Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangle JLU willys 2020
hi,
my jeep feels riding very bumpy or rough, am getting like a vibration all over the vehicle specially around 80 to 100 kph. wheel balance and alignment seems to be fine and i took it to the dealer and they nothing wrong with the car , but am getting these since last 2 weeks and no idea wot happened.

jeep wrangler jlu willys 2020 3.6
running on BFG 265/70/17
with teraflex spacer kit.
all other suspension is stock and came with rubicon shocks
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
hi,
my jeep feels riding very bumpy or rough, am getting like a vibration all over the vehicle specially around 80 to 100 kph. wheel balance and alignment seems to be fine and i took it to the dealer and they nothing wrong with the car , but am getting these since last 2 weeks and no idea wot happened.

jeep wrangler jlu willys 2020 3.6
running on BFG 265/70/17
with teraflex spacer kit.
all other suspension is stock and came with rubicon shocks
Ahmed, you said alignment and wheel balance “seems” to be fine, but did you have it checked? If not, have each wheel checked for balance first. Are the BFGs mud terrain tires, or all terrain?

OP
OP
Ahmedbijith

Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahmed, you said alignment and wheel balance “seems” to be fine, but did you have it checked? If not, have each wheel checked for balance first. Are the BFGs mud terrain tires, or all terrain?
yes i did a wheel alignment and balance last day they are ok. its bfg ko2 all terrains

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
yes i did a wheel alignment and balance last day they are ok. its bfg ko2 all terrains
Ahmed, maybe try changing your tire pressure a bit. Generally, dropping the pressure makes the ride more comfortable. Our recommended tire manufacturer pressures for our two Jeeps is around 60 pounds per square inch, which is WAY too high for a Jeep Wrangler JL. We run them at 34-36. Running them at 60 would cause what you described. Good luck!

OP
OP
Ahmedbijith

Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahmed, maybe try changing your tire pressure a bit. Generally, dropping the pressure makes the ride more comfortable. Our recommended tire manufacturer pressures for our two Jeeps is around 60 pounds per square inch, which is WAY too high for a Jeep Wrangler JL. We run them at 34-36. Running them at 60 would cause what you described. Good luck!
i put tire pressure at 33 which goes aroung 36 as it heats up. car was driving normally on the same tire and same pressure....this started recently and i feel it while around 80 to 100 kph....feel like the car is riding with 50 pressure on tires

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would chalk test the tires, start at 36# and go down a pound at a time with a solid chalk line on opposite wheels.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
i put tire pressure at 33 which goes aroung 36 as it heats up. car was driving normally on the same tire and same pressure....this started recently and i feel it while around 80 to 100 kph....feel like the car is riding with 50 pressure on tires
Ahmed, as it just started recently, you’re right - something has clearly changed. I would take it to another shop, and emphasize that it recently changed. Perhaps something with the front and/or rear geometry (track bar?). Or, perhaps the first shop was using an older, lower speed wheel balance machine. I know it’s aggravating. I recently had a knocking sound underneath my Jeep, at low speeds while turning. The first shop found nothing wrong. The second shop found that my driver side lower control arm needed to be tightened. That fixed the problem.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would chalk test the tires, start at 36# and go down a pound at a time with a solid chalk line on opposite wheels.
I don’t know if this is true for the BFGs, but many modern AT and hybrid tires are designed for the center of the tread to take most of the load on the road. Chalk-testing to flatten out the footprint could adversely affect those particular tires on the hard road, and negatively affect handling characteristics. I would check with the tire manufacturer first before doing this, just to make sure.

OP
OP
Ahmedbijith

Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
will try that
Ahmed, as it just started recently, you’re right - something has clearly changed. I would take it to another shop, and emphasize that it recently changed. Perhaps something with the front and/or rear geometry (track bar?). Or, perhaps the first shop was using an older, lower speed wheel balance machine. I know it’s aggravating. I recently had a knocking sound underneath my Jeep, at low speeds while turning. The first shop found nothing wrong. The second shop found that my driver side lower control arm needed to be tightened. That fixed the problem.
the car is just 15000 kms and i dont do much abususive offroad use also.neways will give a try with another shop

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
the car is just 15000 kms and i dont do much abususive offroad use also.neways will give a try with another shop
Just be careful if you chalk test. It is great for bias ply tires, but sometimes not so great for modern off road tires. The less tire pressure you have, the more sidewall flexing you will get, which could raise your tire temperatures dangerously high, and make the sidewalls unstable and sloppy, adversely affecting tire life, handling, and safety.

The tire engineers are generally smarter than the average public, and they know their tires. I know there are TONS of forums and videos promoting the chalk test, but take a look at some of those forums, and you will see the same concerns being discussed in-depth. Flattening the tread footprint affects the rest of the tire - the sidewalls - as well, but most folks ignore that, which could be dangerous.

Your rim diameter and width, compared to your tire diameter and width, as well as the sidewall rating, should be carefully considered as well.

OP
OP
Ahmedbijith

Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be careful if you chalk test. It is great for bias ply tires, but sometimes not so great for modern off road tires. The less tire pressure you have, the more sidewall flexing you will get, which could raise your tire temperatures dangerously high, and make the sidewalls unstable and sloppy, adversely affecting tire life, handling, and safety.

The tire engineers are generally smarter than the average public, and they know their tires. I know there are TONS of forums and videos promoting the chalk test, but take a look at some of those forums, and you will see the same concerns being discussed in-depth. Flattening the tread footprint affects the rest of the tire - the sidewalls - as well, but most folks ignore that, which could be dangerous.

Your rim diameter and width, compared to your tire diameter and width, as well as the sidewall rating, should be carefully considered as well.
thank you for the comments.....i will try a check on the alignment and balance with a different shop

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i have the BFGs on my Jeep and just had them completely rebalanced and it made a world of difference. They arent perfect.

OP
OP
Ahmedbijith

Ahmedbijith

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so i made my alignment and balance and its all good, jeep still rides rough and one of the 4x4 garage guy is suggesting that due to the teraflex spacer lift my stock shocks is doing this as its not working properly. this is willys edition and it comes with rubicon shocks.
Sponsored