OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Michael, question...

In the below picture, which features only the sliding portion of LOD's rack system (as taken from an installation manual page on their website) which do you consider the "crossmember" here: the tubes pointed to by the red arrow or the yellow arrow?

From context I'd guess you mean the tubes pointed to by the red arrow. To my mind's eye, cross members are typified by the tubes pointed to by the yellow arrow---but, the important thing, regardless of meaning, is to understand where you envision connection points to be.

As a matter of context, the tubes pointed to by the red arrow travel the length of the vehicle while the yellow ones cross it: from passenger's to driver's side (or vice versa.)

:)

rack.jpg
Your yellow arrow points to our cross member.
Sponsored

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Michael, question...

In the below picture, which features only the sliding portion of LOD's rack system (as taken from an installation manual page on their website) which do you consider the "crossmember" here: the tubes pointed to by the red arrow or the yellow arrow?

From context I'd guess you mean the tubes pointed to by the red arrow. To my mind's eye, cross members are typified by the tubes pointed to by the yellow arrow---but, the important thing, regardless of meaning, is to understand where you envision connection points to be.

As a matter of context, the tubes pointed to by the red arrow travel the length of the vehicle while the yellow ones cross it: from passenger's to driver's side (or vice versa.)

:)

rack.jpg
I was originally referencing yellow, but, the second diagram shows it running lengthwise (red) - which, is where the universal mount would be used.

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
Does anyone have a top lift pro hard top removal with the sliding rack/base rack?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Does anyone have a top lift pro hard top removal with the sliding rack/base rack?
Hey Michael:

While I have neither the LOD Sliding Roof rack nor the Top Lift Pro, I believe this serves as excellent example of the fact that the two are somewhat compatible with one another but not ideal.

I could be wrong.

I say this because you'd probably have to lift and hold the Top Lift pro
at a height that just elevates the back of the hard top above the tub, so its removal occurs without these two surfaces touching, but I'd guess that you could not lift the Top Lift Pro to its full locking height for the hardtop real, and clear the back cross member of the rack. That may be a hard height to hold, AND move the Top Lift pro's ground position simultaneously.

Of course temporarily removing the rack's cross member, and whatever implications that might have are relevant here too. For example, with the rack loaded with static panels, let alone panels on the sliding mechanism, that may be something that LOD would not want having on the rack while disassembling its rear cross member--let alone would such items interfere with the height at which you could raise a Freedom Top removing device if not cantilevered: itself I imagine a huge no-no with that rear cross member not installed.

I'd consider the Freedom Jack. https://www.freedom-jack.com/ in this case. It requires a separately purchased 1 ton engine crane, which seem to always go on sale at Harbor Freight, and allows you to "lock" the height of the back of the Freedom top at an infinite set of points, many low enough it seems to have the back of the Freedom Top's height clear the bottom of the rear cross member of the rack.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
I received my 270 awning, Wraptor 4k 270, and installed it yesterday on my sliding roof rack. Need to adjust it forward a bit as the rear didn't need to overhang as much as I thought, but overall works pretty well mounting it to the crossbar like @lodoffroad mentioned several posts above.

sIMGVSf.jpg

E0obDhN.jpg

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I received my 270 awning, Wraptor 4k 270, and installed it yesterday on my sliding roof rack. Need to adjust it forward a bit as the rear didn't need to overhang as much as I thought, but overall works pretty well mounting it to the crossbar like @lodoffroad mentioned several posts above.

Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Sliding Roof Rack E0obDhN

Ricky: for you personally, what benefit did getting the sliding roof rack component of this rack provide to you?

Let me rephrase: simply acquiring LOD's static panels, rather than the sliding accessory would have been (cheaper and) perfect for your application as detailed in your pictures. And any feature of cantilevering the sliding accessory to provide shade from the sun is clearly not needed given your deployed awning.

Does the sliding component, for example, allow you to change vehicle roofs, or provide shade when cantilevered and your awning is not assembled?

Thanks.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ricky: for you personally, what benefit did getting the sliding roof rack component of this rack provide to you?

Let me rephrase: simply acquiring LOD's static panels, rather than the sliding accessory would have been (cheaper and) perfect for your application as detailed in your pictures. And any feature of cantilevering the sliding accessory to provide shade from the sun is clearly not needed given your deployed awning.

Does the sliding component, for example, allow you to change vehicle roofs, or provide shade when cantilevered and your awning is not assembled?

Thanks.
Funny you asked. At the moment, no more benefits. I actually can't really open it anymore due to the wiring I needed to do for the KC Hilites chase led bar in the rear.

When I bought it way back when, I had a soft top and was fully intended to keep the soft top forever. I needed a rack to put my tent and allow for soft top operation, and it was only between this and Gobi. At the time I got a smoking deal with the rack, plus the lead time and the looks of it beat out the Gobi for me. So the main benefit at the time was being able to slide it out and open/close my soft top. At campsites I would also occasionally open it out for shade, but then it became cumbersome as I had to close it in order to sleep in the tent. Eventually I did swap my soft top for the hard top I have now due to the noise, mainly from wind and how loud it was with the soft top. Now with the hard top the sliding benefit is pretty much gone, even if I can still open it.

