Sponsored

2020 Ford Bronco and baby Bronco models teased to take on Wrangler and Renegade?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, a lot of these folks don't get it....Were not around back then to realize how you had to option out a truck for it to be considered "loaded". Pretty sure the '96 Bronco came standard with the 4.9 inline six mated to a 5-speed manual (4-speed w/overdrive to be exact). The 5.8 with a 3-speed automatic was actually a pretty heavy option. EB didn't come standard with leather or many other features that are now considered "included" on a vehicle.
A 1996 Ford Bronco had a standard 302 V-8 and a 5 speed Manual. Optional was the 351 V-8 as well as an optional 4 speed automatic (3 speed was phased out in 1991)

The base price of a 1996 Bronco XL was $23,035, and adjusted for inflation that is $36,994.66 for 2018. That's base price... with no options added and more expensive than a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT's base MSRP ($34,175) that has a lot more standard features. If anything should be considered overpriced it should be older vehicles were back when they were new.
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Looks like I've touched a few nerves here. I guess this isn't my audience. I apologize to those I may have offended through my mistake. I'll go somewhere else and leave you all be.
I didn't read your post like some others. Their replies came across more like projection to me.

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Hey, I saw another picture on a bronco forum of a mule for the bronco. If it looks even remotely like the mule it's just an overgrown Forrester.
I was gonna wait to see the Broncos but I have lost hope and will get an overpriced sahara!

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I think it'll be very similar to a 4Runner. Midsized middle of the road light-duty off-roader with boxy styling and a really good engine/transmission. Won't be a rock crawler but will do everything else better than Wrangler. I have a feeling they will look particularly good stanced. Also they are supposed to get the 2.7L V6 which makes about 425hp/450tq with a flash tune. That's proper power for a small rugged off-roader. Solid 150hp/torque bump over a Wrangler.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I think it'll be very similar to a 4Runner. Midsized middle of the road light-duty off-roader with boxy styling and a really good engine/transmission. Won't be a rock crawler but will do everything else better than Wrangler. I have a feeling they will look particularly good stanced. Also they are supposed to get the 2.7L V6 which makes about 425hp/450tq with a flash tune. That's proper power for a small rugged off-roader. Solid 150hp/torque bump over a Wrangler.
I’m not the brightest bulb in the bunch but how can Ford get 425hp/450tq out of a 2.7L V6 and Jeep can only get 295hp/290tq out of a 3.6L V6? Is it possible to “flash tune” the Pentastar?

Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not the brightest bulb in the bunch but how can Ford get 425hp/450tq out of a 2.7L V6 and Jeep can only get 295hp/290tq out of a 3.6L V6? Is it possible to “flash tune” the Pentastar?
Just because the Ecoboost is turbo charged. It's easy to turn up the boost on turbo'd engines to make a bunch more power.

The Ecoboost makes 325hp/400tq stock. A flash tune adds about 100hp/75tq depending on tune, modifications, gas.

The Pentastar makes 285hp/260tq I think.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just because the Ecoboost is turbo charged. It's easy to turn up the boost on turbo'd engines to make a bunch more power.

The Ecoboost makes 325hp/400tq stock. A flash tune adds about 100hp/75tq depending on tune, modifications, gas.

The Pentastar makes 285hp/260tq I think.
Thank you! I hadn’t realized it was a turbo. What effect does a turbo do for mpg and efficiency ratings? I know Jeep is doing ESS & BSG for that reason so would it be counterproductive to add a turbo on the V6? It feels like they love the Pentastar and are just adding options to help them continue its use with the stricter emissions laws.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typically turbos get better mpg, lower emissions. Really, everything should be turbocharged at this point. FCA is using up their old engines for cost savings. The Pentastar will probably be gone in 3-5 years and replaced with the 2.0L turbo that's available in the Wrangler.

Some people don't like turbocharged engines because they're more complex, have smaller displacement typically, and the exhaust notes aren't as loud.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Typically turbos get better mpg, lower emissions. Really, everything should be turbocharged at this point. FCA is using up their old engines for cost savings. The Pentastar will probably be gone in 3-5 years and replaced with the 2.0L turbo that's available in the Wrangler.

Some people don't like turbocharged engines because they're more complex, have smaller displacement typically, and the exhaust notes aren't as loud.
Turbos are great for efficiency until you start using them as they're intended to generate more power.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Turbos are great for efficiency until you start using them as they're intended to generate more power.
This. Turbocharged engines do garbage on MPG when you're getting on it.

That being said, the Pentastar is very behind the times on technology and power for 2018. At least it's reliable and does well on fuel for what it is.

Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks again! I love everything about the JLs other than the engine. Might have to drop a crate engine in it when I win the lottery! Haha

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbos just make power down low and the torque is addictive. Depending on gearing, people tend to utilize more power with turbos because the power is accessible. Most folks don’t ring their naturally aspirated engines to redline in regular daily driving nor do the transmissions really let them stay in the peak power band except for muscle cars pretty much.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Turbos are not all they are cracked up to be. Had a 2017 6.7 turbo diesel F250, the holy grail of torque. Nobody likes to admit it, but turbo lag never went away folks. Very annoying when in heavy traffic. You floor it and then wait. Bye bye open space in traffic and hello late rush of power you no longer need.

That and you have to drive them like underpowered engines to get decent mileage. And sorry, but the coyote is the best engine in the F150. NA on demand power is where it is at.

All you guys salivating for the turbo 4: You don’t care about the ridiculous spark plug interval? Have you priced what it costs for practically the same engine in the Alfa Romeo?

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbos are not all they are cracked up to be. Had a 2017 6.7 turbo diesel F250, the holy grail of torque. Nobody likes to admit it, but turbo lag never went away folks. Very annoying when in heavy traffic. You floor it and then wait. Bye bye open space in traffic and hello late rush of power you no longer need.
Not the same engine but I read somewhere that the BSG should/would cover the turbo lag on the 2.0L. The BSG odds torque on the low end only.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’d think there’d be no turbo lag with a giant v8 diesel and super low rpm torque curve. Very odd. I’ve never actually driven an automatic transmission turbo.

I’ve seen some diesel v8 tuning videos where they actually added sequential turbos to cut down on lag some but they did still have trouble with turbo lag. Those giant towing v8 diesel turbos are a special beast.
Sponsored