Thoughts about winches

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I never claimed I was right, you have held steadfast to your way being the only way. My point has always been the fuse is optional and has potential drawbacks. Anyone who doesn't do it your way is an idiot, despite the fact that the majority of the industry doesn't do it your way. After a half dozen responses telling us all that you know better than everyone from warn to dodge to four wheel magazine, all of whom have far more experience than you or I ever will, it's pretty clear which of us is obsessed with being right.
HungryHound said:
Every JL ordered from a dealership with a winch installed will include a fuseable link.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Warn’s top-selling winches are now made in China, too. So “Made in USA” is less of a differentiator these days...unless you are willing to spend $1,500+

I am shopping for a winch currently. After owning a string of Warn winches over the years, Warn is not on my shopping list this time; I find their prices ridiculous. There are now too many excellent alternatives out there.
same here. warn was my on top of my list but it now 3rd. super winch and ramsey are my top 2 winches i'm currently looking at. i was surprise how much the prices have jumped on the warn.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
If I'm buying a cheap Chinese winch, it should probably be cheap. You can get a cheap Chinese made winch for half that price.
There are well made and poorly made chinese products. Just because it came from China doesn't mean it is junk, and just because it was made in the States does not mean it is well made.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Thats a good winch, but it is really heavy. Most people are buying winches that are overkill for their jeeps. Think about it, you dont need the most powerful winch you can afford. Think about how much weight have you added to your jeep before purchasing a winch.
I did think about it and I was torn between this and a lighter winch but when I was reading recommendations for the Rubicon Trail today I noticed it recommended a winch rated for 2x vehicle weight. Loaded JLUR could run 6,000+. We do plan on doing the Rubicon so that pushed me over the edge.
https://www.overlandsite.com/overlanding/rubicon-trail/

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I did think about it and I was torn between this and a lighter winch but when I was reading recommendations for the Rubicon Trail today I noticed it recommended a winch rated for 2x vehicle weight. Loaded JLUR could run 6,000+. We do plan on doing the Rubicon so that pushed me over the edge.
https://www.overlandsite.com/overlanding/rubicon-trail/
If you look through their photos, most of the rigs on the trail don't even have winches. In 6+ trips, all of which at least 1 of us had a winch, I've never winched on the rubicon. The general rule of thumb is 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle for winch sizing in my experience. A 10k lb winch is more than enough for a JL.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
If you look through their photos, most of the rigs on the trail don't even have winches. In 6+ trips, all of which at least 1 of us had a winch, I've never winched on the rubicon. The general rule of thumb is 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle for winch sizing in my experience. A 10k lb winch is more than enough for a JL.
Interesting, the Rubicon page I linked said 2x but if you go to the linked article it basically confirms what you said. https://www.overlandsite.com/overlanding/best-4x4-winch/ So now, do I return it to save 14lbs ... hummm.. decisions decisions.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
At great long last the winch is on and working! Switching out to synthetic when my hawse fairlead gets here! Thanks everyone for your help and tips!

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614552769457

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches 1614552769457
Glad you are up and running, looks good. If you don't mind me asking what was the issue with the winch paying out the cable?