Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
It is a parts supply problem. FCA does not have access to the sensor as a stand-alone item.
Nope. They have plenty of them but for some reason no one has been able to understand they refuse to sell just the sensor. @wibornz crawled straight up Dana/Spycer's ass for a week straight with daily phone calls demanding the part. The guy finally begged him to stop calling and said there is no way we can sell you the part because it is a Mopar part that we are not allowed to release.
There is something going on at FCA which none of us can figure out but they will not sell this solenoid.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Will the other axle still lock? I rarely use the lockers. Just for those spots where two wheels are off the ground or on an exceptionally steep loose pitch. Thanks for the reply.

I asked the service writer if it was covered under the powertrain warranty and was told yes. But you never know until you pick up the jeep.
Once one of the lockers starts to fail the entire system is disabled.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Nope. They have plenty of them but for some reason no one has been able to understand they refuse to sell just the sensor. @wibornz crawled straight up Dana/Spycer's ass for a week straight with daily phone calls demanding the part. The guy finally begged him to stop calling and said there is no way we can sell you the part because it is a Mopar part that we are not allowed to release.
There is something going on at FCA which none of us can figure out but they will not sell this solenoid.
They are part of the axle assembly as far as Jeep is concerned. They receive them whole. Mopar simply rebrands the items they receive from The manufacturer for many of their parts.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you think there will be an aftermarket sensor that pops up? It's been what, maybe a year or two, and so far nothing. I guess since the dealer takes care of it, many people have not had the need to fix it themselves. I just wonder if there ever will be an aftermarket sensor available.
There will be some Chinese knockoff eventually. The aftermarket still doesn’t have hardly anything for the JL/JT unless it happened to overlap with the other 3.6L equipped Chrysler vehicles out there.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Everything has to be difficult.......

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
There are always some components that dealers will only sell as part of a larger set. For whatever reason. When the glass on my Suzuki's wing mirror was broken, I had to replace it from a crashed vehicle. The dealer would only sell the entire wing mirror.

I have seen this with a number of components.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The aftermarket needs to jump on this now. Unless Mopar has updated this part in current Wranglers, which I seriously doubt, this is going to become a common "wear" item that companies can make some decent sales on.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately thread got hijacked a bit and I'm still not sure what I should do if I get the service axle locker system light and I'm in the middle of the desert. It looks like the worst case is I can still drive out with one of the axles locked. Would disconnecting the electronics to the diffs allow the axle to unlock so it could be driven on pavement? If I get the service axle locker system message and I don't activate the locker switch, can I drive the Jeep in 2H,4H and 4L without fear the lockers will self engage? If the dealer can't get me in for service or I'm waiting for parts, can I still drive the Jeep and use 4H and 4L if I don't activate the lockers? As you can see I'm confused as to how the sensor and activator interact in the diff.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
....and FCA isn't paying for it, their supplier probably is.
Not if the module was designed or specified by FCA, which based on Dana's response of not being able to sell it, indicates that it was.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Not if the module was designed or specified by FCA, which based on Dana's response of not being able to sell it, indicates that it was.
So it's a design issue? I figured it was a run of bad sensors. Obviously, having to replace the whole axle instead of just the sensor is a bad design IMHO.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So it's a design issue? I figured it was a run of bad sensors. Obviously, having to replace the whole axle instead of just the sensor is a bad design IMHO.
The sensors which are partially submerged in and are constantly bathed in hot oil are not sealed. Replacement axles have the same sensor in them and are failing again. The process that @chevymitchell created to pot them in epoxy should have been done at the factory.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The sensors which are partially submerged in and are constantly bathed in hot oil are not sealed. Replacement axles have the same sensor in them and are failing again. The process that @chevymitchell created to pot them in epoxy should have been done at the factory.
Is it some sort of capacitive or inductive prox sensor? Used the plastic-tipped ones for a while when upgrading some of our process equipment, then switched to the all stainless ones when the plastic ones started failing. Maybe using these single-draw SS sensors will fix the problem. Of course, that may have been Dana's original design, but JTE switched to the cheaper plastic ones for cost. Accountants have a way of screwing up some really good designs.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it some sort of capacitive or inductive prox sensor? Used the plastic-tipped ones for a while when upgrading some of our process equipment, then switched to the all stainless ones when the plastic ones started failing. Maybe using these single-draw SS sensors will fix the problem. Of course, that may have been Dana's original design, but JTE switched to the cheaper plastic ones for cost. Accountants have a way of screwing up some really good designs.
No sure about that, but the PCB is fully exposed and the unit is not sealed (or not sealed very well) and gear oil seeps in either through the power connector or the cover. Once the module has completely filled, it eventually shorts out when initialized. Since the module is not available separately, the owner has 4 choices:

1. Live with it.
2. Pursue FCA for an axle replacement which is a band-aid since the new module is not sealed either.
3. Pot the modules before they fail.
4. Look at using the Z Automotive "bypass harness", though I cannot tell if it just fools the computer and shuts off the warning message or if it actually brings the axle back into normal operation. With that said, there have been reports here that the harness did not work.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So...what exactly is this sensor doing? I know there is a speed limitation on the locker engaging and staying engaged. So is it a simple speed sensor?
Sponsored