Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have a 2018 JLUR and it is in for the second rear axle replacement due to the locker sensor failing. I've gotten conflicting info from the folks at the dealership as to what happens if I continue to drive. I'm not denigrating the dealership, they have been very good, they just don't know for sure. Can it fail to where the diff is locked? Does the locker system still work and I just don't know its status? Could I be stranded because of the sensor fail? Yes I know about potting the sensor and may resort to that with this axle but I bought a new Jeep so I wouldn't need to do the wrenching myself and I hate to do it while FCA is responsible for the fix. With both failures, the warning light just flashed momentarily and the drive system display appeared to be correct.
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When the position sensor fails, the system gives a “service locker” error and it will not allow you to lock the diff.
It will never fail in the locked position.

So, the worst thing that comes as a result of a sensor failure is the loss of the locker functionality. I am not aware of any other issues that result from sensor failure.

edit: I have been told that it can indeed fail in the locked position and I have no reason to doubt that.

Last edited:

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Out of curiosity, do you know if this is being covered under the bumper to bumper warranty or the longer powertrain warranty?
Just wondering when the warranty coverage ends, I might pot my sensors when it does.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Will the other axle still lock? I rarely use the lockers. Just for those spots where two wheels are off the ground or on an exceptionally steep loose pitch. Thanks for the reply.

I asked the service writer if it was covered under the powertrain warranty and was told yes. But you never know until you pick up the jeep.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I guess I need address this. For quick clarification, do I need to do the front and rear on my Rubicon and would the Z automotive inline plug take care of the issue without having to open up the diff?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
No need for a response sir as I read the excellent write up you did on the potting procedure.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Yes I know about potting the sensor and may resort to that with this axle but I bought a new Jeep so I wouldn't need to do the wrenching myself and I hate to do it while FCA is responsible for the fix.
I have learnt a whole lot on this forum. I have met some very bright people here.

I have learnt that the Wrangler is a good product but FCA's quality control is not as good as it should be.

It is best to identify and fix the defects you find during the warranty period. You can get much of this done for free. You will have to pay for anything you discover once the warranty is up.

People argue that it shouldn't be this way. I like to face reality and adjust to it.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I've read a little about this, not much. Do they honestly need to replace the axle? Couldn't they just replace the sensor? Why wouldn't they come up with a better sensor and/or location fix so they wouldn't have to keep dumping $$ into expensive warranty fixes.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I've read a little about this, not much. Do they honestly need to replace the axle? Couldn't they just replace the sensor? Why wouldn't they come up with a better sensor and/or location fix so they wouldn't have to keep dumping $$ into expensive warranty fixes.
It is a parts supply problem. FCA does not have access to the sensor as a stand-alone item.

Sponsored

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wonder how many owners have re-geared and the dealer didn’t warranty the sensor claiming the re-gear as the issue!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This issue will be much lesser once the aftermarket catches up and they sell the sensor at o’reillys/NAPA/autozone.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't accurate, David. @mgroeger can attest on Fat Ninja in a drive-thru.
@DavidArmen I can def attest to the fact it can fail in the locked position. I don't know if it is because I have a Tazer connected to it (which allows locker usage in 2wd) or if the unit flaked out so bad on its own but the fact is I locked up just driving down the road.
I know another guy who this happened to as well which is why I recommend unplugging the harness from the rear as soon as you start getting the locker warning lights on your dash. It takes about 30 seconds to do this and then you know you are safe from any issues.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
This issue will be much lesser once the aftermarket catches up and they sell the sensor at o’reillys/NAPA/autozone.
Do you think there will be an aftermarket sensor that pops up? It's been what, maybe a year or two, and so far nothing. I guess since the dealer takes care of it, many people have not had the need to fix it themselves. I just wonder if there ever will be an aftermarket sensor available.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how many owners have re-geared and the dealer didn’t warranty the sensor claiming the re-gear as the issue!
Me

And I am actually glad they rejected it because it forced me and @chevymitchell to better understand what was going on. I didn't have to deal with all the BS the others are dealing with regarding getting MULTIPLE axle replacements and dealing with dealer BS. Shawn came up with a permanent fix for sensors that haven't started to fail and has posted it here. I was lucky enought to harvest a sensor out of my wife's aftermarket axles before it failed and seal it with silicon and have had zero issues. So IMO we came out ahead and have been wheeling ever since :)
Sponsored