With that being said, if I were to buy this rack again I still wouldn't just get this rack without the sliding component as I just do not like the look of the base rack by itself. In hindsight, if I had known that I would be changing to the hardtop, I very might well have opted for the rhino rack backbone and pioneer system. Still love the rack though. LOD did a heck of a job with this one. Even aesthetically I love how rugged the rack looks. And function wise I haven't had any complaints. The only one is just what you said, basically overkill for my application now.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Funny you asked. At the moment, no more benefits. I actually can't really open it anymore due to the wiring I needed to do for the KC Hilites chase led bar in the rear.

When I bought it way back when, I had a soft top and was fully intended to keep the soft top forever. I needed a rack to put my tent and allow for soft top operation, and it was only between this and Gobi. At the time I got a smoking deal with the rack, plus the lead time and the looks of it beat out the Gobi for me. So the main benefit at the time was being able to slide it out and open/close my soft top. At campsites I would also occasionally open it out for shade, but then it became cumbersome as I had to close it in order to sleep in the tent. Eventually I did swap my soft top for the hard top I have now due to the noise, mainly from wind and how loud it was with the soft top. Now with the hard top the sliding benefit is pretty much gone, even if I can still open it.

With that being said, if I were to buy this rack again I still wouldn't just get this rack without the sliding component as I just do not like the look of the base rack by itself. In hindsight, if I had known that I would be changing to the hardtop, I very might well have opted for the rhino rack backbone and pioneer system. Still love the rack though. LOD did a heck of a job with this one. Even aesthetically I love how rugged the rack looks. And function wise I haven't had any complaints. The only one is just what you said, basically overkill for my application now.
Ricky:

Any Wrangler owner, myself included, takes twists in turns in their modification path that gets them to where they currently are, that with hindset, would have saved $ and time. It's just the nature of the beast.

A second rule: any Wrangler owner can acquire any accessory, even if foresight proves them right in it serving limited purpose, other than the aesthetic one, simply by pronouncing, to their inner monologue or to others, "I think it [looks] cool."

And the LOD rack is an engineering marvel. :) Changing tops with a Gobi is a difficult exercise with the rack void of contents, while the LOD even allows some contents when fully cantilevered.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ricky:

Any Wrangler owner, myself included, takes twists in turns in their modification path that gets them to where they currently are, that with hindset, would have saved $ and time. It's just the nature of the beast.

A second rule: any Wrangler owner can acquire any accessory, even if foresight proves them right in it serving limited purpose, other than the aesthetic one, simply by pronouncing, to their inner monologue or to others, "I think it [looks] cool."

And the LOD rack is an engineering marvel. :) Changing tops with a Gobi is a difficult exercise with the rack void of contents, while the LOD even allows some contents when fully cantilevered.
Well said Andy! Thanks! Before the hardtop I have slid open the rack with my roof top tent and storage box on it with absolutely no issues!

Are you looking to getting one?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Well said Andy! Thanks! Before the hardtop I have slid open the rack with my roof top tent and storage box on it with absolutely no issues!

Are you looking to getting one?
I was but ended up making my own rack, using components of the LOD like the wind deflector and panels.

Sponsored

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow!!!! Love your setup. How have you liked the rack? I was leaning to the Gobi but am interested in this one as I have a Top Lift Pro.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Wow!!!! Love your setup. How have you liked the rack? I was leaning to the Gobi but am interested in this one as I have a Top Lift Pro.
Mark:

I don't know if you've seen this video:

I should probably explain how I think it useful:

This video only makes the LOD rack, which I think is great, look less than optimal because the individual that posted it was having some issues with his soft top--nothing to do with rack of course.

But where it really shines I think is seeing the rack up close, even if it is for a JK.

In an appearance contest I think the Gobi wins slightly over the LOD. In a functionality contest I think the LOD, particularly when it comes to opening a soft top and/or changing tops, is the hands down winner.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mark:

I don't know if you've seen this video:

I should probably explain how I think it useful:

This video only makes the LOD rack, which I think is great, look less than optimal because the individual that posted it was having some issues with his soft top--nothing to do with rack of course.

But where it really shines I think is seeing the rack up close, even if it is for a JK.

In an appearance contest I think the Gobi wins slightly over the LOD. In a functionality contest I think the LOD, particularly when it comes to opening a soft top and/or changing tops, is the hands down winner.
Yeah that was a good to see. I had not seen it. Only question I have left is how when you mount a rooftop tent and then fold the tent out (iKamper Skycamp 2.0). Does the side railing of the rack interfere with the floor of the tent flattening out?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yeah that was a good to see. I had not seen it. Only question I have left is how when you mount a rooftop tent and then fold the tent out (iKamper Skycamp 2.0). Does the side railing of the rack interfere with the floor of the tent flattening out?
I would think, excellent point that this is, that products that need to extend beyond the rack's footprint, like that you've described, might best be paired NOT with the sliding rack and its front an back rails, but the LOD panels option:

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...rack-aluminum-floor-kit-2-panels-per-kit.html

Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Sliding Roof Rack 1614748431258
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.