also it still finds 8th gear no issue.

But yeah I haven't had any 'issues' in the 2500 miles so far with the Diesel. It's too early in ownership but so far yes I would do it again.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Guarnibl,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

We've rented JLs in Moab the last two years. (My wife lost her sense of humor for our '71 Bronco, in spite of the fact it stands out as being pretty unique.) We've been in lifted JLs with both the 3.6 and 2.0. Both were great, although I am not really interested in buying the 2.0.

I really enjoyed using the decent control. I've searched online and haven't really gotten a firm answer about decent control in the diesel. Most of what I read suggests that it does. Does your Gladiator have it?

Sorry for all the questions, although I really do appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Jeff

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Guarnibl,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

We've rented JLs in Moab the last two years. (My wife lost her sense of humor for our '71 Bronco, in spite of the fact it stands out as being pretty unique.) We've been in lifted JLs with both the 3.6 and 2.0. Both were great, although I am not really interested in buying the 2.0.

I really enjoyed using the decent control. I've searched online and haven't really gotten a firm answer about decent control in the diesel. Most of what I read suggests that it does. Does your Gladiator have it?

Sorry for all the questions, although I really do appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Jeff
You're welcome. The 2.0 isn't as proven long term -- and I think the 8 speed auto is more than adequate when mated with the 3.6 with larger tires, assuming you re-gear to keep it in 8th.

I do believe it has descent control. I'll verify today. And no worries, glad to help.

Super Chief

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel Chief
New to the Forum and I thought this would be a good place to start. This is my Chief v3.0 (although I think I've had 9 or 10 Jeeps over the years). It started with a 79 Cherokee, then on to an 18 JK, and finally the 21 JLURD you see here. I absolutely love it. I'm even impressed by how the FCA engineers recreated the drifty steering and questionable brakes that my 79 had.;)
Jeep Wrangler JL CHIEF Blue Wrangler JL Club 47630015.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL CHIEF Blue Wrangler JL Club IMG_7611.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL CHIEF Blue Wrangler JL Club IMG_2436.JPG

Jorginho 113

First Name
Jorginho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 6-Speed
New to the Forum and I thought this would be a good place to start. This is my Chief v3.0 (although I think I've had 9 or 10 Jeeps over the years). It started with a 79 Cherokee, then on to an 18 JK, and finally the 21 JLURD you see here. I absolutely love it. I'm even impressed by how the FCA engineers recreated the drifty steering and questionable brakes that my 79 had.;)
Love It, did you plastidip them tow hooks or have them painted! They look great with the Chief blue color!!!

Sponsored

Super Chief

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel Chief
Love It, did you plastidip them tow hooks or have them painted! They look great with the Chief blue color!!!
The tow hooks are satin black textured rust-oleum. It matches the bumper almost perfectly and it is super easy to touch up. Just mask off and spray away. I did the rear hook in rust-oleum gloss maui blue which is very close to our Chief blue.

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Hey Everyone,

We're a little late in the game with wanting to buy a Chief Blue Unlimited Rubicon. There are still a few left on lots that I have found... just not a lot of choices, and a long way to go get them.

The main reason I'm posting is about color-matched fenders (and hard top).

We will be building this for wheeling. Not extreme; but, 3-1/2" lift and 37s. We spend a few weeks every year in Moab, and that's really what the Jeep is being purchased for.

My inclination is to buy the black top and black fenders. There's a nice contrast between the black and the Chief. I am mostly concerned about the painted fenders being more easily damaged than the black fenders. The painted fender have a different look to them... and they really do look nice.

Just curious if anyone else has debated color for the same reasons with Chief. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I really planned on a diesel; but, that limits the options even more when looking for Chief Blue.

Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

Jeff
I like it with the black! 👍