Terrible Radio Reception

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just wondering if this is a common occurrence or just an issue with my JLU, but ever since I have owned my new Rubicon I have had TERRIBLE radio reception. I realize that a large amount of people will just use Carplay or Bluetooth for music...but sometimes I take a quick trip and forget my phone or just want to listen to the radio. Extremely static/white noise/terrible reception for nearly every station. Also, I live in Houston, TX so its a major city, i'm not in the middle of the wilderness.

Anyone else? Potential fix?
Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if this is a common occurrence or just an issue with my JLU, but ever since I have owned my new Rubicon I have had TERRIBLE radio reception. I realize that a large amount of people will just use Carplay or Bluetooth for music...but sometimes I take a quick trip and forget my phone or just want to listen to the radio. Extremely static/white noise/terrible reception for nearly every station. Also, I live in Houston, TX so its a major city, i'm not in the middle of the wilderness.

Assume you are not talking SXM?

OP
OP
themattparty

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Assume you are not talking SXM?
I meant FM/AM. Sorry, should have stated that in the post. Sat Radio works fine. Also have checked the antenna and its connected fine no problem. Wondering if there may be a wiring issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this issue yet.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I meant FM/AM. Sorry, should have stated that in the post. Sat Radio works fine. Also have checked the antenna and its connected fine no problem. Wondering if there may be a wiring issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this issue yet.
If this hasn't happened with your previous cars, then it must be the antenna or wiring. Mine has been crispy clear on all AM, FM, SXM. Maybe try getting one of those aftermarket antennas before looking into the wiring?

bjeep1983

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I haven’t used AM/FM a lot but my Sirius cuts out. They sent me a link to refresh on my own but doesn’t seem to work.

Sponsored

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I actually got a shorter black antenna on mine and still never have the issues like you mentioned. I would probably bring it in since I rarely use satellite or bluetooth or carplay or anything else. I wish these had cd players...

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I believe the regular radio is an HD radio? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that...or maybe that is only if you upgrade the package to the "infotainment package'.

OP
OP
themattparty

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I believe the regular radio is an HD radio? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that...or maybe that is only if you upgrade the package to the "infotainment package'.
There is an option on the screen for “HD” however I’ve not noticed a difference when turning it off and on.

It has to be a wiring issue, just today I tuned through all FM channels and was lucky to hear anything besides static. I will contact Jeep to see if anyone else has reported a similar issue.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
Check how tight your antenna is screwed into the mount. Might not have been tightened.

Sponsored

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have not had any problems with the radio at all. But I agree with others on the thread, that you should check the antenna to make sure it is not loose.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Mine was delivered with the antenna disconnected at the right lower kick panel were the antenna comes into the cab. Never noticed it for a couple of days as I almost use SXM exclusively. Also found some assembly trash with a plastic bag stuck behind the glove box when I was troubleshooting this.

OP
OP
themattparty

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Mine was delivered with the antenna disconnected at the right lower kick panel were the antenna comes into the cab. Never noticed it for a couple of days as I almost use SXM exclusively. Also found some assembly trash with a plastic bag stuck behind the glove box when I was troubleshooting this.
That would make sense for my issue. Thanks for the info! Will give it a look. Fingers crossed that solves my problem!

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL

I totally agree with you. I live 30 min from downtown Dallas and I can barely get reception on my radio. If you fix the issue. Please let me know.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
That would make sense for my issue. Thanks for the info! Will give it a look. Fingers crossed that solves my problem!
My advice is to drop the glove box down and out. Reach inside and feel for where the antenna base come through the right fender into the cab and feel for the pig tail and follow it down for about 12" or so and it should have a connection point right below the glove box by the kick panel and that goes to the back of your radio from there.

In my case, that antenna cable between the back of the radio to the antenna pigtail connection is wrapped into a wire harness and is somewhat banjo'd at that first connection point off the antenna pigtail. It was a pain to get back connected.
Sponsored

Last edited: