Sponsored

Which oil should I use and what oil weight?

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
I have searched. Multiple answers . I want to do my own oil changes. I have a 2019 JLU 2.0 turbo. Which oil should I use and what oil weight? TIA!!!!
Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have searched. Multiple answers . I want to do my own oil changes. I have a 2019 JLU 2.0 turbo. Which oil should I use and what oil weight? TIA!!!!
Brother......there are many threads (as I’m sure you know) anyone who chimes in here....will be no different on opinions you’ve already read! Also the ripple effect of this question will send ppl into a catastrophic frenzy....which In turn may be the sole cause of WWIII !!!!!

so please .....please, I beg you.......just privately read the many threads on this topic already in this forum (If you can’t decide, than just use the manufacture recommendation spec and you’ll be fine).

politely ask the mods to erase this thread .....and back away very very slowly, untill it’s safe enough to run!!!

please, before it’s too late!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Some here will swear that if you use anything but Penzoil 0-20 your jeep will lock you in, and speed to the nearest cliff driving off with you in it and explode in mid air. Really. Just suggest using a 5-20 and people will start chanting like in Game Of Thrones, shame...... shame....... shame........

Jeep Wrangler JL Which oil should I use and what oil weight? giphy

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
2.0 Turbo spec is 5-30. Really any oil that is the correct weight and has the SN+ or better is fine. The last oil change the bottle was rated SP.
Gregj

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd run an SP rated 5w30 full synthetic. SN+ is fine, but SP is the latest and greatest. ANY major brand will offer outstanding performance.

If it were mine, I'd run Mobil 1 EP 5w30 and a Fram Ultra filter. But that's just what I like.

Pennzoil has a deal right now where you buy two 5 qt jugs of Pennzoil Platinum (or Ultra Platinum) and you get a $22 Shell gas card. That would be a great deal on great oil.

The main thing is to run whatever oil/filter gives you confidence, but I'd stick with the factory viscosity recommendation, which is 5w30.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you want a definitive answer, here is how to find it. Write down on a separate 3x5 index card the name of each brand and style of SAE 5W-30 motor oil. For instance, "Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30". Carefully tape all of the cards on a wall, sorted into columns by brand.

Then grab a single dart, close your eyes, and throw.

You are guaranteed to hit the right oil.